Paul Gilbert Talks About "musical Intent"
Todd Simpson
Sep 16 2020, 08:19 PM
GMC:er
This vid goes in to Paul Gilbert's (Racer X/Mr. Big) concept "Musical Intention" and it made me step back and think. Here is a legendary shredder talking about singing one's lead lines in order to make them a bit more musical and the difference between writing music and running scales.

He's had a lifetime of experience and has made a big leap from being the "Shred Guy" to focusing more on melody/harmony and putting meaning and emotion behind every note you select and every pause you make. He still has to juggle the expectations of Racer X fans against his own desire to share his new music with a crowd. He knows they've come to see "Scarified", but he also knows he has to sell them on his new material in real time. It's a big ask, but he pulls it off.

QUESTION: Old Stuff or New Stuff? Are you more impressed with his recent work/blues/songwriting, or his older work that focused more on sheer technique?

OLDER STUFF (Racer X and being a crazy shredder)

NEWER STUFF (Blues/Ballads/Songwriting)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 16 2020, 08:21 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Sep 17 2020, 08:42 AM
Learning Tone Master
Both.
Both eras of Gilbert are great smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 17 2020, 02:19 PM
Instructor
Nice! Thanks for sharing Todd. I went to a live clinic 2 years ago and it was pure fan. I love his evolution as guitarist and musician.

This interview is also very inspiring:

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 17 2020, 04:12 PM
I know I'm gonna sound like a broken record but the thing that stuck out in that vid, and what always is apparent with PG - is that the dude listens to and likes a wide variety of music. In that video he mentions and plays examples by Edvard Greig, Miles Davis, the Police and Todd Rundgren. He doesn't just 'like' those bands or musicians, he learns some of their stuff and incorporates it into "his" music.
Intent is necessary, obviously. But more important is really to not be boring and one dimensional.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Sep 17 2020, 04:13 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 17 2020, 04:38 PM
Very well said. It's crucial that one embrace a variety of source for inspiration and incorporate them in to one's playing. The more and the more varied the music one listens to and learns from, the better imho. Paul is a great example of someone who gets painted as a "Shredder", but really he's a very well rounded player. That's what I love most about it. He embraces so many styles that his lead work is often fresh and unexpected. That's about the best compliment I can pay a player.

QUESTION: INFLUENCES? (What players/bands/composers have influenced your guitar playing in unexpected ways?

I've pulled a lot of bits from vintage bands like THE CURE, THE SMITHS etc. Very strong sense of melody in these bands. They were sort of EMO before EMO was a thing. The band looks a bit silly, but they always have. The keyboard player is quite good and a good example of someone playing another instrument that is worth borrowng ideas from smile.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Sep 17 2020, 11:12 AM) *
I know I'm gonna sound like a broken record but the thing that stuck out in that vid, and what always is apparent with PG - is that the dude listens to and likes a wide variety of music. In that video he mentions and plays examples by Edvard Greig, Miles Davis, the Police and Todd Rundgren. He doesn't just 'like' those bands or musicians, he learns some of their stuff and incorporates it into "his" music.
Intent is necessary, obviously. But more important is really to not be boring and one dimensional.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 17 2020, 04:44 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:34 AM