A Very General Question About Picking, and galloping etc.
Ctodd
Nov 7 2008, 09:01 PM
GMC:er
The generally correct way to alternate pick and gallop etc is from the elbow right?

in other words, I should try to keep my wrist relaxed and immobile, and move my elbow to strike the strings

does this seem correct?

EDIT: Also you should keep your finggers anchored on the pickguard (or just the face of the guitar) right?
also I would like to ask: Would you consider it to be bad technique if I placed my palm on the the thinner strings while I am playing alternate picking on the thicker strings? I just recently realized that what I am doing might not be the best... because my prgress has been slow lately.

Thanks,

Chris

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ctodd: Nov 7 2008, 09:17 PM

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 7 2008, 09:35 PM
Instructor
Quite the opposite mate, I think you should be playing from the wrist, not the elbow, and not anchor your hand at the pickguard at all. The part of the palm should be on the bass strings muting them while you play the treble strings. But you are right about keeping the wrist and the hand relaxed as possible.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Nov 7 2008, 09:35 PM
NOOO!!!! all picking should come from the wrist.. if your picking from your elbow it means you need to work on your ap more smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Nov 7 2008, 09:49 PM
unsure.gif yikes, its a good thing I asked this...

I've got alot of work to do on AP then...

anyway, thanks!

-Chris

This post has been edited by Ctodd: Nov 8 2008, 01:05 AM

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 7 2008, 10:10 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Yes, definitely wrist! Really good APers report that they can get an extra few BPM for fast passages by locking the wrist and moving the entire arm but they lose a lot of control that way and its only for the real fast stuff that its worth doing it.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Nov 7 2008, 10:36 PM
Instructor
When I started practicing Alternate picking, I tried all, finally came to a conclusion that I believe most will disagree. I use finger flicking, wrist movements, and elbow.

Like Andrew said, the fastest passages need that elbow speed, the trick is to use the wrist and fingers at the same time for control. At lower speeds Only wrist movements are fine, and when playing slow, finger movement is OK. But combining all is the best to me, it gives you more dynamics, because with every type of movement you hit the string differently and sounds different so you can have different sounds. That is what works for me.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
ParalyzedHorse
Nov 8 2008, 09:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy7bOAzq_24

Check out this guy, he has the best right hand technique I have ever seen, in my opinion. He only moves his index and thumb.

This post has been edited by ParalyzedHorse: Nov 8 2008, 09:08 AM

+Quote Post
Ian Bushell
Nov 8 2008, 09:13 AM
Instructor
Picking should generally come from the wrist. I agree with Jose though for different things you may need to alter what you're doing slightly to get through some passages.

QUOTE (ParalyzedHorse @ Nov 8 2008, 10:03 AM) *
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy7bOAzq_24

Check out this guy, he has the best right hand technique I have ever seen, in my opinion. He only moves his index and thumb.

Thanks for sharing that was quite impressive:)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Oxac
Nov 8 2008, 11:43 AM
I think takayoshi is a decent player, I mean... where's the dynamics? Every stroke sounds the same imo. If you look at Paul Gilbert instead... I mean, there you've got righthand technique, because of the control he's got. Andy timmons as well, great dynamics.

What do they have in common? They use their wrist to pick.

Just my 2 cents.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
berko
Nov 8 2008, 12:14 PM
QUOTE (Oxac @ Nov 8 2008, 11:43 AM) *
I think takayoshi is a decent player, I mean... where's the dynamics? Every stroke sounds the same imo. If you look at Paul Gilbert instead... I mean, there you've got righthand technique, because of the control he's got. Andy timmons as well, great dynamics.

What do they have in common? They use their wrist to pick.

Just my 2 cents.

I can agree with that.

I've watched his vid and even though he has great control and very fine wrist movements (barely visible), but that music did not blow me away. I liked the hybrid picking part with the muted bass string riffs that were combined with open strings. smile.gif

Still, if i had not concentrated on the music, i would have had the impression of listening to a skilled typewriter typing War and peace for 5 minutes.

my humble opinion there

EDIT: on the original topic my advice would be to use only the wrist but remain relax, as others had said before. when you dive into speed picking you can then experiment with a little bit of the elbow but combined with your wrist...

