2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Crossfire Collaboration, UPLOADS & COMMENTS THREAD
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 10 2009, 02:36 PM
Instructor
Here you can put your takes for the Crossfire collab and get my text comments, after you put the takes smile.gif

Here's the main thread

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
axes
Aug 10 2009, 06:09 PM
GMC:er
Hey Ivan, hey guys smile.gif

I've finished my take on this collab, here are the files (uploaded in wav because my mp3 encoder is not alright) smile.gif

I hope you like it smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  axes_crossfire_collab_bt.wav ( 13.13MB ) Number of downloads: 220
Attached File  axes_crossfire_collab_gtronly.wav ( 12.83MB ) Number of downloads: 172

+Quote Post
sted
Aug 10 2009, 07:54 PM
Learning Rock Star
first attempt! I almost know what you're going to say Ivan but I couldnt help myself, the tempo defeated me and I reverted to type! rolleyes.gif

Attached File  crossfire_WBT.mp3 ( 621.83K ) Number of downloads: 244

Attached File  crossfire_NBT.mp3 ( 621.83K ) Number of downloads: 225

+Quote Post
superize
Aug 11 2009, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Here is my take.....

Not really good at composing blues solos

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Crossfire_WBT.mp3 ( 608.8K ) Number of downloads: 268
Attached File  Crossfire_WOBT.mp3 ( 575.41K ) Number of downloads: 211

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 11 2009, 08:14 PM
Instructor
axes:

Rhythm: Good rhythmical phrases that usually come in pairs or quads here, you seem to play in that kind of a structure here, and relly more on a rhythmic aspect of the solo. Everything is fitted nicely, and almost all the notes came out pretty clear which is excellent cause lots of them are played in 16th triplets. I think the overall impression is good in terms of speed, but a bit more better structure could be used, one that would accent the dynamics of the solo better and make a better build up. For example I would like to see some slower paced licks in the first part and later possibly developing more complicated and faster passages. So focus on rhythm dynamics is something that requires more attention. Structure and execution alone are great.
Phrasing: Not bad at all, there are some cool phrases within, and most of them are connected the same way as rhythm ones. duo or quad groups of phrases with changed last phrase, and often turned into a fast passage/run. This is all very good, but I believe those end phrases could benefit from better note lands. In the second phrase in the end for example there is ending on the minor third (G), which is kinda acquard note to land on I have an impression the lick was started and stoped somewhere before the end. SO main focus for you should be on more longer notes, and really having a time to stop and thing about the licks and runs that you want to do, so they really form a nice story when played together. Story that will have introduction, main part, and conclusion. All the elements are there but matched in a more raw way that woudl require a bit more careful note choice.
technique/effects: Great technqiue and well executed solo, almost all the notes are there, and they are all very clean even the fast runs are nice and pleasant to listen. I found the solo quite effective in terms of technique just because of shear cleanness of playing.
Sound: Good sound, lots of mids so it cuts trough very sharply, it's a bit louder than backing but I will fix that. Just right amount of overdrive and everything, and the thing I would like to hear that is more overtones in sound, it is narrowly mid-focused. Although there is small amount of air in the sound, adding a very light reverb would sound cool.

sted:

Rhythm: Good rhythmical phrase that repeats throughout the solo, I like it and the pauses that you did are also very important. I think in overall, although the phrases are repeating several times, you managed to make it interesting because you inserted some subtle details here and there, and used different passages and different kinds of pauses in between them so it remains interesting. One thing that needs more work is timing. Gotta be perfectly in beat with the backing.
Phrasing: Good use of pentatonics, I like the melodies and I specially like the last couple of phrases in the end. You really started something there that sounds excellent, and in the end executed a small sequence that resembles on the stuff you played in the first part so it was "kinda" uneffective way to finish, but still very good. I just had an impression that after that great last part, you will finish in the same style - developing those few phrases. They were really inspiring. All in all good phrasing, and somewhat repetitive first part with an excellent shining second part moment.
Techniques: Solid playing, I like it. What could better are vibratos that are too narrow and fast/uncontrolled. They should be quite oposite, wide and controlled. I probably said this numerious times, perhaps I already spotted this, but still it's something to focus on, because I do believe you play great and I think you will benefit a lot from more vibrato exercises.
Sound: Very good sound, tasty and smooth. The reverb could be backed off a bit, but I like the dark texture of it. Sounds cool, possibly the tail should be shortened out just a little. Everything else is solid.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Aug 11 2009, 08:15 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
axes
Aug 11 2009, 08:33 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 11 2009, 09:14 PM) *
The review

