I'm A Wiring Junkie! Tip For Those Who Dare..., Schematic inside..
Interest?
Are you interested to try this?
Yes! I can't wait to heat up that iron and start soldering! [ 6 ] ** [60.00%]
Well, maybe if I swap pups some day... [ 4 ] ** [40.00%]
Nah, I don't think this is for me. [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
What? Who needs more than one tone... Bah, booooring...! [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 10
Guests cannot vote 
ztevie
Dec 18 2008, 11:18 PM
GMC:er
Sometimes you feel that your guitar plays nice and all, but it's boring to play... When you plug it in, you can never find a really nice tone with your amp, pod or whatever...
Well the solution is here: An easy way to bring new life to a guitar is changing pickups.
But beware.. You will become a wiring junkie, always on the look out for new pickups, and an improved tone...

But this is not why I made this thread in the first place. I get carried away here, sorry... ohmy.gif

If you swap pickups, you need to wire 'em in, right? So why not do a coil swap split mode!? It's not much more work to it if you're soldering pickups anyway.. A few more solder points, that's it..
So, you ask yourself, in disbelief. "Why should I bother, I don't need a cail swop spit mode, or what ever that name was?"
You may not know it yet, but sure you need it... cool.gif

Imagine this:
You have a 2 humbucker guitar with a 3-way switch and 2 controls(1 volume+1 tone, or as me, 2 volumes). You can choose 3 different settings with the switch. Bridge, bridge+neck, neck.. Enough for you? OK, stop reading this and go back practicing yer Muris-lesson!

For you still here, this is how it's done: Change the 2 pots for 2 push-pull pots, do the coil-swap-split mod when you solder, and you will have 9 different settings in your axe... You can keep the 3-way switch, you don't need additional switches, and you don't need to carve or route anything in your guitar... You could say, this mod give you 3 options in each of the 3 positions of switch: 1) Use normal humbuckers, 2) Split the humbuckers to singlecoil mode 3) Add 2 virtual hum-canceling humbuckers

THATS RIGHT! This mod gives you 2 extra humbuckers!! (Ok, they're virtual, but they function excactly like humbuckers. 2 coils, humcanceling, in phase and everything...) Aint life sweet?

So, this is what you will get:

Both push-pull down, 3 switchpositions:
1. Bridge humbucker (hum canceling)
2. Bridge humbucker in parallel with neck humbucker (hum canceling)
3. Neck humbucker (hum canceling)
(This is the normal operation for a 2 humbucker guitar, without push-pulls or other switches)

Neck push-pull up, (bridge push-pull doesn't matter her, since the neck push-pull is "master"), 3 switchpositions:
1. Bridge stud coil (not hum canceling)
2. Bridge stud coil in parallel with neck stud coil (not hum canceling)
3. Neck stud coil (not hum canceling)
(This is the normal operation for a 2 humbucker guitar, with 2 push-pulls that splits the humbuckers)

Bridge push-pull up, neck's down, 3 switchpositions:
1. Bridge stud in series with Neck screw coil (hum canceling)
2. (Bridge stud in series with Neck screw coil) in parallel with (neck stud coil in series with bridge screw coil) (hum canceling)
3. Neck stud coil in series with bridge screw coil (hum canceling)
(Now this is where the magic comes in! You split the humbuckers as in the above, but, you can swap the coil and put them in series with the other humbucker's swapped coil, and vice versa)

The best result you will get if you have 2 different types of humbuckers in bridge and neck, for example a ceramic magnet in one, and a Alnico in the other...
I tried this with a Duncan Full Shred set, so both buckers are of the "same type", but still I get some different tones to play with...
I found this mod over at the Duncan forum, but had to make my own schematic, which includes, a 3-way miniswitch, 2 volumes and no tone... You can do this mod if you have 1 volume and 1 tone too. Or if you have additional tones or volumes you can do this and more things, but then we're just confusing our brains.. THere are other schematics to be found, if your setup is different. Of course you need to consider wire colors if the pickups are not Duncans... And if you have 2 different brands of pickups, you need to check polarity and wiring direction for hum-canceling to work as it should...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ztevie: Dec 19 2008, 02:55 AM

--------------------
Gear:
* Vigier Shawn Lane Master, Bridge Bareknuckle Nailbomb, Middle DiMarzio FS-1, Neck Bareknuckle Cold Sweat
* Padalka Custom Space-6, Bareknuckle Juggernaut set
* Ztevie's Blue, Custom Handbuilt by Rek Guitars, Seymour Duncan Full Shred humbucker set
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic
* Fractal Audio Axe FX II XL+

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 18 2008, 11:54 PM
Instructor
That's a great and really informative article man, thanks for sharing with us. I was always asking myself how to wire these things, and now I have the answer. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
ztevie
Dec 19 2008, 12:00 AM
Yeah, you don't have to sacrifice something else to get more options... Well, a few dollars if you don't have the push-pull of course.
I still have my normal humbucker and split mode... It's nice! Can never get too many tonal alternatives... wink.gif

--------------------
Gear:
* Vigier Shawn Lane Master, Bridge Bareknuckle Nailbomb, Middle DiMarzio FS-1, Neck Bareknuckle Cold Sweat
* Padalka Custom Space-6, Bareknuckle Juggernaut set
* Ztevie's Blue, Custom Handbuilt by Rek Guitars, Seymour Duncan Full Shred humbucker set
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic
* Fractal Audio Axe FX II XL+

+Quote Post
PanicProne
Dec 19 2008, 12:08 AM
cool stuff man! I just got a new pickguard home so I'm gonna change pickups on my own for the first time ever tomorrow!! So probably I'll be nagging you about it whatever the result ends up to be. But first of all I need to pratice soldering a bit and get that nasty bridge singlecoil replaced with a humbucker.

+Quote Post
unmarshal'
Dec 19 2008, 03:47 AM
Nice post. I just put some nice lace sensors in this mustang of mine. It was simple. Next mod I'm going to install a kill switch.

--------------------
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul 2008 Standard,
Fender 52 RI Telecaster,
Schecter Hellraiser C1 FR,
Fender CIJ Mustang,
Taylor 714CE

Amps:
Fender Deluxe Reverb (not vintage)
PodXT

Wishlist (next purchases):
Orange Tiny Terror
Rickenbacker 330 possibly 12 string version

I dig the jangle

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 19 2008, 10:04 PM
Instructor
Great post !
Very useful and informative , thank you for that smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:02 PM