2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Drum Programing Question...
Spock
Jan 1 2013, 12:05 PM
GMC:er
Hello everyone.

I use EZDrummer now for my drum parts and ideas. While I like it for rhythms to give me initial groove ideas, I am hindered when I want to quickly edit a portion to fit a beat that I am hearing in my head. I find manually moving the individual ticks to the correct position very tedious, time consuming and a creativity killer.

What I am wanting is an affordable, and great sounding drum program that I can tap in a drum beat using a midi drum pad. Something that I can highlight a section and record a loop and edit it in real time by tapping the pads with my finger tips.

Does something like that exist out there that anyone could recommend? And if so, what drum kit package or extension/plug-in would you recommend that has natural sounding rock drums? For my stuff I don't care for the electronica drum tones, I love the EZDrummer Metal Heads and Metal Machine drum sounds.

Thanx!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 1 2013, 01:25 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Spock @ Jan 1 2013, 12:05 PM) *
Hello everyone.

I use EZDrummer now for my drum parts and ideas. While I like it for rhythms to give me initial groove ideas, I am hindered when I want to quickly edit a portion to fit a beat that I am hearing in my head. I find manually moving the individual ticks to the correct position very tedious, time consuming and a creativity killer.

What I am wanting is an affordable, and great sounding drum program that I can tap in a drum beat using a midi drum pad. Something that I can highlight a section and record a loop and edit it in real time by tapping the pads with my finger tips.

Does something like that exist out there that anyone could recommend? And if so, what drum kit package or extension/plug-in would you recommend that has natural sounding rock drums? For my stuff I don't care for the electronica drum tones, I love the EZDrummer Metal Heads and Metal Machine drum sounds.

Thanx!

What kind of midi drum pad you have? I suppose you are reffering to a hardware unit like this :

If you have a midi drum pad, you can just use ezdrummer you already have for the beats.
The thing with midi is that you can control it with any device that sends out midi.

Basically to do this :

1. Create a new midi track
2. Select its input to be your drum pad (midi input)
3. Select the tracks output to be Ezdrummer or any other drum VST

When you have it setup like this, you should be hearing Ezdrummer play everything you "tap" with your fingers on the midi drum pad. You might need to turn on the "monitoring" option on the midi track to hear the sound.

When you have a midi controller, you don't need any specific software for drums - you can use the controller to control any Virtual Instrument in your recording software (including drums like Ezdrummer etc, piano etc...).

Please let me know if this helps.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Spock
Jan 1 2013, 04:17 PM
Awesome! so I could use my keyboard I already have. That Alesis is exactly what I am talking about though, I hoped it would work with the tones I already have. I think it would be easier tapping on that (for me) than the keyboard though.

Thanks for the advice!

One ore question. When doing it like this is there a way to make slightly off timed "taps" snap within the tempo grid?

Looks like aside from a $5.00 app, I already have everything I need, found this...

This post has been edited by Spock: Jan 1 2013, 04:04 PM

+Quote Post
Spock
Jan 1 2013, 05:19 PM
Ended up going with this one - only $4.99 from the iTunes App store. Appears to do everything specific to my needs and more...

Call Midipads

This post has been edited by Spock: Jan 1 2013, 05:27 PM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 2 2013, 01:08 AM
QUOTE (Spock @ Jan 1 2013, 04:17 PM) *
One ore question. When doing it like this is there a way to make slightly off timed "taps" snap within the tempo grid?

Yes - once you have the midi track down with the notes "recorded", you can adjust everything and move around the notes. All DAWs feature a tool/option quantize which allows you to "snap in" the midi notes to right places (in relation to tempo grid) with lots of options to tweak. Very useful for quick timing/latency fixes.

Oh great - you'll be using iPad to control midi! smile.gif
Very interesting - please let me know how it goes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 2 2013, 10:21 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jan 2 2013, 12:08 AM) *
Yes - once you have the midi track down with the notes "recorded", you can adjust everything and move around the notes. All DAWs feature a tool/option quantize which allows you to "snap in" the midi notes to right places (in relation to tempo grid) with lots of options to tweak. Very useful for quick timing/latency fixes.

Oh great - you'll be using iPad to control midi! smile.gif
Very interesting - please let me know how it goes.

Hehe! Great input here Bogdan - this is exactly what I had in mind as I was reading this topic. Slight variations in tapping those notes on the screen will most definitely need re-arranging.

+Quote Post
Spock
Jan 3 2013, 09:41 PM
The latency going over WIFI was terrible, so I am off to Guitar Center to purchase a MIDI-USB Interface. It is ridiculous that the USB dock connector that comes with iPad can not run MIDI assignments to your DAW. I have been reading that people have to daisy chain:

iPad > iPad camera connector > USB to MIDI > MIDI female Coupling < USB to MIDI < iMac

Or the iRig USB MIDI out of the iPad > mini USB to USB cable > iMac

Or the Line6 MIDI Mobilizer II which would still require another adapter. OR, the Alesis iO Dock which is around $170.

