Finger Strength, Just uncomfortable, no "pain"
Anomaly
Aug 9 2007, 09:05 PM
GMC:er
Hi!

I haven't been practising a lot lately (due to my wrist; I also have a little pain in my back, but that's for the complaint post dry.gif ) but still my left hand fingers feel a little awkward. Like right now I'm not using my index to type.
Also I did strength exercises for my fingers with this rubber ring (kinda like the grip master) for a few days about a week or two ago. I didn't exaggerate and nothing was wrong then.

Now, the thing is that it's not painful. But the fingers, especially the index finger, feels a little swollen when I make a fist (or even when my fingers are half an inch away from the palm - making a fist). If you look really hard you can see that it's a little bigger.

So is this something to be concerned about, or is this just my muscles building up? unsure.gif

Because I would say that it's just my muscles, but it feels bloated. So maybe it's because my muscles are so strong they got too big for my fingers. cool.gif wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 9 2007, 09:17 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Anomaly @ Aug 9 2007, 10:05 PM) *
So is this something to be concerned about, or is this just my muscles building up? unsure.gif

Exactly where is it swollen? To me it doesn't sound like your finger is ok. But just to make sure, why don't you go see a doctor?

Is it the joint that's swollen? Then rest! Is the swollen area red, or does it feel warm - sign of possible inflammation.

I don't mean to alarm you smile.gif Don't see me, see a real doctor! rolleyes.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Anomaly
Aug 9 2007, 10:02 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 9 2007, 10:17 PM) *
.., why don't you go see a doctor?

I don't like them. tongue.gif

No, the joint doesn't look swollen, mostly the meaty parts on the inner side that go to the first knuckles (counting from palm to the fingertips) look a little (really little) bigger and I can feel them the most while making a fist. But if I fret or try to type with the index, then the whole finger feels strange. And it's not red and doesn't feel warm.

It's just that when I read about how other's fingers adjusted, I don't read about feeling fingers bloated, only that they "hurt". Maybe it's the same thing.
And maybe the finger strengthening doesn't feel like other body parts strengthening?
Or that my fingers used to be extra weak?

I'm going to wait till I need surgery to go to the doctor. wink.gif
No, I'm going to rest and see how it goes.

This post has been edited by Anomaly: Aug 9 2007, 10:05 PM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 9 2007, 10:30 PM
QUOTE (Anomaly @ Aug 9 2007, 11:02 PM) *
I'm going to wait till I need surgery to go to the doctor. wink.gif
No, I'm going to rest and see how it goes.

laugh.gif chicken!!!! Just kidding smile.gif

When I've been working with carpentring at home lately, which I'm not used to, I've felt very quickly how my fingers bulked up. Maybe they get bloated a lot quicker than f.ex ones biceps and because of the quick change it feels different, or a bit strange when making a fist. I felt that way, but I couldn't see any swolling though my fingers infact were bigger/watier/bloated/muscular or whatever since I had to take off my wedding ring since it was stuck all of a sudden.

Could be that we suffer from the same disease laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Anomaly
Aug 9 2007, 10:56 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 9 2007, 11:30 PM) *
Could be that we suffer from the same disease laugh.gif

Yeah, and since we discovered it, we should name it. How about muscularity. biggrin.gif

Thanks! I feel a lot better.

And when I said I'm going to rest, I really meant I'm going to keep on playing. smile.gif But with a lot of caution, I won't do anything that could hurt, because I don't like (not fear) doctors. I'm not afraid of them, I'm just afraid of what they might do to me. wink.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 10 2007, 12:01 AM
QUOTE (Anomaly @ Aug 9 2007, 11:56 PM) *
Yeah, and since we discovered it, we should name it. How about muscularity. biggrin.gif

Yeah, and lets complicate it a bit - "Unintentional massive local muscularity"

QUOTE (Anomaly @ Aug 9 2007, 11:56 PM) *
And when I said I'm going to rest, I really meant I'm going to keep on playing.

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Salivtomte
Aug 10 2007, 12:37 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 10 2007, 01:01 AM) *
laugh.gif

Sounds to me like your hand is either injured or really worked out, ive experienced both, when u are injured griping things tends to really hurt, and when you are worked out its more like youre to tired to move your fingers around the fretboard, in case its an injury, wich i belive it is you should go easy on the practicing for some days, but dont put the guitar down, practice slower stuff that smothen up your fingers, no rough bending, just give the hands a chanse to recover by practicing with smoth and mellow movements. And if the pain does not go away in, lets say a week, then you could contact a doctor.

