Tube Amp Advices
Xuestor
Aug 31 2007, 03:33 AM
GMC:er
Hey!

I'm looking to buy a new amp. This is what I think. I need a tube amp, good for house practice (and apartment practice), and all the way up to SMALL giggs, or pratice with band. I'm not sure if I need an combo or head. Good distortion and Versatility is a BIG must.

What's the options for me? Ive been looking at the hughes and Kettner 50W combo with digital effects, but it might bee too loud, right?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear:
Epi LP with SD SH-2/SD SH-6
Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS Bourbon burst
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Vintage Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco burst
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head with 2*12 Celestion Vintage 30's Cab

Grammatic Professional auf Schweden
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 31 2007, 04:08 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Xuestor @ Aug 30 2007, 10:33 PM) *
Hey!

I'm looking to buy a new amp. This is what I think. I need a tube amp, good for house practice (and apartment practice), and all the way up to SMALL giggs, or pratice with band. I'm not sure if I need an combo or head. Good distortion and Versatility is a BIG must.

What's the options for me? Ive been looking at the hughes and Kettner 50W combo with digital effects, but it might bee too loud, right?

Yeah, I would say you shou8ld be looking 15W - 30W for what you want, I'll let other make the recomendataions, except I would mention the Carvin Vintage 16 - I was looking at that as a possibililty for practice, might be slightly underpowered for rehearsal though.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 31 2007, 04:18 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Xuestor @ Aug 31 2007, 04:33 AM) *
Hey!

It's loud alright, but what amazes me with it that it also sounds way teriffic on low volumes.

For a small gig if you play unmiked you need 30-50W, if you play miked through a PA you can get a smaller amp.

The H&K Switchblade got both your musts, good distortion (from crunchy up to modern british or US hi-gain) and versatility, lots of it.

+Quote Post
buttmonk
Aug 31 2007, 04:43 AM
yo,

I highly recommend the Orange Tiny Terror head and PPC112 cab (or any other good cab, tho the Orange cab is good quality and decent price). The head is 7/15W switcheable and is class A all tube design, no nasty digital bits in it. Sound-wise it has "that Orange sound" (whatever that is), good cleans and some pretty knarly overdrive that will do u all the way up to hard rock and just-about-metal. Apparently it also takes pedals well if u want to push it over the edge but I have not found the need for this yet. It really does output a true tube sound which I could not get with the other combo or digital equipment I tried for same price. Price is not too bad, around €700 for the head and cab. The only negative side perhaps is lack of features, only 1 channel and no effects loop, but this is the price u pay for real tubes at this price...so to speak.. I am not good enough for gigging so have never tried but have read that many people have found it plenty loud enough for small gigs in 15W mode where u really get to overdrive the pre and power amp tubes, but the beauty of course is u can also switch it to 7W mode and still get decent overdriven preamp distortion at bedroom type volumes. Oh, and it is built like a tank.

http://www.orangeamps.com/tinyterror/

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...iny+Terror/10/1

http://www.thomann.de/gb/orange_tiny_terror.htm

cool.gif

Oh yeh, and this is my first post, wehay! I have been hovering around for a while but just recently decided to take the plunge and sign-up. I have been learning for bit less than a year and have been hovering around here and freelicks.net for I while now. Kris, if u happen to read this, I'd just like to say a big thank u, I still suck real bad, but u have had the number 1 biggest positive impact on my guitar learning. The concept for this site is great, it is a cool idea and it really seems to be working well because of the people using it.

This post has been edited by buttmonk: Aug 31 2007, 04:56 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
brandon
Aug 31 2007, 07:10 AM
well, if you're not looking to spend a lot of money and you want something that sounds good and you can play shows with.....I'd say go with a Sovtek. They don't make them anymore, but you can find them on ebay for pretty cheap. if you're saying you want something to play shows with and practice with in your home i'd still suggest getting something with some volume to it.....in my opinion if you're planning on playing shows and you're only getting one amp then you should definitely go with one that will work well in a show type setting...at your house you can always turn it down...and if that doesn't work you can always get a power brake. anyway, about Sovtek....there's really 3 amps you'll see on ebay, the Mig 60, Mig 100, and Mig 50. i think they made a few others, but you don't really ever see them. i would suggest getting the Mig 60 or the Mig 100. the Mig 50 doesn't have a lot of distortion to it. the Mig 60 though is a 50 watt handwired amp that is very very similar to a marshall....the big difference though is that marshall stop making handwired amps towards the end of 73.....except for a recent reissue of their handwired amps that will cost you an arm and a leg (around $3k). you can find a sovtek mig 60 for around $450-$500 including shipping....so not to shabby of a deal. here's the link to one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sovtek-MIG-60-Tube-Gui...1QQcmdZViewItem

it is a head so you'll need a cabinet too. here's a great company that makes cheap cabinets with good speakers and they are made out of Birch. They're called avatar and they make a really awesome 4x12 cabinet with greenback http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

This post has been edited by brandon: Sep 1 2007, 06:56 AM

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Aug 31 2007, 01:35 PM
Also, see the below thread as we are discussing this more in depth for someone who is asking a similar question. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Link

Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Aug 31 2007, 02:13 PM
Me being the great advertiser i say.. Krank Jr stack.. head and 1 cab.. its small yet still a krank its like the home/ small gigs amp. If you want to go all out.. then get a Krank 100watt head and yer set for life.

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Xuestor
Sep 1 2007, 01:27 AM
What is a Powerbreak? How does that work?

--------------------
Gear:
Epi LP with SD SH-2/SD SH-6
Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS Bourbon burst
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Vintage Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco burst
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head with 2*12 Celestion Vintage 30's Cab

Grammatic Professional auf Schweden

+Quote Post
brandon
Sep 1 2007, 05:33 AM
QUOTE (Xuestor @ Aug 31 2007, 08:27 PM) *
What is a Powerbreak? How does that work?

a power brake is basically a box filled with resistors...that's a very very simple explaination. what it does though is allows you to crank your amp all the way up so that you can get that cranked amp sound, but then it acts kind of like a master volume where you can turn it down again and retain that cranked sound. basically you can have the sound and tone of your amp wide open, but at a low volume. this is the marshall version http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mar...ator?sku=483191 i used to have one and it worked surprisingly well. there was only a slight change in the tone when i would turn it down, but i think that was mostly the speakers not getting pushed as hard. if you check ebay you can probably get one for $200-$300.

This post has been edited by brandon: Sep 1 2007, 05:35 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:29 PM