Thank you, Ivan! I absolutely agree with you, and I admit that I didn't work too much on the melody, but took a more rythmical and technical approach. I think I'll record another take tomorrow and see what I can do to improve the solo smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 11 2009, 10:16 PM
Instructor
@axes
That's great man, thanks a lot! Can't wait to hear new version smile.gif

superize:

Rhythm: Your rhythm choice is very good, couple of long notes, and followed by faster legato passage, then in the second part you kinda slowed down, and did more longer notes in general. I would like to see the other way around to be really effective. Since you have a good sense for rhythm, now it is time to consider analyzing the concepts of rhythm dynamics, and how notes should create an effective build up until the end. Nevertheless, you have perfect timing in this solo.
Phrasing: Your solo impressed me because of the fact you are not into blues. However, I can see that you really tried to play this properly, and respect you very much because of that, great attitude. You started with mixolydian feel, and used legato lick with major third to back it up, after that couple of bends, and then minor third legato lick. Simple and raw? Yes, but in essence proper way to do it. In the second part good use of minor box 1 on the 12th fret, and I only wish you played it a bit more faster or used some cool bends. This would give a more effective ending for the solo. In general, your soloing is good, phrasing techniques are well thought off, and although you have to learn a bit more about blues, you really managed to pull out some melodies that are structured in a good way. This is your way and I respect that. If you want my advise, I suggest learning those pentatonic boxes well in all positions, for example in this case all 5 boxes of E minor pentatonic scale would really give you plenty of familiar space to work in. They will help in metal very much, and complement powerchords in a very effective way. Learning the pentatonic scale is something that is good not only because of the soloing, but riffing as well, so you will benefit from it.
Technique: Although you haven't used any advanced techniques on this one, you managed to use those that will be most effective and they are. Execution is flawless and this is always what I would like to hear more than fast licks but played sloppy. You are a good player, just keep at it.
Sound: Nice smooth tone, sounds good to me. Delay is a bit louder than needed to me, so I think backing off a volume just a tiny bit would make a big difference in the mix. Your solo would push just a bit more forward comparing to other instruments.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Aug 11 2009, 10:16 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
Aug 12 2009, 03:01 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks for the comment Ivan, again the tempo was such that i fell into some old bad habits, I really wanted to mix this up and not just rely on blues scale but it was quite difficult to try and do this with the faster tempo pulling me all over the place. Timing was off in places as you said, i just couldnt get it right that night (We all have bad days i suppose!).
I really want to get into more 3 octave scales and introduce a bit more modal variation into my playing and also modulating with the chord changes a bit more.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 12 2009, 03:33 PM
Instructor
Thanks for this great answer man! smile.gif I think your take was very interesting and quite good actually, I only feel that there are some minor timing issues that you can work on. Perhaps making another take with a bit better timing if you have the time? I will be glad to comment on that if you have the will to investigate 3 octave scales and modal variations. I'm very curious how that will turn up, and I think you can make pretty good track. There's plenty of time left on this collab, so take your time. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Aug 12 2009, 03:33 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Aug 15 2009, 08:49 PM
Mine, I will want to do another take after comments I am sure. IF me busy life allows me time.

Attached File  crossfire_leedbreak_BT.mp3 ( 307.04K ) Number of downloads: 226

Attached File  crossfire_leedbreak_NBT.mp3 ( 307.04K ) Number of downloads: 207

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 16 2009, 03:48 PM
Instructor
@leedbreak

