Keeping In Rhythm
Neosmithk
Sep 24 2007, 10:38 AM
GMC:er
I watched Kris' lesson on metronomes, so i started to play with one. when i practice, i do a lot of scales - 4 of them, up and down, several times - and i always use a metronome. after a few ups and downs i noticed that i wasn't really keeping in beat too well, i either went too fast or too slow. i slowed the metronome down to 100 bpm and just played with each beep, yet i still wasn't staying in beat after 5 or so notes. i kept playing and kept going out of beat. it was rare that i stayed with the metronome for a whole up and down. i can play one scale decently fast, and i was still going out of rhythm with that one, too. i kept practicing for a few days like that, thinking it would get better but it didn't get that much better.

are there any practicing techniques or tools than can help with this? i really have to concentrate to play the scale right and listen to the metronome at the same time

any advice is appreciated.

thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
JVM
Sep 24 2007, 10:53 AM
Learning Roadie
Just do basics first to get used to the metronome. At first try just quarter notes at 100bpm, hit it once each beep. Move on to 8ths, 16ths, 16th triplets, whatever you can do at 100bpm. When you can keep those up for a while then move onto scales.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Neosmithk
Sep 24 2007, 11:50 AM
GMC:er
Thanks for the advice! I tried it out and it was working great.

I'm also having another issue with hammer-ons and pull-offs. I can do them, but the pull-offs are very jerky and involve huge movements, so I often hit other strings. My hammer-ons are weak and quiet and require another huge movement to get enough force to make a noise. I am currently practicing with an acoustic guitar--I'm getting an electric soon smile.gif--but my friend has an electric and I have the same trouble with both guitars.

It's a bit annoying but I am getting better as I practice more, but if there's any way to help it, I'll do it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Sep 24 2007, 04:23 PM
Instructor
Hey Neosmithk! JVM gave you a good advice as for metronome. As for legato (hammer-ons and pull-offs) visit my Legato Etude Lesson:

http://www2.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-gui...esson/index.htm

Listen and watch my explanation and you'll find your answer! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 10:33 AM