> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

8 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 >  
Mr. Spock's Applied Theory Galactic Compendium
Spock
Apr 25 2014, 10:29 AM
GMC:er
5 Lessons is very hard to choose from. There are so many aspects I need to work on. I really like the riff lessons, especially yours with the baritone but I sold my baritone, and would rely on a foot pedal to achieve drop C tuning.

But more than riffing, I am interested in soloing, learning patterns and scales, finger coordination and synchronization. So in picking these, I am not choosing favorites, but just seeing there are aspects of these solos that I would really like to learn.

If I had to sum up what I wanted to be able to do, it would be play the pentatonic scale Zakk Wylde style - that would be my ultimate ambition at this point.

There were a few lessons in the style of Zakk and they're all killer - I was about to pick one but I thought for me, it utilized too much wah pedal, and I just want to concentrate of fingers right now.

Little Finger Work-out
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...inger-work-out/

Beginner Solo in D
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...nner-solo-in-d/

Pentatonic Solo Lesson
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...entatonic-solo/

RHCP meet Zach Wylde
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...eet-zakk-wylde/

Killer Pentatonics 2 - Zakk Wylde style
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Killer...kk-Wylde-Style/

Melodic Soloing Jeff Beck style
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Melodi...eff-Beck-Style/

and the list goes on. But there is enough here to last me a very long time - since except for weekends I have limited time on guitar, about 2 hours a day, 1 before work and 1 after.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Spock: Apr 25 2014, 10:30 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 25 2014, 03:24 PM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif so you already know how it sounds? If so, first thing is to play it in regular tuning, but keep the positions smile.gif Or he wants you to transpose the piece with the same notes in standard tuning?

Once you understood triads, the rest of the chord types are nothing else but various other intervals stacked on top of those triads. Your assumption with the C9 chord proved you understand the idea, but is it a Cwith an added 9th or a C7 with an added 9th? As you wrote it, it would be C E G Bb D smile.gif If you want it to be C E G B D it should be CM7add9

My suggestion is to finish the two lessons you are working on - your first mission of bringing them up to 75% speed correctly played. After that we should tackle one of the first out of the 5 - The beginner solo in D

Let me know about the piece your son has sent you! It can be a great exercise!

QUOTE (Spock @ Apr 24 2014, 07:55 PM) *
Chatting with my son today. He sent me an audio file of an intro idea to a song which sounded pretty awesome in an insane kind of way.

I told him, I could play that - because he is a drummer, but writes this stuff in Logic. But he was explaining the guitar part to me in chat - and of course, this is why I wish this stuff would sink into my thick skull...

...it's written for C standard tuning

...the guitar part wouldn't be that hard, It's just outlining a C9 chord with a G at the top. Have you gotten to 9th chords in your theory stuff?

...a C9 chord would be just a regular C triad, C-E-G, with the added 7th and 9th, B and D.

...It would probably make more sense if I could show you on piano.

...But if you wanted to learn the part on the E standard guitar, the equivalent notes would be E-G#-B-D#-F# with another B on top for the highest note.

Man I wish this stuff came naturally or I had stuck with it more as a kid. Anyway, I sort of understand it.

Then he sent me this to do it regular tuning...

[attachment=36870:Screen_S...31.02_PM.png]

I'm happy he is into music, my parents weren't very musical but my mother did have me into piano lessons as a child. I quit one day because there was a hornets nest at the front door and I was afraid to walk up to it - then too embarrassed to tell my parents I was afraid of the hornets nest. Oh well.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 25 2014, 11:44 PM
Indeed man - I have got all day tomorrow to practice, no friends coming over, going nowhere - I have needed this for a long time.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 26 2014, 08:38 AM
Instructor
Enjoy your time then smile.gif And let me know what you got with your son's song suggestion smile.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 26 2014, 03:57 PM
DISCLAIMER!!!

I wanted to get something up so you wouldn't think I was just bullshitting you.

This is at 80% - which is still too slow for me to get the feel for it, and you will hear me struggling with the tempo - needing to go faster, yet, I can't play it perfect at 100% yet either. And to be honest, even watching Adrian, it's more of a feel thing then a tempo thing - I'm not counting how many times I am doing a part, just do it until it feels right to change - but doing it slow, I find myself really worried about when to change.

Anyway - here it is at 80 - with some flat bends.

[attachment=36877:Me_80.mp3]

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 26 2014, 06:26 PM
Right now - even though it's still slop, I'm going to go at 85% speed, that is what feels the most natural and I can hear the change progressions in the backing tracks without anticipating mentally. To me 75% is almost as hard as 100%.