Rhythm: Good rhythmic patterns that repeat over the whole take and have some form of a structure. As always, building a nice dynamics through your rhythm playing is just as important as anything else, so be aware of that. The notes that you play kinda sound like jumping from note to note using the accentuated notes on the quarters of the bar. This created an impression that you are slowing down the track with your solo, which is a good strategy to use sometimes, but not always, like in the second part. There were some timing issues as well that needs to be fixed.
Phrasing: Not too rich but good enough. Using the minor pentatonic box most of the time with occasional outside notes. All in all I think the structure could be a bit better. Lots of phrases are repeated in the same melodic (and rhythmical) way, so I think developing the phrases so that at least the landing notes are different could be a good example what should be done in the next take.
Technique: Good technique, but you need to tighten up the playing a bit. I get the impression that this whole take was done in-speed, or when not warmed up so bends and vibratos, and the playing in general were little clumsy. I believe you can do a lot better.
Sound: Good sound but too much space added. Try softening up that reverb a bit, increase the time, lower down the volume and make it a bit more brighter. No big modifications, just in small increments.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toroso
Aug 17 2009, 11:50 PM
Still can't capture what's in my head. mad.gif At least my fingers can't reproduce it very well. tongue.gif

Attached File  xfire_TOR_BT.mp3 ( 1004.98K ) Number of downloads: 250

Attached File  xfire_TOR_NBT.mp3 ( 1004.98K ) Number of downloads: 204

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Aug 18 2009, 04:45 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 16 2009, 09:48 AM) *
@leedbreak

Thanks Ivan. I will do another take and hope to get it up by the deadline. Life is very busy and I end up having to rush through these somtimes, as you stated. I wrote and recorded it all in an hour. I will put a tad more time and try to use your comments to make a better one.

Great fun these are none the less.

Thanks again

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 18 2009, 06:14 PM
Instructor
Toroso:

Rhythm: Good timing in the take, and good rhythmic structure as well. I can understand the way you were going with this take, and in overall the rhythmical build up is a very solid one, although one thing I would like to hear is more tighter execution and timing in general in this take. I like the way you progressed with faster passages in the second part, and all in all I think practicing those passages with the metronome would really make them even more effective.
Phrasing: Good phrasing, and a very nice development. Everything is very nicely fitted in. Again I note the importance of properly executed notes in this take to create a more defined solo. I believe your phrasing is very nice, and all the ideas are connected to each other, so your main focus should be perhaps on smoothing out those passages so they blend seamlessly into one another, possibly by incorporating some slides here and there, and keeping some of the notes sustaining. In the end I would like to hear the bended root on the treble strings instead of going sharply to the low E string root, so you finish more effectively.
Technique: You technique progress is audible, and I can see that in second part you are now inserting some a bit faster passages that do sound very cool and effective. I think overall quality of your playing could use some refinement, for example bends need to be spot on the pitch, vibratos need to be more stronger and controlled, and I would like to hear some slides as well. Other than that, I think your technique and picking style is probably something that is pretty good, but here you can improve as well, but taking a metronome and practicing some faster passage over and over. This will increase your overall playing ability, not just that particular passage.
Sound: Your tone is very good and it cuts well. There is some amount if hiss in the signal and a small buzzing presence blended in the overdrive, but you have very nice and smooth mids in the sound, so I think the sound is audible nicely in the mix. Well done

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 18 2009, 07:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (leedbreak @ Aug 18 2009, 05:45 AM) *
Thanks Ivan. I will do another take and hope to get it up by the deadline. Life is very busy and I end up having to rush through these somtimes, as you stated. I wrote and recorded it all in an hour. I will put a tad more time and try to use your comments to make a better one.

Great fun these are none the less.

Thanks again

Thanks a lot for the feedback man, I do believe that you can do it much better if you find some time, but I completely understand what it means lacking time, it can definitely affect on a person, when it has busy time schedule.
So I say, try not to worry about it, and if you can manage to take another shot at this, I will be happy to comment, compare and analyze.

cheers bro,
Ivan

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toroso
Aug 18 2009, 07:33 PM
Thanks Ivan! All you say is very true. I am trying loosen up some. When I am just banging on the guitar, I do employ a lot of the techniques you ask for. But it is often a little sloppy. rolleyes.gif When I go to record I get tight and a lot of my creativity is suppressed, but I'm working on it.

The hiss comes from Amplitube. This is the first time I recorded with it. A lot of their patches are very noisy and the noise gate, I do not like the way it works. Line 6 has a much better one IMHO. Of course that is not their fault as I have the option of twisting some knobs. biggrin.gif

In the end I would like to hear the bended root on the treble strings instead of going sharply to the low E string root, so you finish more effectively.

