4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Competition Entries
Todd Simpson
Jun 14 2020, 05:32 AM
GMC:er
That first one is very creative indeed! I like the single handed licks, one with the left then another with the right. Both show solid control over power using a single hand. I can see little bits of bootcamp working in to your solo playing which is very gratifying. Congrats on pulling this solo together and keeping it interesting. Thats often the hardest part on solos longer than a few bars, just keeping the audience from getting bored is a huge achievement.

I like the second one as well. it's perhaps a bit more melodic in it's construction which is very cool. It seems like the first one is a bit more technically accomplished, but there is more to soloing than technique to be sure. I like em both!

Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Jun 29 2020, 05:06 PM
Learning Roadie

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 6 2020, 03:29 AM
NICE! I Enjoyed it quite a bit. I think I see some of the stuff we have worked working it's way in to your playing which is always great to see smile.gif This one is very melodic as well with some spiff shreddy bits to top it off. Where are you finding all these contests btw? I used to see them all the time, but recently they seem to have abated.

Todd

QUOTE (onetabmat @ Jun 29 2020, 12:06 PM) *

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Jul 28 2020, 11:29 AM
Learning Tone Master
Do you know of any guitar competition nowadays?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 29 2020, 05:30 AM
Sure! I got this one from ONETABMAT

https://www.facebook.com/groups/GuitarContests/

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Jul 28 2020, 06:29 AM) *
Do you know of any guitar competition nowadays?

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 29 2020, 05:31 AM

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Jul 29 2020, 11:22 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 29 2020, 04:30 AM) *
Sure! I got this one from ONETABMAT

https://www.facebook.com/groups/GuitarContests/

Thank you so much Todd!

I've been looking for something to challenge myself smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 30 2020, 03:36 AM
Sure thing! Thank MATT he's the one that shared it with me smile.gif Jump in to the contests! Win or lost it's a great way to challenge yourself!!!!

I mean, a great way other than my BOOTCAMP!!! smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Jul 29 2020, 06:22 AM) *
Thank you so much Todd!

I've been looking for something to challenge myself smile.gif

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Jul 31 2020, 05:45 PM
Learning Tone Master
Here is a new contest that I stabled upon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv8ILIBIduY

The backing track is really nice and inspiring!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 1 2020, 03:32 PM
Thanks for sharing!!!

Todd

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Jul 31 2020, 12:45 PM) *
Here is a new contest that I stabled upon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv8ILIBIduY

The backing track is really nice and inspiring!

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Aug 4 2020, 05:57 PM
Learning Tone Master
Enter to win a Cort KX500 Etched guitar, brought to you by Fishman: https://woobox.com/ek4rgp/mqytpr #giveaway #cort #fishman #contest #win #sweepstakes

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Aug 17 2020, 03:22 PM
Learning Tone Master
This my entry to the previous contest I posted:

https://youtu.be/vLQPTHsFVXU

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 17 2020, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the update and for sharing your take!! Did you not want to embed it? That take is really quite good. I watched it a few times. It's very musical and its well beyond what I thought you'd be able to pull off. I didn't realize you were this advanced of a player. Impressive!!

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Aug 17 2020, 10:22 AM) *
This my entry to the previous contest I posted:

https://youtu.be/vLQPTHsFVXU

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 17 2020, 11:23 PM

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Aug 18 2020, 01:13 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 17 2020, 10:21 PM) *
Thanks for the update and for sharing your take!! Did you not want to embed it? That take is really quite good. I watched it a few times. It's very musical and its well beyond what I thought you'd be able to pull off. I didn't realize you were this advanced of a player. Impressive!!

Thank you so much man, it really means a lot coming from a more experienced player like you!

I barely made the deadline so I had no time to fix the mistakes that lie here and there tongue.gif

But I do hope the judges will look beyond my errors hehe

This post has been edited by Steve Gilfield: Aug 18 2020, 01:14 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 19 2020, 12:08 AM
Did you double the solo? It almost sounds like two takes layered on top one another? either way it sounds quite spiff and your bends are to pitch and it's well phrased. Is that guitar scallopped btw?

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Aug 18 2020, 08:13 AM) *
Thank you so much man, it really means a lot coming from a more experienced player like you!

I barely made the deadline so I had no time to fix the mistakes that lie here and there tongue.gif

But I do hope the judges will look beyond my errors hehe

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Aug 19 2020, 09:19 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 18 2020, 11:08 PM) *
Did you double the solo? It almost sounds like two takes layered on top one another? either way it sounds quite spiff and your bends are to pitch and it's well phrased. Is that guitar scallopped btw?

