2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Practicing Exercises, Getting Feedback on my guitar playing
Victor Simion
Oct 22 2020, 07:19 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

I am practicing a lot of exercises.
I have a schedule in order to reach my goals on guitar.

I think that one of the mistakes that I made was just playing for years, without listening to how I play.
Now I started to record myself and listen to how my guitar sounds.

Then the next step I think is to get some feedback.

I want to progress as much as possible and I decided to post videos.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 22 2020, 08:30 PM
Instructor
Hi Victor!! Great thread!

Recording our practice and listening to it is the best way to evolve as guitarists. Receiving feedback from more advanced players can help us to improve much faster. That's why I can't agree more with your post and thinking. smile.gif

Some comments based on this video:

- I recommend you trying to relax more your left hand when playing legato, and what's even more important, get notice of the amount of strength that you are using to press frets. We usually use much more strength than we need, and the result is that our hands aren't relaxed. As a results of this we can't play fluentier and faster.

- I notice that your hands lose some sync when playing at 120. This is normal, you are working on it, but be sure to practice a bit slower and increase speed focusing on hands sync.

- When playing the picking version, try to keep your left hand fingers closer to the fretboard. Notice how your pinky separates too much when it's not playing. The whole hand movements should be smaller.

That's all by now, I hope that it helps! Keep on practicing and sharing your progress here!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 23 2020, 04:38 AM
GMC:er
This is somewhat similar to a few of the upcoming drills in bootcamp so you will be well prepped! No need to repeat what gabe said, I have to agree though about the importance of recording yourself. Nothing is more important than listening to your own playing. It's crucial to hear yourself back while your not actually playing. So I always encourage people to record themselves on youtube and keep a playlist of the videos so they can see progress over time. Too often, people will record themselves and then not actually watch it. Maybe even share it, without watching it. This is a normal instinct, as we often think our performance was more than ok even before we hear it back. As any studio engineer will tell you, it's not a take until you hear it on playback. Its often difficult to hear whats going on during playing. So picking it apart after the fact can be a great help.

I do notice your strikes seem a bit stronger than maybe they need to be on this drill. Ideally, your hand should find the minimum needed force for each strike/lick. If it's a looping lick, find the minimum force need as this will increase stamina and reduce hand fatigue.

Your timing has come a long way which is great! You do drift a bit outside the beat. This can be fixed by simple repetition and having enough clicks on the metronome to tie each strike to a click. That way on playback, if you are drifting, you will hear when a strike doesn't match a click.

keep it up!!

Todd

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Oct 26 2020, 08:30 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 22 2020, 07:30 PM) *
Hi Victor!! Great thread!

Recording our practice and listening to it is the best way to evolve as guitarists. Receiving feedback from more advanced players can help us to improve much faster. That's why I can't agree more with your post and thinking. smile.gif

Some comments based on this video:

- I recommend you trying to relax more your left hand when playing legato, and what's even more important, get notice of the amount of strength that you are using to press frets. We usually use much more strength than we need, and the result is that our hands aren't relaxed. As a results of this we can't play fluentier and faster.

- I notice that your hands lose some sync when playing at 120. This is normal, you are working on it, but be sure to practice a bit slower and increase speed focusing on hands sync.

- When playing the picking version, try to keep your left hand fingers closer to the fretboard. Notice how your pinky separates too much when it's not playing. The whole hand movements should be smaller.

That's all by now, I hope that it helps! Keep on practicing and sharing your progress here!

I am new to playing legato like this, like in a continuous motion. I played hammer-ons and pull-offs, but it's just a bit compared to this.
I started to notice that I don't need to press the frets to hard in order to make the sound come out, so it's getting easier.

Here is my next exercise:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 26 2020, 08:42 PM
That's a full minor scale inversion just like we do in Bootcamp! Well played smile.gif Glad you have found the lighter touch to be effective. I think you might lighten up on your pick hand just a bit. If your pick doesn't have a very sharp point, I'd say grab a pocket knife and sharpen it to a fine point. This will dull after time and after a few sharpenings youll need a new pick. I've found this technique helps train the hand not to dig in too far with the pick when it's not needed.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 26 2020, 10:58 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Oct 22 2020, 08:19 PM) *
I think that one of the mistakes that I made was just playing for years, without listening to how I play.
Now I started to record myself and listen to how my guitar sounds.

