A Question About Tension And/or Arm Getting Tired..., ... while doing certain excercises
Frobb
Mar 10 2008, 04:24 PM
GMC:er
Hey fellow GMCers,
I've got this question I've been wondering about for a couple of weeks or so.

Chromatic excercises are a part of my practicing schedule and I do classics such as "1234", "1324" and "1423". Meaning, if we take "1234" for instance, that I play frets 1234 from low E to high E, and then reversing the pattern and going 4321 from high E to low E, and continues the same thing down the fretboard all the way to fret 12, and then going back to fret 1. You get the picture!

A couple of weeks ago I started doing this at 110 bpm, playing sixteenth notes, and when I do these excercises at this tempo I tend to get a tiring feeling in my right arm when I've done the excercise for a couple of minutes or so.

Is this tiring feeling a sign of my arm being tense while playing this and that I've pushed myself too hard? Or is it simply that I haven't developed the endurance required for doing these kind of things at this speed for a longer period of time?

Thanks in advance. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fatstrat
Mar 10 2008, 06:02 PM
QUOTE (Frobb @ Mar 10 2008, 10:24 AM) *
Hey fellow GMCers,
I've got this question I've been wondering about for a couple of weeks or so.

Chromatic excercises are a part of my practicing schedule and I do classics such as "1234", "1324" and "1423". Meaning, if we take "1234" for instance, that I play frets 1234 from low E to high E, and then reversing the pattern and going 4321 from high E to low E, and continues the same thing down the fretboard all the way to fret 12, and then going back to fret 1. You get the picture!

A couple of weeks ago I started doing this at 110 bpm, playing sixteenth notes, and when I do these excercises at this tempo I tend to get a tiring feeling in my right arm when I've done the excercise for a couple of minutes or so.

Is this tiring feeling a sign of my arm being tense while playing this and that I've pushed myself too hard? Or is it simply that I haven't developed the endurance required for doing these kind of things at this speed for a longer period of time?

Thanks in advance. smile.gif

Hey I had the same problem when I first started with a serious practice schedule....fortunately though it's a quick fix!

The first thing you could try is elevating the leg that you rest your guitar on when sitting down. It feels to me like an unnatural position having both legs on the ground without one elevated. The second thing you could try is slowing down your exercises to a comfortable pace. When your arm stops hurting and you can go for 10 or 15 minutes (alternate and chromatic picking) without it cramping up then you know that you've reached a good pace. The cramping is usually a sign that your arms aren't ready for that speed.

So just make sure you always warm up prior to jumping into the higher speeds and you should be fine.

Hope this helps!!!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear:

Guitars: Guild D-55, Taylor 110-E, 1992 Epiphone Sheraton II (JB neck and '59 bridge), PRS SE singlecut (SD Alnico II neck and Gibby Bustbucker Pro bridge)

Amps: Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25

Effects: Boss DD-7, BD-2, and Dunlop CryBaby

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 10 2008, 09:50 PM
Instructor
You should practice at slower tempo first then jump to 110bpm and always warm up man

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Frobb
Mar 12 2008, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Since I already do elevate the leg that I rest my guitar on and warm up before I do these excercises I guess I'll jump to the conclusion that I've pushed myself too hard. I'll simply have to slow down a bit.

Thanks again. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Mar 12 2008, 03:02 PM
Instructor
Try this, after a proper warm-up play it as you play so far, but when you start feeling the tension slow down a bit, and when tension releases then speed up again, and repeat it several times. Try pushing yourself to the limit but don't stay there too long. And always, if you feel a pain then STOP imediately and check what are you doing wrong. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 12 2008, 04:36 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Just take your time with this and your body will adapt and you will have more endurance wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Frobb
Mar 14 2008, 09:01 PM
I've realized I can do these excercises for approx. 8 minutes at 110 bpm before my arm starts to get tired, so I guess I've found a pretty good speed to practice at. Maybe I should to it a tad bit slower.
Thank you guys for helping me figuring this out biggrin.gif and thanks Dejan for that advice of yours, it seems to work quite good actually. smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:02 PM