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Aug 10 2007, 12:44 AM
I asked my mom lol... shes a doctor she said just rest them that hapened to me when i started skateboarding 4 years ago... Relax those suckers!! better to not have them for 2 days than your whole life

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post
Anomaly
Aug 10 2007, 03:28 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 10 2007, 01:01 AM) *
laugh.gif

Yeah! That way it will sound even cooler. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Salivtomte @ Aug 10 2007, 01:37 AM) *
Sounds to me like your hand is either injured or really worked out, ive experienced both, when u are injured griping things tends to really hurt, and when you are worked out its more like youre to tired to move your fingers around the fretboard, in case its an injury, wich i belive it is you should go easy on the practicing for some days, but dont put the guitar down, practice slower stuff that smothen up your fingers, no rough bending, just give the hands a chanse to recover by practicing with smoth and mellow movements. And if the pain does not go away in, lets say a week, then you could contact a doctor.

Hmm, since it didn't hurt and since my hands didn't feel tired (just bigger and uncomfortable), then it really is Unintentional massive local muscularity. cool.gif

Yeah, I'm going to take it easy.

And already now it's a lot better though I didn't do anything except watch CSI (Las Vegas). I think I've found the cure. wink.gif
No, really, I stretched a lot and worked out a little, maybe that did it because I got my blood going and stretching of course. Though I'm still not using my index to type. So, I guess it's going to get even better and soon totally disappear. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ibanezkiller @ Aug 10 2007, 01:44 AM) *
I asked my mom lol... shes a doctor she said just rest them that hapened to me when i started skateboarding 4 years ago... Relax those suckers!! better to not have them for 2 days than your whole life

Thanks for the concern!!

You're right about resting, and I'm not going to play today (that much smile.gif ) because it's already late. Gonna take it easy, and stop immediately if it's too strange.

This post has been edited by Anomaly: Aug 10 2007, 03:29 AM

+Quote Post
Rock
Aug 10 2007, 05:00 AM
QUOTE (Anomaly @ Aug 10 2007, 03:28 AM) *
Yeah! That way it will sound even cooler. biggrin.gif
Hmm, since it didn't hurt and since my hands didn't feel tired (just bigger and uncomfortable), then it really is Unintentional massive local muscularity. cool.gif

Yeah, I'm going to take it easy.

And already now it's a lot better though I didn't do anything except watch CSI (Las Vegas). I think I've found the cure. wink.gif
No, really, I stretched a lot and worked out a little, maybe that did it because I got my blood going and stretching of course. Though I'm still not using my index to type. So, I guess it's going to get even better and soon totally disappear. biggrin.gif
Thanks for the concern!!

You're right about resting, and I'm not going to play today (that much smile.gif ) because it's already late. Gonna take it easy, and stop immediately if it's too strange.

It sounds like it's just a bit overworked. Just take it easy a few days and I'm sure it will be fine. Of course, the younger you are the quicker you will heal. My left forearm was all screwed up for awhile between working out and practicing guitar, so I took some time off on the workouts to give it a rest and iced like crazy to reduce inflamation. Now I am slowly increasing my workout routine and just being careful that I don't overdo it until I build back my stamina. At 43, it takes like 3 freakin months to heal instead of a few days to a week. My brain says go, go, go but my body says no, no, no! lol.

Just take it easy and you'll be fine.

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Aug 10 2007, 01:11 PM
I'll sign on this!
I've been rearranging the whole garden. Lawn and walkways and everything which is using muscles I'm not used too and after the first days may fingers and the whole hands felt bigger and different and I sort of had to relearn my playing style. To me anyway it's definitly a case of UMLM biggrin.gif

But I do have more strength in my fingers now smile.gif

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Anomaly
Aug 10 2007, 06:01 PM
QUOTE (Rock @ Aug 10 2007, 06:00 AM) *
It sounds like it's just a bit overworked. Just take it easy a few days and I'm sure it will be fine. Of course, the younger you are the quicker you will heal. My left forearm was all screwed up for awhile between working out and practicing guitar, so I took some time off on the workouts to give it a rest and iced like crazy to reduce inflamation. Now I am slowly increasing my workout routine and just being careful that I don't overdo it until I build back my stamina. At 43, it takes like 3 freakin months to heal instead of a few days to a week. My brain says go, go, go but my body says no, no, no! lol.

Just take it easy and you'll be fine.

Yeah, it felt like I was overworked, but the strange thing is I didn't play that much. I guess it all came down on me later.

Well, I'm 20, but I injured my knee (they said the cartilage got worned; I just steped/jumped and it started to hurt) a year and a half ago, but it still hurts me sometimes if I'm not careful, though it's a lot better.
Just like my wrist from playing (since a couple of months ago), I still can't lean on my palm, so I lean on my fist with the wrist straight.
So, it all depends on the injury and what you do with it, rather than how old are you. You'll be fine in no time.

QUOTE (blindwillie @ Aug 10 2007, 02:11 PM) *
To me anyway it's definitly a case of UMLM biggrin.gif

But I do have more strength in my fingers now smile.gif

biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 10 2007, 06:10 PM
Instructor
Try GripMaster,I'm using it from time to time,helpful tool I must say.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:26 PM