3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Lespaul Or Ibanez Jem?, Can´t descide
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 31 2007, 09:26 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (MickeM @ Oct 31 2007, 02:03 PM) *
It's a huge misunderstanding to think more output is better. What do you want huge output for, you got an amplifier, don't you? laugh.gif .

For drive - high output can be turned down, low output can;t be turned up, and if it isn't enough to drive your amp into distortion you need to get into boosters and such, so I say +1 for high output (as long as tone doesn't suffer!)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Oct 31 2007, 09:44 PM
Lets go fishing!
For me, a 24 Fret Gibson Les Paul would be my dream weapon of choice. Unfortunatly i cannot afford a custom shop so i would probably opt for an Ibanez. A long slim neck is a very important thing to me!! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Oct 31 2007, 11:07 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Oct 31 2007, 03:44 PM) *
For me, a 24 Fret Gibson Les Paul would be my dream weapon of choice. Unfortunatly i cannot afford a custom shop so i would probably opt for an Ibanez. A long slim neck is a very important thing to me!! smile.gif

+1

what about an Epihone Les Paul? (Should we open a new thread to compare the Ephinoe LP and the Gibson LP?)

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 1 2007, 12:12 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Oct 31 2007, 09:26 PM) *
For drive - high output can be turned down, low output can;t be turned up, and if it isn't enough to drive your amp into distortion you need to get into boosters and such, so I say +1 for high output (as long as tone doesn't suffer!)

But still, I stick to that it doesn't mean it's "better".

Say you for example have a pickup (not the Evolution's, ok) with a high output in which the winding is too lose all it will do it squeal. I wouldn't call that better just because they are high output. You made a reservation for tone there, clever. wink.gif

Btw I think Yngwies tone is brilliant, with pickups that have almost no output what so ever. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 1 2007, 12:25 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Oct 31 2007, 07:12 PM) *
But still, I stick to that it doesn't mean it's "better".

Say you for example have a pickup (not the Evolution's, ok) with a high output in which the winding is too lose all it will do it squeal. I wouldn't call that better just because they are high output. You made a reservation for tone there, clever. wink.gif

Btw I think Yngwies tone is brilliant, with pickups that have almost no output what so ever. cool.gif

Ok, lets compromise - high output can be desirable under certain circumstances for certain types of tone with certain amplifiers wink.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 1 2007, 12:40 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Nov 1 2007, 12:25 AM) *
Ok, lets compromise - high output can be desirable under certain circumstances for certain types of tone with certain amplifiers wink.gif

Deal! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 1 2007, 01:27 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Oct 31 2007, 07:40 PM) *
Deal! wink.gif

laugh.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
TheReturnFC-Iban...
Nov 1 2007, 11:06 AM
GMC:er
O! Brave new guitar....

^^

I wish i could see combination of Gibson LP & Gem one day...

And surely... i will buy that one for SURE!!!!

They both are awesome...

+Quote Post
Goliath
Nov 1 2007, 08:58 PM
Just buy a JEM20th and make everybody jealous.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Nov 1 2007, 09:13 PM
For me it would be the Jem hands down cause im more into the metal.But even that aside the Ibanez is more versatile than the les paul imo smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Gilmore
Nov 2 2007, 08:50 PM
Yngwie uses DOD preamp overdrive pedeal to boost the output, because of low output pickups. But you get single coil pure tone with the extra low output without the buzz on regular single coils.

I´m very interested in the Malmsteen signature strat also. Mabye I buy the LP and and YJM strat. Yngwie´s strat goes for about 1200$, and that is not a high price for a guitar like that.

To bad that i can´t try out any of these guitars where i live. The music stores only has those high priced guitars for special orders.

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.

+Quote Post
Maximus
Nov 6 2007, 01:10 PM
I just don't understand the tension between the Les Paul vs Fender Strat vs Jem camps. Every forum you go to has people drooling over one and flaming the rest. The simple fact is that these guitars are really awesome pieces of craftsmanship with pluses and minusus on all sides. The Les Paul is a classic axe with a huge presence in music history. Same with the Strat. The Ibanez is just an awesome chunk of wood with a neck that really has no equal. If you are a musician, and one who really appreciates the history and the diversity of their craft, I don't see how you can have an aversion to any one of these tools. If I had my choice I would have one of each and I would have a smile on my face from sun up until sun down. Just my 2 cents.

