2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Technique Ok?, Neoclassical beginner
Mackietao
Dec 5 2007, 09:34 PM
GMC:er
I´ve recorded the neoclassical beginner lesson. I thought you could listen to it and tell me if I need improve something.. Specific that is, of course I need to improve all about guitarplaying but you know what i mean.

That awful dumpsound before the lighter parts of the solo is me switching pickups.. First lesson learned... Never change pickups in middle of a note? haha...

edit: and btw, I recomend you all to listen to your recorded solos without any backing tracks. Something that sounds cool with backing track might just suck big time while listening to it alone. Good for improving technique! You hear all the sloppyness :S

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mackietao: Dec 5 2007, 09:37 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  begginer_neo.mp3 ( 162.94K ) Number of downloads: 402

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fkalich
Dec 5 2007, 09:54 PM
QUOTE (Mackietao @ Dec 5 2007, 02:34 PM) *
I´ve recorded the neoclassical beginner lesson. I thought you could listen to it and tell me if I need improve something.. Specific that is, of course I need to improve all about guitarplaying but you know what i mean.

That awful dumpsound before the lighter parts of the solo is me switching pickups.. First lesson learned... Never change pickups in middle of a note? haha...

edit: and btw, I recomend you all to listen to your recorded solos without any backing tracks. Something that sounds cool with backing track might just suck big time while listening to it alone. Good for improving technique! You hear all the sloppyness :S

doing well. like your vibrato. and your timing is great. I agree on the backing track thing.

edit: whoops! Marcus's area. Sorry, did not see that, thought it was general. doubt he will mind on my comment. I will just say that this lesson tune of his is one of the most fantastic on this site. simple, but fantastic anyway. now he has to be nice. but i am sincere about that, i love that little lesson song.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by fkalich: Dec 5 2007, 09:58 PM

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Dec 6 2007, 03:31 PM
Instructor
Hey Mackietao,

Wow! Over all, your playing is very good. No timing or pitch problems that I can hear, and you pick all the notes very clean and it sounds controlled.

You have a extremely fast vibrato. I'm not saying that is bad in any way, but I think you should learn a slower and deeper vibrato as well. And mix/alternate between them. That will give a whole other atmosphere to your playing.

Also, to add more dynamic you could play the notes with different strength (For example the first triplet lick, just accent the notes on the high E-string)

I also like the attitude in your playing, It sounds as if your really "in the moment" and nothing is holding you back. - Don't ever change that!! smile.gif

Looking forward to hear you play the intermediate version smile.gif

-Marcus

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Mackietao
Dec 6 2007, 04:38 PM
Thx guys smile.gif

I was working some to get that vibrato tight. Might be why I did it on all the notes. Haven´t really thought about it. I think I can play deeper and slower. I´m trying that technique tomorrow! Will also try to work on the accent. I was very focused on not playing sloppy so the feeling went away some tongue.gif

Yeah now when I think about it it was very hard to get those vibratos while bending sound correct so that is where my attention was.
I will post intermediate when I feel I can handle it!

/Marcus

+Quote Post
fkalich
Dec 6 2007, 07:54 PM
QUOTE (Mackietao @ Dec 6 2007, 09:38 AM) *
Thx guys smile.gif

I was working some to get that vibrato tight. Might be why I did it on all the notes. Haven´t really thought about it. I think I can play deeper and slower. I´m trying that technique tomorrow! Will also try to work on the accent. I was very focused on not playing sloppy so the feeling went away some tongue.gif

Yeah now when I think about it it was very hard to get those vibratos while bending sound correct so that is where my attention was.
I will post intermediate when I feel I can handle it!

/Marcus

When you do your vibrato, do you wrap you thumb on the top of the neck? To me it sounds like you don't, which is the same as with me. Generally mine is slower and wider as Marcus describes, but it sounds to me like you don't wrap your thumb. I am curious, because that would make you the first guy I have seen not doing that, since I started 15 months ago.

+Quote Post
Mackietao
Dec 6 2007, 08:16 PM
I have my thumb around the fretboard. Kind of like on the E string. But not pressing it down. And also I use my pinky a lot.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Dec 6 2007, 08:22 PM
QUOTE (Mackietao @ Dec 6 2007, 01:16 PM) *
I have my thumb around the fretboard. Kind of like on the E string. But not pressing it down. And also I use my pinky a lot.

Well I was wrong. Good, I wanted to be the only one.

