2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Best Metal Drummer
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 10 2011, 08:22 PM
Instructor
Hey guys! I found this article where Chris Adler by Lamb of God has been chosen as the best metal drummer.

http://gunshyassassin.com/news/lamb-of-god...-metal-drummer/

This elections are always very subjective however I wonder if you agree with this... if not... what would be your choice.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 10 2011, 09:23 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Not even close, not to downplay his skill.

Like you said its all objective - My opinions however....

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jul 10 2011, 09:52 PM
Instructor
So, what does it mean the best ?? The fastest, strongest, most accurate, most beautiful!?
All these top lists of the best musicians are in most cases pretentious, IMO !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Jul 10 2011, 10:36 PM
GMC:er
My older brother is the best drummer! tongue.gif

I have to say I don't like these kind of best musician thingies, since all drummers have their strengths and weaknesses... But I could list a few good drummers, some more technical advanced than Chris Adler, faster, etc, but I have to say I do like Chris Adlers sound, especially hes double bass, it has a really tight sound, still I don't think hes the best metal drummer, I don't think that any metal drummer is the best...

But of course my brother is the best wink.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 10 2011, 11:13 PM
Instructor
One time it's this drummer, another time it's this drummer. Not sure, but I don't think there is the best. Adler is indeed one of the most famous, and a killer drummer, but best...

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 11 2011, 12:26 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Jul 10 2011, 05:52 PM) *
So, what does it mean the best ?? The fastest, strongest, most accurate, most beautiful!?
All these top lists of the best musicians are in most cases pretentious, IMO !

the most beautiful!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Qenzoz @ Jul 10 2011, 06:36 PM) *
My older brother is the best drummer! tongue.gif

I have to say I don't like these kind of best musician thingies, since all drummers have their strengths and weaknesses... But I could list a few good drummers, some more technical advanced than Chris Adler, faster, etc, but I have to say I do like Chris Adlers sound, especially hes double bass, it has a really tight sound, still I don't think hes the best metal drummer, I don't think that any metal drummer is the best...

But of course my brother is the best wink.gif laugh.gif

so you'll have to post a link of your brother playing drums!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jul 11 2011, 12:35 AM
Few months ago i saw Slayer, didn't like much :c not a big fan of Slayer to be honest but dam Dave Lombardo is a freaking beast!

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
rokchik
Jul 11 2011, 01:16 AM
The Dark Canuck
I'm not a fan of "best" lists to be honest. As you said Gabriel they are pretty subjective. In saying that though they can be rather amusing and are certainly discussion starters.

As for Adler being Best Metal Drummer... well it appears to be a readers poll so he's at least well liked. Not sure about the best though, depends I guess on what criteria they set out. He is a darn good drummer...

rok

+Quote Post
noztnac
Jul 11 2011, 01:26 AM
It's hard to name a "best" drummer but my favorite metal drummer is Gar Samuelson-- the original Megadeth Drummer.

Scott Travis- Racer X would have to be up there too.

Dave Lombardo- Slayer

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 11 2011, 01:32 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jul 10 2011, 08:35 PM) *
Few months ago i saw Slayer, didn't like much :c not a big fan of Slayer to be honest but dam Dave Lombardo is a freaking beast!

yes, he is!

QUOTE (rokchik @ Jul 10 2011, 09:16 PM) *
I'm not a fan of "best" lists to be honest. As you said Gabriel they are pretty subjective. In saying that though they can be rather amusing and are certainly discussion starters.

As for Adler being Best Metal Drummer... well it appears to be a readers poll so he's at least well liked. Not sure about the best though, depends I guess on what criteria they set out. He is a darn good drummer...

rok

yeah, you're right Rok.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
noztnac
Jul 11 2011, 01:38 AM
Not sure if the Mars Volta counts as metal but Thomas Pridgen is a beast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYIxdxmr4J0

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jul 11 2011, 02:05 AM
Instructor
according to the guys in Dream Theater, Mike Mangini is the best tongue.gif

I like Opeth's drummer Ax

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 11 2011, 05:05 PM
Instructor
Well, I also dislike the endless classifications but, there's a bunch of people that mastered their instrument of choice and can make good music with its help and transmit an awesome vibe tongue.gif this is how i'd like to look at things smile.gif

My favorite drummer...definitely Morgan Rose from Sevendust and Soilwork's drummer biggrin.gif that dude is totally insane, no to forget about Meshuggah's drummer or the awesome Mr. Mangini biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jul 11 2011, 05:49 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Seeing how being the best is totally subjective, its kinda pointless having this argument. However, everyone has their favorite. My top three favorite metal drummers are, in no particular order:

Lars Ulrich (Metallica)
Dave Lombardo (Slayer)
Bill Ward (Black Sabbath)

Yes, Lars Ulrich. The fact that he's an enormous ass doesn't affect my perception of his playing one bit. He may not be super-technical, but he is still a fantastic drummer. I have yet to hear another drummer tie their drum beats to a riff and transitions as well as Lars. In fact I'd dare to say that his drumming is the foundation of Metallicas music, without it, James would be lost.

Dave Lombardo in my mind is the king of the double bass, simply because he knows how to properly apply it. And as MonkeyD said, he's a beast biggrin.gif There are more proficient double bass players out there, but none make the double bass as groovy as Dave.

What I like about Bill Ward is the fact that he is not a time keeper. On every song he goes out and does his own thing. Like Lars, he ties his playing to the feel of the riff and the song. His drumming really stands out on every song.

Like I said, these are just my opinions. Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 11 2011, 06:25 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Also, I must mention another favorite drummer of mine, George Kollias.

First, for impeccable and near flawless technique.

Secondly, for extremely awesome, groovy, and memorable patterns. This whole song has so much cool stuff in it, not even technical stuff, just creative drumming.

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jul 24 2011, 02:25 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I don't care who the best drummer is, as long as it's Nicko McBrain tongue.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 24 2011, 06:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Jul 23 2011, 10:25 PM) *
I don't care who the best drummer is, as long as it's Nicko McBrain tongue.gif

Attached Image

Nicko! I'm proud of having a pic with him! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 24 2011, 09:52 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (noztnac @ Jul 11 2011, 01:26 AM) *
It's hard to name a "best" drummer but my favorite metal drummer is Gar Samuelson-- the original Megadeth Drummer.

Yep ! cool.gif

If anyone's in any doubt, listen to the Killing is my Business album... it's not just about technical ability (which he had) but the swing, the tempo, the fills, the tone... all the best drummers had a relaxed tightness. I hear the same thing from Simon Phillips on Judas Priest's Sin After Sin album.. the drumming reminds me very much of Gar.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 24 2011, 04:57 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I was just listening to Iron Maiden and thinking how cool the Nicko's grooves are! I would nominate him for most "fun to listen" drummer in metal.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 5 2011, 10:56 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 24 2011, 07:29 AM) *
Nicko! I'm proud of having a pic with him! smile.gif

You have??? Wow, lucky biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:24 PM