How I Now Practice.., your first alternate lesson
leedbreak
Nov 3 2007, 12:22 AM
GMC:er
Hey Muris,

Just looking for your opinion on how I now practice your first alternate lesson:

6 times through with 70 backing to get me warmed up and a fired up (99 % Correct)

Then a few times at 80 with metronome (99 % Correct)

Then a few times at 85 with metronome (95 % Correct)

Then I do the 90 backing a few times (80% Correct)

Then a few 95 and 100 with the metronome (75 % Correct)

Then I do 110/120 (70 % Correct) with both metro and backing. I have gone back to my theory a little that I must force the 100 and higher a few times in order to let my brain and hands get a taste of what the true goal is, even though it is not completely clean. I have played this enough to know if I am staying in correct playing or not when attempting a tad too fast speed. And more importantly I know if there is improvement or NOT. And where the troubled areas are.

(Pavel is gonna get me for saying that, but this does help me as long as I have the slower ones under my belt)

After the force as I now call it, I see the slower BPM’s coming to be cleaner and smoother than they have ever been. It seems to also help me play the slower ones with less effort, lighter fingers and shorter picking strokes

There is still something to be said about challenging myself, is part of what is working for me. I am going to keep doing it.

Then, I just start over. Did this for 4 hours last night and 3 of those hours I had the amp set to 80% clean. Boy that will tell on you in a hurry. I am starting to like the sound of this lesson with very little distortion.

I maybe working up the nerve up to post a video with the amp set on clean, no promises yet though.

Anyway, the weekend is here and I love a challenged weekend of guitar. My typical weekend has been at least 10 hours for over 2 months now on mainly 4 different lessons.

I can not get enough. I am so addicted.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
Pavel
Nov 3 2007, 12:36 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (leedbreak @ Nov 3 2007, 12:22 AM) *
(Pavel is gonna get me for saying that, but this does help me as long as I have the slower ones under my belt)

laugh.gif laugh.gif Man, i can only advise you, i can not force you to do something so it's up to you! wink.gif Don't worry, i'm not getting my gun and a ticket to USA laugh.gif laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 3 2007, 12:44 AM
Instructor
Fine progress,it's good to be guitar addict biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Nov 3 2007, 12:45 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Nov 2 2007, 06:36 PM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif Man, i can only advise you, i can not force you to do something so it's up to you! wink.gif Don't worry, i'm not getting my gun and a ticket to USA laugh.gif laugh.gif

If we can sit down for a cold one and I can see you play a few of your lessons up close before you pull the trigger, it might be worth it.

I hope to post my AP4 75 wink.gif this weekend.

--------------------
- leedbreak

+Quote Post
Pavel
Nov 3 2007, 08:07 PM
Instructor
Cool, i'll be glad to watch it! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 3 2007, 03:22 PM
Instructor
I must bump in and add that if you practise something with 99% correctness you should stay on that speed for some time in order ti advance to the next level. You will really not get far if you play something even with a 95%. That means that there are notes that you actually do`t play and then ask your self is it more important to play fast and miss notes of play slow and nail every one of them? Good example is Muris playing, he nails every note perfectly, but only because he stayed slow for weeks\months (i presume). Same is with you man.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Dec 3 2007, 11:05 PM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Dec 3 2007, 08:22 AM) *
I must bump in and add that if you practise something with 99% correctness you should stay on that speed for some time in order ti advance to the next level. You will really not get far if you play something even with a 95%. That means that there are notes that you actually do`t play and then ask your self is it more important to play fast and miss notes of play slow and nail every one of them? Good example is Muris playing, he nails every note perfectly, but only because he stayed slow for weeks\months (i presume). Same is with you man.

Thanks for your reply.

One thing that has help me since posting this is, if my max is say 80 on a any group of notes. And I can hit them perfectly but at 84 or so I start missing them. I went for days not just hours at the 80 or maybe 82 and never seemed to get the 84 any better. Very aggravating. But after making a number of attempts at say 95 while very sloppy I can then go back and hit the 84 clean. It is like my hands refuses to go faster till I show them how cool its going to be when they do.

There was something wrong and I set out to fix it.

Now the real Truth.

Many on this forum have heard me say these things before but I now know why this “over speed Playing” has helped me personally.

It was simply because my pick stoke was too deep into the strings at slower speed. This was making it impossible to go any faster, and totally impossible to play relaxed. When I played to fast it seemed better because my stroke was at the tip.

Playing too fast might not have helped my accuracy but it has made me completely aware of my pick stroke itself. It has made every single thing I play better.

I am now coming into my next level and I owe my picking stoke all the credit. I can now play very slow with the same stroke I learned going fast.

Many post are on here about “Are we self taught or not” Well, I was when it come to my stroke. If I had a teacher sitting next to me he would have pointed it out to me. Then I would have been able to work my way up as we all need to do. All the other lessons are coming up slowly in speed now that I know where the problem was.

--------------------
- leedbreak

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 3 2007, 11:16 PM
Instructor
Hi Jason smile.gif

One thing that's really important here is pick gauge.
Have you tried many of them?
This also depends of string gauge in combination with the pick gauge,
Just have it in mind and explore a bit.
Also try different shapes,perhaps you could get better grip with bigger/smaller one.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Dec 4 2007, 12:16 AM
QUOTE (Muris @ Dec 3 2007, 04:16 PM) *
Hi Jason smile.gif

One thing that's really important here is pick gauge.
Have you tried many of them?
This also depends of string gauge in combination with the pick gauge,
Just have it in mind and explore a bit.
Also try different shapes,perhaps you could get better grip with bigger/smaller one.

Hi Muris, welcome back you were missed.

My strings are 42-9, pick is Dunlop 1.14 regular shape. I did buy picks that are more and less pointed the last time I went shopping and also got a few 1.5. I have been trying them with mixed results. But keep going back to the regular shaped 1.14
I know you have posted this info elsewhere, but what do you prefer for both?

I am super proud of how well my pent Sub lesson is coming along. cool.gif

--------------------
- leedbreak

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 4 2007, 11:28 PM
Instructor
Thanks Jason smile.gif

This is my use of picks.
Heavy one,2mm and above for el.guitar.
1mm for acoustic,steel and plastic.
I try to make balance between pick and strings,
heavy pick for thiner string and opposite,works fine. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Dec 5 2007, 11:06 PM
QUOTE (Muris @ Dec 4 2007, 04:28 PM) *
Thanks Jason smile.gif

This is my use of picks.
Heavy one,2mm and above for el.guitar.
1mm for acoustic,steel and plastic.
I try to make balance between pick and strings,
heavy pick for thiner string and opposite,works fine. smile.gif

I was thinking of going thicker. What size/brand stings do you use that 2mm pick with?

Thanks for all you help, Muris

--------------------
- leedbreak

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 6 2007, 12:23 AM
Instructor
Normal 009-042.
But you can use it with 010 or even 011.
The trick is with tension,electric strings don't have it to much,
while acoustic strings do. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Muris: Dec 6 2007, 12:24 AM

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:42 PM