What Are Some Good Artists In These Styles?
shellshock1911
Nov 30 2007, 03:13 AM
GMC:er
I've been playing guitar for about 1 year now and I have just realized how narrow my learning of the tons of different styles of guitar has been, all I have been learning is metal. As you know, restricting yourself to one style can only hurt you as a guitarist. So I've decided I am going to add learning new styles and practicing them into my daily practice schedule. Some of the styles I want to start learning are blues, jazz, and classical music.

I was wondering if you guys knew any good artists in these styles that I can have a listen to, because I want to be pretty familar with the music I am learning and playing. Obviously in blues you have Jimi Hendrix, SRV, etc, I'm sure there are way more but I don't know any but I want to listen to some more. As far as jazz goes, I know of absolutely no one, so any help here would be appreciated! And I already kind of love neo-classical music and am starting to like traditional classical music due to the addition of classical lessons on this site. Some of the composers I know are Bach, Mozart, and Paganini but that is about it.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 30 2007, 03:29 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Stanley Jordan for Jazz, and alos Django Rheinhardt, check out Robins recommendation list, TONS of amazing musicians in there! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
JVM
Nov 30 2007, 03:34 AM
Learning Roadie
If you want to listen to some classical music, try some standards like Chopin, Beethoven, Schubert, Liszt, Tchaikovsky, etc.

As far as blues, check out Gary Moore, Jeff Beck, Peter Green, Santana (such as on the Abraxis album) etc.

This post has been edited by JVM: Nov 30 2007, 03:37 AM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 30 2007, 03:37 AM
i wonder when robin is gonna post Bjorn Berge laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Robin
Nov 30 2007, 03:44 AM
For blues you have to learn SRV songs . You'll learn all about playing dead notes and really get the groove.
Johnny Winter is also amazing.

Heres a few jazz artists:

Hot Club De Norvége
Dave Brubeck
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Wes Montgomery

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Nov 30 2007, 03:37 AM) *
i wonder when robin is gonna post Bjorn Berge laugh.gif

I dont think he's asking for that style tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Robin: Nov 30 2007, 03:51 AM

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 30 2007, 03:50 AM
I just always expect it now laugh.gif

+Quote Post
nickmarx12345678
Nov 30 2007, 03:51 AM
If you want some great blues/rock and occasoinaly jazz you might try learning some santana also

--------------------
ROCK ON!!!!

+Quote Post
Robin
Nov 30 2007, 03:53 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Nov 30 2007, 03:50 AM) *
I just always expect it now laugh.gif

Very well then!

The funkiest version of Travelling Riverside Blues evar

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 30 2007, 03:56 AM
That is too cool smile.gif

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Nov 30 2007, 03:57 AM
Alright thx guys! Any tips on some albums I should buy off Amazon so I can listen to them on my ride to school and whatnot?

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: Nov 30 2007, 03:58 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Robin
Nov 30 2007, 04:05 AM
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Nov 30 2007, 03:57 AM) *
Alright thx guys! Any tips on some albums I should buy off Amazon so I can listen to them on my ride to school and whatnot?

The Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan
The Essential Miles Davis

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Dec 1 2007, 01:15 AM
Classical is one of my stronger points so I'll offer some insight. Some of my favourite composers are:
Beethoven (classical/romantic era, absolute god)
Shostakovich (soviet born 20th century composer)
Stravinsky (20th century neoclassist)
Shoenberg (the father of serialism)
Wagner (german romantic opera giant)
Tippett (20th century british composer)

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Dec 1 2007, 01:39 AM
John McLaughlin plays fusion jazz or something (I basically don't know anything about jazz), and he owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBxz3o9e0yw

--------------------

+Quote Post
VinceG
Dec 1 2007, 03:47 PM
Mahavishnu Orchestra- The Inner Mountain Flame

One of the best fusion jazz ever recorded in the history of music. Very important album.

This post has been edited by VinceG: Dec 1 2007, 03:47 PM

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 1 2007, 05:39 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
+1 with Vince G here - exceptional album and exceptionally important - might not be obvious on a first listen -wasn't to me smile.gif but it grows on you with time and I certainly have 'grown up' with it.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 2 2007, 06:36 PM
Instructor
If you wanna play the blues man, check out how old guys did it wink.gif Robert Johnson, SKip James, Lightnin Hopkins, Bukka White, Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf etc... Also some of more modern legends like Albert King, Freddy King, BB King and some J.L.Hooker too are great in developing your phrasing and give you a sence of melody and rhythm. Hendrix is a legend, in blues also, but i don`t think that he was that much of a bluesguy, he was more of a hippyguy wink.gif (i am huge fan of his so this is NOT disrespecting) Try to listen to SRV, but be carefull, he has some distinctive chops smile.gif AS for jazz, check out Miles man, that guy`s melody is briliant, guitar players - Joe Pass, Kenny Burrell, Charlie Byrd, Raphael Fayos etc..

Hope this helps smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Dec 2 2007, 06:40 PM
I will just throw in Townes Van Zandt for some of his more bluesy stuff. I agree with Milenkovic Ivan. Try out Snake Mountain Blues by him.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Dec 11 2007, 08:01 PM
Instructor
If you want to learn these styles of playing, you should totally check out Guthrie Govan. He is a fusion player, so basically his style is the mixture of jazz, blues, funk and rock. Check out his videos on youtube for starters if you're interested! smile.gif

-Toni

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:05 PM