--------------------

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Ibanez rg 750, Ibanez Mikro, Washburn Acoustic
Amps: Crate GX 1600 1/2 Stack, Line 6 Spider 2, Vintage Kustom Tube Head
Effects: Line 6 POD X3 Live, Line 6 PocketPod
Misc: Line 6 FBV Express Foot Switch/Volume/Wah-Wah Pedal

+Quote Post
shammy
Nov 6 2007, 02:57 PM
LoL, if Kevin-riff-after-riff is just busting balls, he is one funny mf'er

This post has been edited by shammy: Nov 6 2007, 02:58 PM

+Quote Post
Pavel
Nov 6 2007, 08:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Goliath @ Nov 1 2007, 08:58 PM) *
Just buy a JEM20th and make everybody jealous.

laugh.gif Honestly? I wouldn't buy it even if i had the money. It's around 4000$ but you can get much better guitar for that price.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 6 2007, 08:05 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
The JEM 20th is geared towards collectors, not the average guitar player. And i say go for a Jem, playing on the neck is awesome, your vibrato feels like its on a stick of butter smile.gif

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Nov 6 2007, 08:05 PM

+Quote Post
Spiderusalem
Nov 6 2007, 08:14 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Nov 6 2007, 11:05 AM) *
The JEM 20th is geared towards collectors, not the average guitar player. And i say go for a Jem, playing on the neck is awesome, your vibrato feels like its on a stick of butter smile.gif

Now I'm gonna go vibrato over a stick of butter to see what its like to play a jem. wink.gif

--------------------
Equipment: Classical/Jazz hybrid guitar. blunt/black humor.

Success is the best revenge.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Nov 6 2007, 08:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Spiderusalem @ Nov 6 2007, 08:14 PM) *
Now I'm gonna go vibrato over a stick of butter to see what its like to play a jem. wink.gif

Hahahaha my God, let me know about the results of the experiment laugh.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Goliath
Nov 6 2007, 09:23 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Nov 6 2007, 08:03 PM) *
laugh.gif Honestly? I wouldn't buy it even if i had the money. It's around 4000$ but you can get much better guitar for that price.

It's 5k in the US!

Yeah Pavel, but if you pull up on the tone knob on other guitars, will the body light up? HUH!?! yeah didn't think so.

Now if you set it up with a couple laser pointers at the tips of the tuning pegs that woudl go off when the LED's were on, you'd have your own laser lights show!

Yes, I'm kidding, i recognize it's overpriced, but a see-thru guitar is still pretty awesome, just not for 5k tongue.gif

While we're on the topic of JEM's, why is the black one 100$ less than the white one?

Personally I prefer the look of the white one, but don't understand why the black one would be cheaper...

This post has been edited by Goliath: Nov 6 2007, 11:35 PM

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 6 2007, 10:01 PM
QUOTE (Maximus @ Nov 6 2007, 07:10 AM) *
I just don't understand the tension between the Les Paul vs Fender Strat vs Jem camps. Every forum you go to has people drooling over one and flaming the rest. The simple fact is that these guitars are really awesome pieces of craftsmanship with pluses and minusus on all sides. The Les Paul is a classic axe with a huge presence in music history. Same with the Strat. The Ibanez is just an awesome chunk of wood with a neck that really has no equal. If you are a musician, and one who really appreciates the history and the diversity of their craft, I don't see how you can have an aversion to any one of these tools. If I had my choice I would have one of each and I would have a smile on my face from sun up until sun down. Just my 2 cents.

+1 - Great good sense there! I NEED all 3 (have the strat and the Jem already) since they are good for different things. Of all of them, the Jem is the closest to being an all rounder, but it has a less distinctive sound than either of the other 2.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Spiderusalem
Nov 7 2007, 04:54 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Nov 6 2007, 11:37 AM) *
Hahahaha my God, let me know about the results of the experiment laugh.gif

The results were inconclusive....

apparently, playing a jem is uncomfortable and a bit sticky, but it does make your fingers taste really good.

--------------------
Equipment: Classical/Jazz hybrid guitar. blunt/black humor.

Success is the best revenge.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:22 AM