This!!!

This is how you do it - this is the number one key to success. Congrats on the insight!

Playing wise I agree in the first video that hand tension is your obvious enemy here. I think if you slowed down a little and worked on being totally relaxed - the other timing and sync issues would solve themselves.

The second video did not have obvious hand straining issues. In this one - I would perhaps think about more consistent right hand movement to allow faster tempos. But on the flip side it seemed you went for economy picking which is something I don't really do and can/shouldn't comment on.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Oct 26 2020, 11:18 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 26 2020, 09:58 PM) *
This!!!

This is how you do it - this is the number one key to success. Congrats on the insight!

Playing wise I agree in the first video that hand tension is your obvious enemy here. I think if you slowed down a little and worked on being totally relaxed - the other timing and sync issues would solve themselves.

The second video did not have obvious hand straining issues. In this one - I would perhaps think about more consistent right hand movement to allow faster tempos. But on the flip side it seemed you went for economy picking which is something I don't really do and can/shouldn't comment on.

As far as I know I did only using strict alternate picking.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 27 2020, 12:32 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Oct 26 2020, 04:30 PM) *
I am new to playing legato like this, like in a continuous motion. I played hammer-ons and pull-offs, but it's just a bit compared to this.
I started to notice that I don't need to press the frets to hard in order to make the sound come out, so it's getting easier.

Here is my next exercise:

Great job here! I can notice that you left hand is more relaxed compared to the previous video. Maybe this is because you are not used to legato, but that soft pressure discoverment is essential. We need to always try to economize strength and movement in order to have a efficient technique.

Your hands are perfectly in sync and your timing is tight here, well done!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 27 2020, 12:35 AM
it may be an optical illusion but it looks like you are leading from high to low string traversing with an upstroke. This is "econ" any time you do two up or down strokes in a row. Play it slow and examine your picking during string traverse. It might be just the way it looks on video smile.gif

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Oct 26 2020, 06:18 PM) *
As far as I know I did only using strict alternate picking.

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Oct 27 2020, 07:31 PM
Learning Roadie
My last video called "Alternate Picking - 80 BPM" was taken from the first half of this lesson https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...picking-thirds/

I think there is another issue in my video like video and audio not synched
The audio starts with one musical note earlier, if you look on YouTube at 25% speed you can see that.
So my finger plays the first note the audio plays the second note and so on.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 28 2020, 02:25 AM
You can always re align the audio and video in your video editor. Just break the audio/vid apart and slide the audio a bit till it looks right. Also, snap your fingers on camera at the start of a video. In your editor you will see the snap and you can see the audio wave form so you can line them up to get good synch.

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Oct 27 2020, 02:31 PM) *
My last video called "Alternate Picking - 80 BPM" was taken from the first half of this lesson https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...picking-thirds/

I think there is another issue in my video like video and audio not synched
The audio starts with one musical note earlier, if you look on YouTube at 25% speed you can see that.
So my finger plays the first note the audio plays the second note and so on.

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Nov 4 2020, 07:03 PM
Learning Roadie
Sweep Picking - Practice Exercise

Sweep Picking - Practice Exercise (High Quality Audio)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 4 2020, 08:28 PM
Instructor
Good job Victor!! This technique is definitely on the right track!

One small tip:

- Try to make your right hand movement more like a single sweep in each direction. Try to do it the smoother possible. Avoid "separating" strings. Does it make sense?

Keep on the hard work!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Nov 4 2020, 08:36 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 4 2020, 07:28 PM) *
Good job Victor!! This technique is definitely on the right track!

One small tip:

- Try to make your right hand movement more like a single sweep in each direction. Try to do it the smoother possible. Avoid "separating" strings. Does it make sense?

Keep on the hard work!

Yes, it makes sense, but I am doing a continuous motion, I am not separating strings.
If necessary I will do another video to show my right hand closer, playing slow, then fast, focusing on the movement without the metronome.

