What's Your Favorite Chord Progression?, I hate being stuck with the same old stuff...
Kyle Logue
Feb 4 2008, 06:54 AM
Drum instructor
So I find that when I'm writing songs I tend to go back to the same chord progression of:

G - Em - C - D/F#

Argh! I've written quite a few songs now and I need some new ideas. It seems as though once you've used a certain chord progression, you have to continually find something new.

Thoughts?...Ideas?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Feb 4 2008, 06:59 AM
Get to da Chopper!
Thats a nice sounding one Kyle-

well theres a progression that i constantly use for improv- its from the Zakk Wylde BLS Dime tribute song "in this river"

Em-C-G-D

Still sounds as good as the first time i heard it (for me anyway tongue.gif)

Anytime i pick up guitar before a warm up i find myself strumming that without even thinking.

Nice thread idea btw- im looking forward to the more original ones (than mine) posted here soon wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
PolackHax0r
Feb 4 2008, 07:13 AM
GMC:er
I use the same chord progression as you!! G - Em - C - D/F# I love the way it sounds.

It would be nice to see some different ones! -- Nice thread

+Quote Post
Kyle Logue
Feb 4 2008, 07:19 AM
Drum instructor
QUOTE (PolackHax0r @ Feb 4 2008, 12:13 AM) *
I use the same chord progression as you!! G - Em - C - D/F# I love the way it sounds.

It would be nice to see some different ones! -- Nice thread

Ha ha. We could always capo it at the 2nd fret and make it:

A - F#m - D - E

hmmm!

(i accidentally typed "!" and then began to wonder if you could actually say "hmmm" with a "!"......I'm so ADD)

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Feb 4 2008, 07:19 AM
Hmm... I would have to go with... Em7add11. Over and over. Might not sound too fancy, but it just comes so naturally to me! laugh.gif

But really, I often find myself strumming/picking out Em C G D, or something similar.

This post has been edited by Zephyr: Feb 5 2008, 06:45 AM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 4 2008, 12:28 PM
Instructor
My favorite progression is I V VI, don't know why, always has been.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 4 2008, 01:28 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
C - Am - F - G for me smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
SamJ
Feb 4 2008, 01:38 PM
At the moment mine is Dm - Bb - F - C.

It changes a lot though.

+Quote Post
Melvyn
Feb 4 2008, 03:22 PM
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Feb 4 2008, 05:59 AM) *
Thats a nice sounding one Kyle-

well theres a progression that i constantly use for improv- its from the Zakk Wylde BLS Dime tribute song "in this river"

Em-C-G-D

Still sounds as good as the first time i heard it (for me anyway tongue.gif)

Anytime i pick up guitar before a warm up i find myself strumming that without even thinking.

Nice thread idea btw- im looking forward to the more original ones (than mine) posted here soon wink.gif

I think this, along with Em, C, D were the 2 fundamental progressions to heavy metal music in the world, and are very common xD

--------------------

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Feb 5 2008, 10:37 PM
Interesting thread:
Em > G5 > A > Bm b

We should compile a list...

This post has been edited by fatb0t: Feb 5 2008, 10:37 PM

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Feb 5 2008, 10:45 PM
Learning Rock Star
C E Am F smile.gif Sounds very hippi-ish to me haha, cool sound laugh.gif

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Feb 6 2008, 12:01 AM
Instructor
i think firstable we have to think about the scales when we wants to write the songs so we have many choices of chords to compose our songs if we start with scales ..have a nice day

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 6 2008, 01:33 AM
Singing Instructor
interesting topic...as you Kyle..I wrte songs as well...I wrote about.....well 80 to 100 songs..including for my band and my self for the last 5 years...back to subject....I had a period of "chord progresion" search..but I find out that it dosent matter to me any more...becouse the more I think of it the more I get confused...now I imagine the whole song in my head(instrument..atmosfere..lyrics) and do not mind a bout progresion...just using the root chords that fit my voice..and besides every scale has there own colour...for example C minor is a lot darker then the A minor...so I u can use the same progreson(the line that your chourds are going)just modulate to another key...at list that works for me....smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:09 PM