This post has been edited by berko: Nov 8 2008, 12:16 PM

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Nov 8 2008, 02:02 PM
Instructor
Usualy greater muscles (elbow) are for strenght, and littier ones are for control, in my case fixating the littier (wrist) while elbows do the work let my pay slightly faster but you have masters out there like Guthire Govan that says you need only wirst movement regardless the speed.
Even you are using your elbow, if you look closely you still can make some little movement with the wrist, it is worth to look at cause it gives you more control. (I use that kind of playing for Argentinian folk music on nylon string guitar that uses only down resstroke for anything)

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Noangels
Nov 8 2008, 05:48 PM
I use finger and thumb for most and wrist when needed.There isnt a wrong way to play.You just do what your body does

vinne moore uses elbow in some of his playing

Heres a 5 year old clip of my bad self playing some lines for an old guitar forum I was a member at.As you can see its all finger and thumb in this clip but I can angle the pick slightly and use the wrist when I need too.

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
ParalyzedHorse
Nov 8 2008, 08:17 PM
QUOTE (berko @ Nov 8 2008, 05:14 AM) *
I can agree with that.

I've watched his vid and even though he has great control and very fine wrist movements (barely visible), but that music did not blow me away. I liked the hybrid picking part with the muted bass string riffs that were combined with open strings. smile.gif

Still, if i had not concentrated on the music, i would have had the impression of listening to a skilled typewriter typing War and peace for 5 minutes.

my humble opinion there

EDIT: on the original topic my advice would be to use only the wrist but remain relax, as others had said before. when you dive into speed picking you can then experiment with a little bit of the elbow but combined with your wrist...

You might not like that particular song of his, but I think he is capable of playing with "feeling" so to speak

check out this video:

its actually my favorite one of his. (ignore the corny riff at the beginning)

+Quote Post
FrankW
Nov 8 2008, 09:18 PM
QUOTE (Noangels @ Nov 8 2008, 05:48 PM) *
I use finger and thumb for most and wrist when needed.There isnt a wrong way to play.You just do what your body does

vinne moore uses elbow in some of his playing

Heres a 5 year old clip of my bad self playing some lines for an old guitar forum I was a member at.As you can see its all finger and thumb in this clip but I can angle the pick slightly and use the wrist when I need too.

That's some good playing, man. Real cool ideas. I'm going to steal some if that's okay. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 8 2008, 11:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jose Mena @ Nov 7 2008, 10:36 PM) *
When I started practicing Alternate picking, I tried all, finally came to a conclusion that I believe most will disagree. I use finger flicking, wrist movements, and elbow.

Like Andrew said, the fastest passages need that elbow speed, the trick is to use the wrist and fingers at the same time for control. At lower speeds Only wrist movements are fine, and when playing slow, finger movement is OK. But combining all is the best to me, it gives you more dynamics, because with every type of movement you hit the string differently and sounds different so you can have different sounds. That is what works for me.

I agree with Jose, every picking technique is welcomed, so everything should be practiced in general.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 8 2008, 11:27 PM
Instructor
I recommend checking out Eric Johnson's instructional video

He talks a lot about picking technique and various sounds you can get with your right hand.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Noangels
Nov 12 2008, 03:54 PM
Borrow any licks you like mate:)they must be about 5 years old by now so they have all evolved(for the better or worse is for the listener to decide)with my playing these days!

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
Oxac
Nov 12 2008, 04:05 PM
I have to say that Takayoshi can accentuate but not while playing fast. When he plays slow and want to get louder, heavier so to speak, he uses his wrist to pick that note... I like Syu's latex suite, he's awesome!

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
FrankW
Nov 13 2008, 06:35 PM
QUOTE (Noangels @ Nov 12 2008, 03:54 PM) *
Borrow any licks you like mate:)they must be about 5 years old by now so they have all evolved(for the better or worse is for the listener to decide)with my playing these days!

You're obviously quite a guitar player, man. I like your playing style. We may have a few philosophical differences, but I don't care about any of that... water under the bridge. I admire your playing, and I respect that. Keep up the good work, and do another video sometime...you're good. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Nov 13 2008, 06:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (berko @ Nov 8 2008, 06:14 AM) *

This is the answer I believe, elbow combined with wrist movements will give you speed and accuracy

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:47 AM