How Much You Can Get Out Of Gmc Lessons?
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 18 2014, 08:01 AM
Instructor
I started this thread because I realized how much one can actually get out of learning a GMC lesson smile.gif Gabriel has inspired this thread with some great ideas he has written down in another thread which you can read here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=689249

Basically, when we tackle a GMC lesson we only see it as a means to learn a fixed thing, but usually, as in life, there's more to things than meets the eye - what do I want to say with this?

Well, each lesson, aside from it's initial purpose can offer you the freedom of using a concept that you understood in it in a variety of ways - how?

Well, to start off:

- learn the theoretical aspects behind the lesson - some will say 'Bah, it's too easy! Bah, I already know that! Bah, I don't need it!' Well then, why are you asking around for learning theory? smile.gif Because most people are impatient and they think that information will click instantaneously and they will learn theory over night. Theory is learned IN TIME and BY APPLYING IT in as many contexts as possible. The results yielded will be astonishing, but you need PATIENCE and you need to EXPLORE.
- understand the scales used - train your ears not only your hands smile.gif If you don't understand how to listen to a scale and it's intervals or the characteristic scale degrees of a mode and it's relationship with a chord progression, it's useless to learn patterns - those alone will get you nowhere.
- understand the chord progression in the provided backing track
- learn the phrases in the lesson
- after you can replicate the lesson, start to modify it in accord to YOUR OWN VISION - how?

- cut out some notes
- accentuate other notes
- invert some runs
- add more breaks
- dabble with note length
- bend instead of sliding

The possibilities are endless and these are just some starters smile.gif Unconsciously or not, this is what YOU HAVE ALREADY BEEN DOING in collabs wink.gif

How do you see this and what examples of nice phrases YOU HAVE CREATED by this method could you share with us?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
Mith
Jun 18 2014, 11:58 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Learning theory has been the best thing I ever done. And I've only just scratch the surface.

Everyone that avoids theory is like "Don't learn it, it will make you sounds like everyone else and you need to think outside the box"

First off if you don't even know whats inside the box how are you going to play "outside it"

And second if all your licks are from something else your learnt then you are going to sound like everyone else anyway

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
korblitz
Jun 18 2014, 02:07 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I like this

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 19 2014, 08:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Jun 18 2014, 10:58 AM) *
Learning theory has been the best thing I ever done. And I've only just scratch the surface.

Everyone that avoids theory is like "Don't learn it, it will make you sounds like everyone else and you need to think outside the box"

First off if you don't even know whats inside the box how are you going to play "outside it"

And second if all your licks are from something else your learnt then you are going to sound like everyone else anyway

To me, music is like any other foreign language smile.gif As long as you understand grammar and vocabulary (i.e. musical theory) you can speak that language well and you will be FAR more able to express yourself because you know why and what you are saying.

Mith, do you have a lick you came up with, but you really learned how to properly use it because of theory? smile.gif

QUOTE (korblitz @ Jun 18 2014, 01:07 PM) *
I like this

Hey man! How are you? What are you working on nowadays? We haven't spoken in some time and I was curious how you are faring wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:49 AM