Aw shucks, I thought you might like that, I pulled it right out of Crossfire. Oh well, all's well. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Toroso: Aug 18 2009, 07:43 PM

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
edguy
Aug 18 2009, 09:20 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey Ivan,

here is my take for the collab. It's really bad smile.gif but i had a bad day too.
I looking forward to your comments but i think i didn't have enough time to do another take. But who knows smile.gif

Attached File  CrossfireCollabWBT.mp3 ( 916.34K ) Number of downloads: 218

Attached File  CrossfireCollabNOBT.mp3 ( 609.77K ) Number of downloads: 207

--------------------
My gear:
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 18 2009, 10:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Toroso @ Aug 18 2009, 08:33 PM) *
Thanks Ivan! All you say is very true. I am trying loosen up some. When I am just banging on the guitar, I do employ a lot of the techniques you ask for. But it is often a little sloppy. rolleyes.gif When I go to record I get tight and a lot of my creativity is suppressed, but I'm working on it.

The hiss comes from Amplitube. This is the first time I recorded with it. A lot of their patches are very noisy and the noise gate, I do not like the way it works. Line 6 has a much better one IMHO. Of course that is not their fault as I have the option of twisting some knobs. biggrin.gif

Suppressing is overcomed with time spent on recording various things. It's basically always harder when recording, so it's not something unusual. Perhaps copying the backing and recording 5 takes at once can give you time to loosen up and produce better results? It sure works for me, my playing flow is definitely ruined when I have to press stop&record all the time.

If you just started using Amplitube, I think you got a pretty decent sound actually. Just give yourself some time and I'm sure you will get familiar witht he software inside and out smile.gif

Aw shucks, I thought you might like that, I pulled it right out of Crossfire. Oh well, all's well. smile.gif

AAh so this is why it is played? biggrin.gif Well it is not a bad moment there, but perhaps another way of playing it could be used? Try to match the last phrase so it blends nicely with that low E, if you know what I mean.

edguy:

Rhtyhm: Very nice rhythmical structure. I like the way you have 2 big phrases in the first part, and some nice variations in the middle. In the last part you applied faster passages which all together turned out pretty cool and effective. This is definitely a proper way to build a rhythm dynamics within a solo. THe things that I can recommend for you to work on is timing and proper execution. All the notes should be ideally perfectly in tempo, no notes should be slow or fast, everything should be on spot. This is somewhat difficult while improvising, when you have an idea but cannot quite perform that well. Nevertheless, I think you did great, and only those couple of last fast passages could use some time with the metronome.
Phrasing: First two phrases are very good, very nice call & response structure. After that, one middle mainstream bluesy phrase, and after that some cool legato passages. As I said with rhythm, proper execution the key here, and also watch out so that you stay within a key. There are some notes that you played by mistake here and there. Not a big deal, but it would definitely meana lot when all of them would be perfect. This is not so hard to achieve, just some time spent practicing this kind of a pattern will secure that.
Technique: Good technique all around. I think bends could be a bit stronger, and vibrato should be applied on more places within the solo. Other than that, it's pretty solid.
Sound: Good sound, just the right amount of overdriven bluesy tone. Very good. I think a bit more overdrive with smooth midrange could do wonders here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
edguy
Aug 19 2009, 07:48 AM
Learning Roadie
HEy Ivan,

thanks for your detailed comment. I'm really happy how much time and passion you place with your work here. Your such a cool guy. The Deadline is the 25 august right? Well i try to heed your advices and try to record another take in time.

I think I really improve by participating in this collab. Thanks again for that!!

greetz

Roman

--------------------
My gear:
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 19 2009, 03:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (edguy @ Aug 19 2009, 08:48 AM) *
HEy Ivan,

thanks for your detailed comment. I'm really happy how much time and passion you place with your work here. Your such a cool guy. The Deadline is the 25 august right? Well i try to heed your advices and try to record another take in time.

I think I really improve by participating in this collab. Thanks again for that!!

greetz

Roman

Nice thing to say man, appreciate it smile.gif I like when I get feedbacks for the comments and I also very much like to hear another take after the comment, so if you find the time, it would be great. Thanks again!: )

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:21 AM