I appreciate you pushing me though. I am glad I'm not giving up and settling.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 27 2014, 01:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Spock @ Apr 26 2014, 05:26 PM) *
Right now - even though it's still slop, I'm going to go at 85% speed, that is what feels the most natural and I can hear the change progressions in the backing tracks without anticipating mentally. To me 75% is almost as hard as 100%.

I appreciate you pushing me though. I am glad I'm not giving up and settling.

Hey mate! It's not bad! But I would suggest a different approach here smile.gif

You need to understand note durations and especially their duration against a landmark - the metronome or backing track elements. In that way, you will be able to play a piece no matter how slow - it's indeed true that some pieces lose groove from a certain tempo downwards, but the more you try this the more you will be able to lock into a groove regardless of the tempo. Sometimes, speed comes faster, simply because you understood the duration of a note or a group of notes and the brain immediately performs... simply because it understands smile.gif

That's why you need to:

- memorize
- understand
- replicate slow
- increase speed while holding on to timing, tightness, interpretation

This is how I see it smile.gif

How are the other things coming along?

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 28 2014, 11:49 AM
I haven't really worked on anything else yet. I'm putting 90% of my playing to this solo - victimizing everyone within earshot of me. I took a few minutes to work on a new idea with a friend over the weekend, and just play some things I already knew for about an hour - other than that, it has been this solo, slow medium and fast. I find that when I first start practicing it after a break I am much better than after I've played it for a few times through, regardless, I keep at it - because I know eventually my fingers will just do the right thing and this goal will be achieved.

This post has been edited by Spock: Apr 28 2014, 11:51 AM

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 28 2014, 01:22 PM
I know this isn't what you're asking for, and I am practicing at slow speed - it's because of that that I am much better at 100% than I was even 3 days ago.

Of course, I'm not there yet but I'm practicing at intervals of 75%, 80%, 85%, 90% & 100% speed. Also, last Friday I think, I had some wrongs notes.

Here's the slop at 100% speed - but even this is by far better than it was 3 days. If it were louder with a little more gain it could pass in a drunken bar, but I will not be satisfied until I can nail it 100% in my sleep.

Attached File  WY100.mp3 ( 716.75K ) Number of downloads: 94

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 29 2014, 08:37 AM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif

It's slop indeed - don't rush head in thinking that SOMEHOW you will trick your fingers into playing fast, accurate, tight and expressive overnight smile.gif Please have patience and give yourself time to build up all of the above, even if it takes a month!

Do we have a deal?

QUOTE (Spock @ Apr 28 2014, 12:22 PM) *
I know this isn't what you're asking for, and I am practicing at slow speed - it's because of that that I am much better at 100% than I was even 3 days ago.

Of course, I'm not there yet but I'm practicing at intervals of 75%, 80%, 85%, 90% & 100% speed. Also, last Friday I think, I had some wrongs notes.

Here's the slop at 100% speed - but even this is by far better than it was 3 days. If it were louder with a little more gain it could pass in a drunken bar, but I will not be satisfied until I can nail it 100% in my sleep.

Attached File  WY100.mp3 ( 716.75K ) Number of downloads: 94

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 29 2014, 09:38 AM
Oh yea - I'm not gonna be satisfied until I have it with confidence, but I am happy with how far it's come in less than a week. I've already been practicing at slow speed for 30 minutes this morning and it's 4:37 a.m. Gotta hop on the treadmill for an hour and then back to the guitar for an hour before I go to work.

This post has been edited by Spock: Apr 29 2014, 09:38 AM

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 29 2014, 12:02 PM
Time to relearn the patterns. I put the cart before the horse.

This morning I decided to write the notes down on paper. I was still playing it wrong. So now I'm starting from scratch on the 2nd half of that solo. The good news is, the new pattern seems easier for my fingers to fall on, the bad news is, I'm having to play it at around 25% speed just to get my finger memorization to overcome the patterns I just engrained into them for the past 4 days.

This post has been edited by Spock: Apr 29 2014, 12:02 PM

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 30 2014, 12:08 AM
Just figured out something very interesting in practicing this solo tonight. I have 3 guitars right now (SE on the way though), a U.S. PRS Standard 24, a U.S. PRS Custom 22 and the Jackson I just purchased.

I love the feel of all 3 guitars. I have found that my fingers work better for certain parts of that solo on different guitars. For instance, I've been practicing this solo on the Jackson and that bluesy bend part is a bit of stretch to keep comfortable and clean. When I have to go from the bend on the B on the 15th fret and drop to the E on the 12th fret, there is some residual noise because of my fingers scraping other string - however, this does not happen on either of the PRS's. Yet, the Standard 24 it feels as if the fret space is thinner up on frets 17 - 21, so in that fast part, my fingers actually sort of rub together more, or I have to pinch them together to get there - but the spacing is perfect for those frets on the Jackson, all in all though, the Custom 22 feels best all around playing this song.