I also use my pinky a lot. Most guys here do, it is part of the GMC culture. How long did you say you have been playing? Just curious, can't tell, but your timing was quite good.

+Quote Post
Mackietao
Dec 6 2007, 08:37 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Dec 6 2007, 08:22 PM) *
Well I was wrong. Good, I wanted to be the only one.

I also use my pinky a lot. Most guys here do, it is part of the GMC culture. How long did you say you have been playing? Just curious, can't tell, but your timing was quite good.

Hard to say... I played for 2 years or so and got injured. After that I just got worse. I think I dropped 40 bpm the first week in 16th notes. Made attempts to start playing, took rehab and such. But it didn´t work out. After many attempts I gave up and only tried like once a year. I´ve been keeping my skills on a decent level playing acoustic guitar with mainly just chords a few short times per month last 2 years. Since I´ve noticed my right forearm is getting slowly better due to some strenght liftening and more active work I gave it shot but it didn´t work out but it was WAY better then before when I could play 10 minutes and have pain for 2 weeks. Or just play 1 minute if I played intensive. But anyway I´ve been using some grippers every now and then and this time it´s even more optimistic. Doing far more rehab then I´ve ever done and it feels like it´s getting better even when I´m now using the guitar. But I have to take it slowly.. :/ So how long have I played.. Euhmm.. 8 years or so... But it´s really not a good answer since I was way faster before my injury wink.gif btw, I hadn´t changed strings or tuned my Ibanez for 4 years I think.. Was still tuned, lol.. Overused? lol..

I feel more mature in my playing now though...

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Dec 8 2007, 03:04 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Dec 6 2007, 12:54 PM) *
When you do your vibrato, do you wrap you thumb on the top of the neck? To me it sounds like you don't, which is the same as with me. Generally mine is slower and wider as Marcus describes, but it sounds to me like you don't wrap your thumb. I am curious, because that would make you the first guy I have seen not doing that, since I started 15 months ago.

i dont wrap it either, my vibrato is stronger and better that way, that makes us 2 now tongue.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Mackietao
Jan 15 2008, 05:03 PM
Ok, so I invented and recorded a tapping song just now.
It´s sort of new technique for me tapping this way so it´s not that tight.
Also I was a bit tired in fingers after practising. Might sound a bit weird too because I lay down the rythm guitar after solo part. Wasn´t suposed to be with chords first and wasn´t supposed to be uploaded either but heck. YOu wanted to hear a sample of my Fender I bought. (some other thread). this is my second time playing it so I´m not used to it biggrin.gif But I´m starting to like it the more I play!!! I was forced to play it because I broke strings on other guitar.

I know it´s not tight but anything else techniquewise I´m doing wrong?, that you can hear smile.gif

Picture of guitar and mp3 of my little jam attached below. Petrucci preset used on POD X3 live.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Attached File(s)
Attached File  tappractise.mp3 ( 380.66K ) Number of downloads: 167

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Jan 16 2008, 08:57 AM
Instructor
Wow! That guitar both look and sound awesome!! biggrin.gif

As far as the tapping technique goes, it sounds like you do it correct. Maybe you're a bit tense though, and press down the strings a little too much (and that's why you get tired in the fingers). But your technique sounds good! smile.gif

As you mentioned, it's not so tight all the time. So you need to work on that with a metronome, or a steady backing track.

Oh, and I like the song. Good job! smile.gif

-Marcus

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
preownedguitar
Jan 16 2008, 09:44 AM
Is that purple? My screen is so dark sad.gif The tapping sounds good, but like marcus said, work with the metronome and all we be good.

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strings:
Any 9-42's for strings.
Amp:
Carvin Bel Air 212 (2x12 50 Watt all tube), Carvin 212E Cabinet (2x12 120w)
Gutars:
Ibanez RG2550e Prestige, Galaxy black
94' Fender Stratocaster Black w/Black pearl pickguard
Pedals:
Keeley Flexi 4x12 Ibanez Tube Screamer
Keeley DS-1 Ultra
Keeley Compressor
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah
Pod X3 Live
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
Mackietao
Jan 16 2008, 03:55 PM
it´s not really a song, but thx anyway smile.gif Just excercised that kind of tapping and tried to make it sound melodic and not just pure technique exercise.