Your ear is correct; the solo is double tracked(L/R), that's why it sounds as if there is chorus effect.

Your eyes are also correct! The neck is semi scalloped (not so deeply scalloped like Malmsteen's).

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 19 2020, 08:21 PM
Doubling a solo is not something everyone can do. It's a great way to practice being able to play the same thing twice. It requires mentally mapping out the solo a bit and memorizing it and then playing right on top of the previous take. I dig doubled solos. They can sound much bigger and deeper.

I thought I saw a bit of a scallop smile.gif The tone you are getting is great and well played!

Todd

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Aug 19 2020, 04:19 AM) *
Your ear is correct; the solo is double tracked(L/R), that's why it sounds as if there is chorus effect.

Your eyes are also correct! The neck is semi scalloped (not so deeply scalloped like Malmsteen's).

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Aug 20 2020, 11:22 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 19 2020, 07:21 PM) *
Doubling a solo is not something everyone can do. It's a great way to practice being able to play the same thing twice. It requires mentally mapping out the solo a bit and memorizing it and then playing right on top of the previous take. I dig doubled solos. They can sound much bigger and deeper.

I thought I saw a bit of a scallop smile.gif The tone you are getting is great and well played!

Todd

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Randy Roads used to double track his solos.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 20 2020, 07:47 PM
Indeed he did! Randy was an amazing player. There have been many great players who have doubled solos. It does take a bit of prep as one has to play the same thing twice with the same timing, etc. I've doubled solos in the past and I really dig how it sounds. The subtle variations in both versions are what gives it depth. Sort of like doubling a vocal part. It takes a pretty high degree of skill to pull off. Impressive work!

Hope you dont mind I thought I'd embed it to share with folks. You even doubled the dive bombs! Nice.

On one solo with Ben Higgins I started doubling and about half way through one part, I broke away from the original as I had a better idea for a part. Then I listened back and it oddly worked as it was. It sounded like one solo and then the parts diverge and sort of harmonize and split left right then come back together when I start back on the original part. I'm doubling during the open string lick then break off in between and then come back. Almost sounds like a delay effect.

Todd

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Aug 20 2020, 06:22 AM) *
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Randy Roads used to double track his solos.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 20 2020, 07:53 PM

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Aug 20 2020, 09:47 PM
Learning Tone Master
Oh definitely man, doubling solos sounds different (in a nice way) but they are very strict; one small divergence/mistake and it will definitely be heard hehe

For sure you can share the video, no problem biggrin.gif

I can really feel the Gilbert vibe on your video!!

And on one of your videos I think I spotted a blue PGM with pink f-holes?

That guitar was my dream guitar when I was a teenager; I am such a Gilbert fan boy, and I really love his models with the bright neon colours of the 80s era biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 20 2020, 06:47 PM) *
Indeed he did! Randy was an amazing player. There have been many great players who have doubled solos. It does take a bit of prep as one has to play the same thing twice with the same timing, etc. I've doubled solos in the past and I really dig how it sounds. The subtle variations in both versions are what gives it depth. Sort of like doubling a vocal part. It takes a pretty high degree of skill to pull off. Impressive work!

Hope you dont mind I thought I'd embed it to share with folks. You even doubled the dive bombs! Nice.

On one solo with Ben Higgins I started doubling and about half way through one part, I broke away from the original as I had a better idea for a part. Then I listened back and it oddly worked as it was. It sounded like one solo and then the parts diverge and sort of harmonize and split left right then come back together when I start back on the original part. I'm doubling during the open string lick then break off in between and then come back. Almost sounds like a delay effect.

Todd

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 21 2020, 12:28 AM
Good eye!!! Yup that's a pgm complete with pink F holes smile.gif It was a very fun guitar. Like many in my collection, somebody offered way to much money for it and I had to accept. i do miss here though. I'm always on the lookout for one to replace her. Played great! Neck was a bit thicker than I expected but nothing too crazy. Here is a one handed guitar solo I did on that axe. Gotta say it almost played itself. Very light string tension and great sustain. Responded to even the lightest touch. The only other guitar that I've played along that line is my ancient rg560.

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Aug 20 2020, 04:47 PM) *
Oh definitely man, doubling solos sounds different (in a nice way) but they are very strict; one small divergence/mistake and it will definitely be heard hehe

For sure you can share the video, no problem biggrin.gif

I can really feel the Gilbert vibe on your video!!

And on one of your videos I think I spotted a blue PGM with pink f-holes?

That guitar was my dream guitar when I was a teenager; I am such a Gilbert fan boy, and I really love his models with the bright neon colours of the 80s era biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:00 AM