So, I'm going to go talk with the guys in the sound center at Guitar Center and see what they suggest and will post here the final solution. I have been doing search after search and this is a question many have asked and there are not many clear/suitable answers.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 3 2013, 11:06 PM
Instructor
Interesting thread! It's cool to use Ipad for this! I'm currently using this controller for playing drums and other VSTi:

Attached Image

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Spock
Jan 3 2013, 11:40 PM
Hey Gab,

Well, that appears to be the way to go.

I just got in from talking to a guy at Guitar Center and it appears, that aside from WIFI/Bluetooth for the iPad, the Daisy Chain formula I posted above was correct, but a nightmare, even though it would have worked.

So it would have taken the iRig MIDI @ $69, plus 2 MIDI to USB cables and a female/female coupling, which would have put it around $110 total.

So I abandoned the iPad route and went with the Akai MPD18 Compact MIDI Controller Percussion Pad. It's listed @ $99 but was on special for $70.

I'm happy with this solution, but think it's pretty crapy that the iPad isn't plug and play as is. I mean for it to work (wired) you have to go USB to MIDI and back to USB, which is ridiculous. dry.gif

Maybe someone else searching will locate this thread and save themselves some time and hassle.

This is pretty cool...

This post has been edited by Spock: Jan 3 2013, 11:31 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 3 2013, 11:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Spock @ Jan 3 2013, 07:40 PM) *
Hey Gab,

I just got in from talking to a guy at Guitar Center and it appears, that aside from WIFI/Bluetooth for the iPad, the Daisy Chain formula I posted above was correct, but a nightmare, even though it would have worked.

So it would have taken the iRig MIDI @ $69, plus 2 MIDI to USB cables and a female/female coupling, which would have put it around $110 total.

So I abandoned the iPad route and went with the Akai MPD18 Compact MIDI Controller Percussion Pad. It's listed @ $99 but was on special for $70.

I'm happy with this solution, but think it's pretty crapy that the iPad isn't plug and play as is. I mean for it to work (wired) you have to go USB to MIDI and back to USB, which is ridiculous. dry.gif

Maybe someone else searching will locate this thread and save themselves some time and hassle.

This is pretty cool...

Thanks for sharing your experience and congrats on your new acquisition. Once again hardware wins over software.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 3 2013, 11:54 PM
QUOTE (Spock @ Jan 3 2013, 11:40 PM) *
Hey Gab,

This is pretty cool...

Congratulations on the purchase! smile.gif
That is a very good way to control drums and much more comfortable then playing them on keyboard.

This guy is killing "midi tapped drums" BTW :

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
Jan 3 2013, 11:56 PM
No doubt, he's amazing. I'm sure for the first few months everything I do with it will sound like the drum beat to My Sharona.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 3 2013, 11:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Spock @ Jan 3 2013, 07:56 PM) *
No doubt, he's amazing. I'm sure for the first few months everything I do with it will sound like the drum beat to My Sharona.

hahaha that's not something bad but be patient and keep on experiment! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Spock
Jan 4 2013, 12:05 AM
I don't have time for patience! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 4 2013, 09:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Spock @ Jan 3 2013, 11:05 PM) *
I don't have time for patience! biggrin.gif

My sharona from 'The Knack'? That's an utterly impossible song to drum laugh.gif

Mate, I write drums with my mouse smile.gif so, I don't think it's such a fuss if I don't have a fancy pad or something tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
Jan 4 2013, 04:01 PM
Ideally I would like to as well Cosmin, I have tried and I'm sure I could get the hang of it, but for me, I thought it would be easier to tap out the beats. I think writing it as you are doing requires a level of skill and knowledge of the instrument I don't have, but I sure can tap a beat on a desk.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 4 2013, 08:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Spock @ Jan 4 2013, 03:01 PM) *
Ideally I would like to as well Cosmin, I have tried and I'm sure I could get the hang of it, but for me, I thought it would be easier to tap out the beats. I think writing it as you are doing requires a level of skill and knowledge of the instrument I don't have, but I sure can tap a beat on a desk.

It's the same mate - as long as you understand the way the elements are arranged in subdivisions on the piano roll, it's nothing but a difference of input - to me at least smile.gif

If you have trouble - jippy to your thread and we can shed light on this matter as well wink.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 5 2013, 12:33 AM

Bingo smile.gif You can also use your standard qwerty computer keyboard if you like, or your standard midi music keyboard. The ipad, ipod, iphone platforms are all handy touch interfaces and do a great job at this sort of thing smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Spock @ Jan 1 2013, 11:19 AM) *
Ended up going with this one - only $4.99 from the iTunes App store. Appears to do everything specific to my needs and more...

Call Midipads

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 5 2013, 08:34 AM
This is a VERY spiff app guys!! Just downloaded the "lite" version which is FREE!!!! Works as a great midi trigger!! I"ve got it working over WIFI so it's wireless as a bonus. No physical connection required.

Attached Image
QUOTE (Spock @ Jan 1 2013, 11:19 AM) *

Call Midipads

+Quote Post
Spock
Jan 5 2013, 09:47 AM
Awesome man. Glad it worked for you. I was able to get mine to work over WIFI as well, and for synth parts it may have been okay, but for fast drum parts, there was way too much lag for me.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:39 AM