This post has been edited by Victor Simion: Nov 4 2020, 08:38 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 4 2020, 09:13 PM
Im not sure but gabe may be talking about the strike on the high E. That last note can be hammered on instead of picked and saves you a pick strike. Also, it allows the hand do sweep up and down with out using the extra strike which interupts the up down flow.

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Nov 4 2020, 03:36 PM) *
Yes, it makes sense, but I am doing a continuous motion, I am not separating strings.
If necessary I will do another video to show my right hand closer, playing slow, then fast, focusing on the movement without the metronome.

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Nov 10 2020, 06:34 PM
Learning Roadie
Practicing Alternate Picking by Muris.

I am practicing the lesson at 80% speed.

This is the first time I am recording from my Phone it seems easier for me than using my old camera.
By filming landscape it's easier for me to show more of the guitar in the video.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 10 2020, 06:47 PM
GMC Founder
Nice!

It's looking pretty good. A couple of pointers:

* You fluctuate up and down in tempo. Since you are currently doing the 'ground work' - practicing at a slower tempo and making sure you get the details down, why not use your foot to tap the pulse? If you can get this going it will be an insanely useful tool in your practicing and playing

* There are a few missed notes here and there. I am going to assume you uploaded this video because you felt it was a decent take. This tells me there probably are some missed notes here and there when you are practicing as well (without recording).

If so, it means you are practicing at tempo that is too fast for you. If you cannot avoid the missed notes when practicing, there is no way you will refrain from doing them when gigging or recording. Practicing is your chance to play perfectly - so never practice with recurring mistakes. Instead - adjust the tempo/exercise so that you can repeat it over and over without any mistakes. Let me know if it makes sense!

Keep up the hard work 👊

--------------------

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Nov 10 2020, 07:10 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2020, 05:47 PM) *
Nice!

It's looking pretty good. A couple of pointers:

* You fluctuate up and down in tempo. Since you are currently doing the 'ground work' - practicing at a slower tempo and making sure you get the details down, why not use your foot to tap the pulse? If you can get this going it will be an insanely useful tool in your practicing and playing

* There are a few missed notes here and there. I am going to assume you uploaded this video because you felt it was a decent take. This tells me there probably are some missed notes here and there when you are practicing as well (without recording).

If so, it means you are practicing at tempo that is too fast for you. If you cannot avoid the missed notes when practicing, there is no way you will refrain from doing them when gigging or recording. Practicing is your chance to play perfectly - so never practice with recurring mistakes. Instead - adjust the tempo/exercise so that you can repeat it over and over without any mistakes. Let me know if it makes sense!

Keep up the hard work 👊

Thank you for your answer.
Where did you hear the missing notes? (or where didn't you hear the notes)
The only place I can spot is at second 47, where it sounds like a muted note.

I think that this lesson is pretty long for me and changes to miss something are getting bigger.
I started practicing a few measures every week, the another few measures next week and so on.
And now I am starting to put all together.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 10 2020, 08:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Nov 4 2020, 04:36 PM) *

Yes! I know that you are not separating consciously but I feel that the movement can be even smoother. Just put some focus to make it even more like a sweep and you'll get the effect that I mean.

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Nov 10 2020, 03:10 PM) *
Thank you for your answer.
Where did you hear the missing notes? (or where didn't you hear the notes)
The only place I can spot is at second 47, where it sounds like a muted note.

I think that this lesson is pretty long for me and changes to miss something are getting bigger.
I started practicing a few measures every week, the another few measures next week and so on.
And now I am starting to put all together.

In addition to what Kris said, I think that the "missed" or not completely clear notes are happening because of hand sync issues. It seems that your right hand is going a bit faster in some parts and that why I notice missed or not completely consistent notes, for example between 00:46 and 00:51 and around 00:57.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Nov 11 2020, 06:14 PM
Learning Roadie
Yes, I am practicing and I want to improve my hand sync and my timing.

I record and then listen to my playing:

I compare my playing to the click by looking in reaper to see if I am playing 100% on time, and I see that in some parts I am playing in front of the beat.
This is the reaper screenshot from this recording

What do you think of my playing?

This post has been edited by Victor Simion: Nov 11 2020, 06:15 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Practice_Alternate_Picking_by_Muris.mp3 ( 919.18K ) Number of downloads: 159

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:36 PM