Anyway, as you just read I am back to square 1 playing this solo as slow as possible, but the patterns seem easier playing the correct notes, so I hope to be at 75% in no time. I was down to 1 or 2% before work just memorizing the new patterns, but they are coming quickly this evening.

Just thought that was interesting, the assumed difference in the playability of the necks. The Jackson is fun, because the neck is so wide and thin, but I guess I've just used a PRS for so long that is the feel I'm accustomed to.

BTW, this is the exact guitar I just got, it's in the mail as of today - they sent me a link to these pictures this morning after it passed inspection.

I'll get back to you as soon as I have a recording worth sharing.

Peace!

This post has been edited by Spock: Apr 30 2014, 12:13 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 30 2014, 01:17 PM
Instructor
Sweet Lord... this guitar is BEA U TI FUL!! Wow..wow...wow biggrin.gif

Anyway - it's normal man - I always feel differences from one guitar to the other but, as you said, I got very accustomed to the PRS feel, as an overall instrument and it feels strange when I sometimes pick up the JEM smile.gif

I am looking forward to see the new recordings good Sir! biggrin.gif Remember - no rush, keep it clean, in good timing, tight and articulated, deal?

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 30 2014, 01:40 PM
Yes sir Captain, those are my goals.

+Quote Post
Spock
May 1 2014, 11:48 AM
Morning Captain.

I still suck at it, but getting better! Went ahead and picked out the entire song this morning so I can play it all the way through. I have the solo at 75% - 85% but not with the conviction I want or you're wanting to hear, and my 100% speed slop is better too.

It's that intent and conviction on each string I want, that just isn't there yet. I can play each part over and over and get it, but stringing all the parts together - gonna take more time.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 1 2014, 09:13 PM
Instructor
No problemmo man smile.gif

Please do take your time and don't knock your head against a wall because you can't reach 100% speed in 5 days. I am willing to bet money on the fact that if you play PERFECTLY at 75% you will have a LOT more chances to play great at 100% in a shorter period of time smile.gif Are you willing to try the idea? I mean focus ONLY on playing as articulated, tight, rhythmic and clean as possible at 75% and not minding the 100% for a while?

+Quote Post
Spock
May 1 2014, 09:46 PM
Yes, that is what I do. My wife is the one I am concerned about beating my head. I play that same part slow, morning and night, while being a vegetable in front of the tv. Sometimes I will wing it fast, and even gone up to 110%, just to see if 100% felt like a relief - which it did, for about a second.

This perfection stuff is all new to me, I have never in my life played anything perfect, even my own songs. My philosophy was, it's not in the mistake, it's in the recovery because a screwup is inevitable.

But yes, i'm sticking with it, playing slowly and trying to articulate each note more, and understanding the feel of each of the patterns.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 2 2014, 02:04 PM
Instructor
You mentioned a very important aspect here smile.gif Sitting in front of the TV while practicing is not a good idea at all.

When you practice, you have to give your 100% focused attention to what you are practicing - having internet, TV or other sources of distraction can lead to practicing without having your whole senses on the matter.

When you practice, you have to pay attention to a lot of things - guitar, fingers, body, strain, fretting pressure, right hand stamina, pick grip, shoulder stress, backing track/ metronome, intonation and so on. If you give your brain a major source of distraction such as the tv, you will only be distracted from being able to observe the above mentioned and some others as well smile.gif

Please give this some thought and build a healthy practicing regimen habit - deal?

QUOTE (Spock @ May 1 2014, 08:46 PM) *
Yes, that is what I do. My wife is the one I am concerned about beating my head. I play that same part slow, morning and night, while being a vegetable in front of the tv. Sometimes I will wing it fast, and even gone up to 110%, just to see if 100% felt like a relief - which it did, for about a second.

This perfection stuff is all new to me, I have never in my life played anything perfect, even my own songs. My philosophy was, it's not in the mistake, it's in the recovery because a screwup is inevitable.

But yes, i'm sticking with it, playing slowly and trying to articulate each note more, and understanding the feel of each of the patterns.

+Quote Post
Spock
May 2 2014, 02:42 PM
HAHA - I knew you would zero in on that. I didn't mean to say that I practice in front of the TV all the time, I practice 90% of the time back where my setup is, and sometimes on the back porch, but, I also feel that when I am ready to just allow my mind to sit and not do anything, like right before bed, sometimes I will still keep the guitar with me and lightly do it - drilling the patterns.

Something interesting I noticed last night was, and have noticed this before, I was on the back porch practicing and my sister came over, while I was listening to her I noticed my fingers would not stumble up, but when I went back to concentrating, the stumbling resumed - there is almost a feeling of disconnectedness that allows the muscle memory to take over and the analyzation to be put aside. I wonder how much of my issues do stem from thinking too much.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:32 PM