It was my second or third time doing that kind of tapping (both the lose string and the Vai sounding one) so I was pretty tired. That´s a major reason for not being that tight and also I´m not used to the technique. I think you are right about me being to tense in my tapping. Probably because I really really focused ob being able to play it at that speed and tight. Because it sounded so much better then playing it slower. I also had to make a lot of retakes because I made it up as I recorded it and it was different every time.. haha.. I always screwed up somewhere not knowing really what to play and then finally I started to know what to play and had to settle with the recording. Because I knew if I continue it was just going to sound worse.. hehe..
Lot of lame excuses but I´m actually thinking of doing something real with it later as I progress more, like a whole song, probably instrumental.

I like that technique very much, pretty easy to play but sounds amazing. Kind of like a Vai style.

Tomorrow I´m starting taking guitarlessons btw! Not that you guys aren´t great but I thought that some one on one irl lessons would benefit me. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (preownedguitar @ Jan 16 2008, 09:44 AM) *
Is that purple? My screen is so dark sad.gif The tapping sounds good, but like marcus said, work with the metronome and all we be good.

not it´s black. Purple would have been cool though!! Thx! =)

+Quote Post
Mackietao
Jan 25 2008, 04:43 PM
Ok, so I´m having my own thread here, no need to start a new one. smile.gif

This attachment is just something I recorded today. Again, it´s a song, pretty much improvised with many retakes on the solo part. Gosh.. hard.. Anyways, I´m just experimenting with recording. Just had all gear working. I´m a noob recorder so I might need some hinters. The levels aren´t 100% correct but is it something else I should think about while recording?
It always sound so hard, begginer playing with my sound. I used fender strata on this recording. I need to get the details fixed before I do something serious worth spending some time on. And comments on playing are always appriciated. Kind of sloppy I know. I was pushing it!

This post has been edited by Mackietao: Jan 25 2008, 04:45 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  solopractice.mp3 ( 554.17K ) Number of downloads: 125

+Quote Post
Mackietao
Jan 31 2008, 08:22 PM
You missed my previous post Marcus? unsure.gif sad.gif

Anyways here comes another attachment.
Hope I´m not harrassing you with uploads, hehe..
But I love your tone and feeling so your opinion matters a lot. Feedback? rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Mackietao: Jan 31 2008, 08:23 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  viside_01.mp3 ( 1.59MB ) Number of downloads: 105

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Jan 31 2008, 09:07 PM
Instructor
I totally missed your previous post! I'm sorry! sad.gif

About the "solopractice.mp3".
The whole song is very nice and I think the individual instruments sound pretty darn good! I really like the sound of the snare drum!! Great job! smile.gif I won't go through all the details now, but there's a few easy things you could to to make the recording sound even better.

First, make atleast two overdubs of your rhythm guitar and pan them hard left and hard right.
Use a compressor on all the instruments, and also one on the master. There are no standard setting I'm afraid, so you have to listen your way to a good sound smile.gif Then you should put on a low-cut filter (equalizer) on every track.

The tone on the solo guitar has a lot of room in it. Try to make your recordings as dry as possible when you record it, and then add the effects post recording.

About the "viside_01.mp3".
Really cool phrasing here! Again, great job! smile.gif
I personally think the sound on the rhythm guitar and the solo guitar is too similar (maybe it's even the exact same tone?). I would have chosen a less distorted sound on the rhythm guitar, and again; make two recordings and pan them hard left and right.

Hope this helps! smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
Mackietao
Jan 31 2008, 10:41 PM
great advices smile.gif I´ll try it (all of the above) for sure next time I record something!

Yeah, it´s the same preset on visidé.. I will re-record that one with without the jazzpart in the end and a better, more thought of, solo. Along with a bass, some new parts and if I can I lay down some "vispar" on snare drum.
And I so wish I knew a girl with a similiar voice like Nina Persson.. She would do great on a riff like the one in the beginning. thx =)

This post has been edited by Mackietao: Jan 31 2008, 10:46 PM

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Jan 31 2008, 11:19 PM
Instructor
Cool! Looking forward to hear your next recording! smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
Mackietao
Feb 9 2008, 03:18 PM
QUOTE (lavendell @ Jan 31 2008, 11:19 PM) *
Cool! Looking forward to hear your next recording! smile.gif

Well, here it is...

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=11738

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Feb 10 2008, 10:33 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mackietao @ Feb 9 2008, 03:18 PM) *

cool. I just commented in your thread smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:51 AM