Scarlet Solo 3rd Gen
Adam
Jan 4 2020, 12:23 AM
Learning Roadie
My first interface arrived today and at the moment I'm following the instruction videos. It's really small and a little light but seems very sturdy. So far, it looks simple to use. I'm used to having a software CD included in the hardware box but I feel the way Focusrite did it makes things much easier.

I picked Ableton Live Lite as my DAW, because some forums said it's easier than Pro Tools for composing and that's what I hope to do with it but I see I'm entitled to Pro Tools (it wasn't a choose-one-only thing) and I'll try that too a bit later. People say on the forums that Pro Tools is a standard in the industry, so it's worth learning.

It's a lot of new things bt I'm learning. At the moment I'm neither happy with the purchase nor disappointed. I managed to get it to work and set up the volume level, so it's a start. I'll give it some time and see how it goes. I'll have to switch between recorder devices for recording and talking to people online but it's not a big drawback. I'm now considering getting a small USB-MIDI keyboard and try composing some tracks but not gonna happen anytime soon if at all.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 4 2020, 06:32 AM
GMC:er
Congrats on your new interface! It's the center piece of any home studio. It opens up so many options for recording. I think you will love it as you learn more about it. It's a great choice of gear as well. For the money, it can't be beat imho. I've never used the daw you picked. Most folks use REAPER as it's free and really good. I'd say download and install reaper and try it to see what you think. Pro Tools is the choice of pro studios all over the world so pro tools free is worth having on your system. Pro Tools is probably the most difficult to use as it's an AVID product and works in a very AVID way. Much the same as the AVID video editors. They have their own quirks but they are very very fast on nearly computer. Pro Tools is worth knowing because so many folks use it. The same thing goes for reaper.
You can download reaper at this link.
https://www.reaper.fm/download.php
I've got reaper, pro tools and Logic X (logic is mac only) installed on my main rigs. Being able to open projects from other people and being able to share projects is something you'll figure out along the way.

I would say download AMPLITUBE right away so you have a good guitar simulator and can record without the need of having an amp! It's free to download and has several free amps/mics/cabs.Here is the download link for amplitube. Plug directly in to your scarlett and launch your daw, then load this plugin on the same track your guitar is on and BAM!! Virtual guitar rig.
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/ampli...ube-custom-shop

QUOTE (Adam @ Jan 3 2020, 07:23 PM) *
My first interface arrived today and at the moment I'm following the instruction videos. It's really small and a little light but seems very sturdy. So far, it looks simple to use. I'm used to having a software CD included in the hardware box but I feel the way Focusrite did it makes things much easier.

I picked Ableton Live Lite as my DAW, because some forums said it's easier than Pro Tools for composing and that's what I hope to do with it but I see I'm entitled to Pro Tools (it wasn't a choose-one-only thing) and I'll try that too a bit later. People say on the forums that Pro Tools is a standard in the industry, so it's worth learning.

It's a lot of new things bt I'm learning. At the moment I'm neither happy with the purchase nor disappointed. I managed to get it to work and set up the volume level, so it's a start. I'll give it some time and see how it goes. I'll have to switch between recorder devices for recording and talking to people online but it's not a big drawback. I'm now considering getting a small USB-MIDI keyboard and try composing some tracks but not gonna happen anytime soon if at all.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 4 2020, 06:55 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Scarletts are great Adam,

I'm using a 2nd gen 18i8 which is brilliant. I don't know if the "Focusrite Control" software is the same on the 3rd gen where you set up the output volumes but it takes a bit of getting used to, once sorted though you don't really need to fiddle with it very much.

A lot of companies now aren't including CDs, I guess it saves money and they rely on people having Internet access to get the info.

Have you tried Reaper DAW? Very powerful, amazing price and lots of users on here to help you out plus, you can trial it forever if you can tolerate waiting for the splash screen to disappear after 20 seconds. That only happens once your official trial has expired. Its so good though and such a good price with constant updates most people buy it. It also comes with a fair amount of fx plugins.

Pro Tools is a click monster, some things that take one or two clicks in Reaper can take six clicks in Pro Tools plus in the lite (First) version there are a lot of limitations. You can always get it later on from the Avid website, you don't need a Scarlett purchase to qualify iirc.

I tried Albeton lite after using Reaper for a while and couldn't get along with it but some love it.

You've made a great choice buddy, just consider Reaper before you get too deep into Albeton, it's a nightmare learning a new DAW if you get used to another one a find out down the line it's not all you thought it would be which can happen with lite versions. Reaper is a full blown DAW that can do pretty much anything and the support forum is great plus as I said, there are a lot of users on here.

Enjoy your new purchase buddy.

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 4 2020, 06:41 PM
GMC:er
Ableton is focused on live playing, like midi/loop order and triggering used with midi keyboards or touchpads. That was the focus when it was born and from there adapted DAW capabilities. But you won't see it being used in recording studio's, such use is adapted more from homestudio community and after a while might feel slower if not crippling.

I made a reaper topic here, sort of turned into a guide if one wants to seriously learn a DAW; https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0&start=0 the educational video's they provide is more than good, 20-30 vid.s may seem a bit steep but if you manage to spare the time likely you'll have a level surpassing most of the internet community. Its and extremely capable DAW, a friend of mine who does game/film music (experimental style) also switched to it recently; https://eserkaraca.com

Reaper provides fx, they're fine but not virtual instruments. You can get really good freeware though, honestly for a synth. its almost needless to buy or use crack software these days; https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=60616

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam
Jan 14 2020, 06:36 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks for posting this thread! It's a bit complicated but looks approachable.

I'm currently using my unit as a sound card and I don't have much use for it besides that. Maybe that will change when I learn to use any DAW.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 14 2020, 08:31 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Seriously, try Reaper, you won't regret it:

Download: https://www.reaper.fm/download.php

Forum: https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Videos: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php

User guide: https://dlz.reaper.fm/userguide/ReaperUserGuide603d.pdf

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:52 PM