Solution For Latency Problems
Mertay
May 27 2015, 12:28 AM
GMC:er
My harddisk died recently as the computer crashed a few times (related to google chrome but no idea why...) so I'm re-installing stuff.

While at it, I checked the web for some links to improve audio performance. This is a popular one; http://www.blackviper.com/service-configur...configurations/

But its sort of a try-fail thing as even the safe adjustment affected my internet connection. Since its more about ram and I don't use vsti much I decided to look at other links and found this;

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/suppo...dio-processing/

Specially the latencymon section is worth read and trying together with the rest of the tips.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: May 27 2015, 12:29 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Todd Simpson
May 27 2015, 05:35 AM
Always a good idea to read up on settings and latency! smile.gif

Nothing is worse than setting up your rig, going through all the effort and them BAM. Terrible noise/lag/latency. We've been helping a fellow gmcer through this very thing in another thread. IT's a real bummer sad.gif IT's really harder on PC folks it seems as mac folks don't have to deal with ASIO drivers and such especially if running apple software like logic. Since there are only a handful of apple hardware configurations at one time, all the apple software works with them really well. Of course, you have to pay nearly double for the apple option so it's not always feasible!

QUOTE (Mertay @ May 26 2015, 07:28 PM) *
My harddisk died recently as the computer crashed a few times (related to google chrome but no idea why...) so I'm re-installing stuff.
Specially the latencymon section is worth read and trying together with the rest of the tips.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Anese
May 27 2015, 11:28 AM
Learning Roadie
Haha biggrin.gif I saw this post and remembered the agony and grief I got a while back trying to deal with Latency .. I didnt even know what that word means back then.

when I first got my USB M-audio interface i thought this was going to be plug and play, and then Bam!! I heard that horrible sound.
I thought the interface was broken ... then I after some searching i started to read about the latency issue .. i did several tweaks to my PC settings and nothing fixed the problem I got dispread and threw the device in my drawer for few months .. until I started reading about it again .. and there ..out of the glue I found the magic recipe in some humble audiophile forum that got the eargasm back into my ears ... this guy simply suggested to connect your USB Powered interface to a USB port powered by an external power adapter... without any need to change the power settings or uninstall /disable devices on your PC.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 27 2015, 11:36 PM
Yup smile.gif Just a tip, NEVER connect your interface to USB HUB OF ANY KIND FOR ANY REASON smile.gif if you can at all avoid it. Give it it's own USB port. It just saves soooo much grief.

You can always use a powered hub, but I'd still suggest plugging it directly in. The USB bus is shared bandwidth/power. So everything else on the bus is drawing CPU resources and power. That's why I honestly prefer firewire or thunderbolt just to give the interface it's own bus to work with. Alas, my 11 RACK is USB so I'm plugging it directly in. smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Anese @ May 27 2015, 06:28 AM) *
Haha biggrin.gif I saw this post and remembered the agony and grief I got a while back trying to deal with Latency .. I didnt even know what that word means back then.

when I first got my USB M-audio interface i thought this was going to be plug and play, and then Bam!! I heard that horrible sound.
I thought the interface was broken ... then I after some searching i started to read about the latency issue .. i did several tweaks to my PC settings and nothing fixed the problem I got dispread and threw the device in my drawer for few months .. until I started reading about it again .. and there ..out of the glue I found the magic recipe in some humble audiophile forum that got the eargasm back into my ears ... this guy simply suggested to connect your USB Powered interface to a USB port powered by an external power adapter... without any need to change the power settings or uninstall /disable devices on your PC.

+Quote Post
fzalfa
May 28 2015, 12:06 PM
Learning Roadie
personaly i do not understand why use USB for audio.

i prefer firewire....

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 28 2015, 12:31 PM
QUOTE (fzalfa @ May 28 2015, 11:06 AM) *

i prefer firewire....

Laurent

Its a PC and budget thing, PC's/windows laptop's I know of doesn't come with defoult firewire. I used to use firewire with PC but the extra pci card needed can be problematic.

Aside that soundcards with USB are very affordable and not only for beginners, 8+ channels can be recorded with USB on a half decent system so its also popular in small studios. Though USB, there are some nice soundcards out there with good preamps and converters. Also brands like RME make very good USB soundcards, their latency is much lower compared to the affordable stuff.

Also firewire today is replaced by thunderbolt, so today if I were to buy a soundcard (since thunderbolt interfaces are too expensive) it can be logical to invest in USB.

From the motherboards soundcard, today I can get 10ms latency (still working on to lower it 1-2 ms more on my free time) and use amp sims, even a reverb plug-in. Most won't, though I feel it but this can go a bit lower with a decent soundcard, 7-8ms latency is pretty good for tracking.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
May 28 2015, 12:39 PM
Learning Roadie
i own an USB soundcard.... a crap, i prefere my FA66 fw, all my laptop have ieee1394..... DELL and IBM

maybe i have a bad opinion about audio over USB...

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 29 2015, 08:16 AM
Well, to put it simply. Not everyone has firewire smile.gif Most PCs do not come with it. Every machine comes with USB. I've personally always favored firewire, alas, my ELEVEN RACK us USB. Such is life smile.gif

I've always had better luck with firewire interfaces, but as MERTAY mentioned, usb is ubiquitous and usb interfaces are more affordable in general. So most folks starting out, have a laptop or desktop, that almost always has USB, usb sound cards are cheaper, thus, ........

But for folks using USB, there are ways to make it work better smile.gif
1.)Give your soundcard / interfaces it's own port.
2.)Use USB 2.0 (avoid usb 1.1 interfaces if possible)
3.)Don't overburden your usb bus (e.g. don't plug 20 things in while you are trying to do music stuff)

Since USB does require your computer to dedicate CPU (the main processor chip) in order to work, an older laptop/desktop can somtimes struggle to keep up, especially when latency/samples are lowered to certain levels.

These days you have to be a bit of a computer support person just in order to record music. But once you get a handle on the tech bits, the recording bits get lots easier smile.gif

QUOTE (fzalfa @ May 28 2015, 07:06 AM) *

i prefer firewire....

Laurent

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 29 2015, 08:22 AM

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 29 2015, 11:36 AM
Interesting thing about Reaper; On preferences-devices there is a section to adjust [i]Audio Thread Priority[/i.

In windows (task manager) programs can be set to have different prieoritys, here you can increase the priority of a DAW but nothing inside it.

Reaper seems to be able to adjust ASIO (in my case asio4all) too from the section I mentioned, and also Reaper itself can be adjusted from task manager.

But result I got can't be real, its total of only 3ms. There is an increase in CPU and note I'm using the motherboards soundcard but still this is too good to be true.

If anyone has a USB interface, feel free to try this and please share results...

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 12:50 AM