Tuning A Floyd Rose Tremelo?, Need help
ibfuelish
Sep 6 2007, 05:42 AM
GMC:er
Hey Guys,

My son (13yearold) has an Ibanez with a Floyd Rose style tremolo and locking nut.

I've not had anybody explain to me the most EFFICIENT way of tuning this guitar.

Where we bought it the tech person there just said "once it's set, don't change it" well that's a load of you know what, 'cause as my 13 year old gets better at bending and such, the strings break in more and more and it needs to be tuned, but sooner or later the micro adjustment on the tremelo itself runs out of play and I have to release the locks on the nut to tune it. THAT'S WHERE THE TROUBLE STARTS.

I know that the tremelo needs to be flush or parallel with the body after the tuning is complete, but it seems that I get it real close to in tune and the tremelo isn't parallel or I get the tremelo parallel and some of the strings are way out of tune, so as I retune those the other strings go way out.

It seems like I'm chasing my tail on this thing!

Any clues?

Mike
Fresno, California

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Sep 6 2007, 05:50 AM
QUOTE (ibfuelish @ Sep 6 2007, 12:42 AM) *
Hey Guys,

My son (13yearold) has an Ibanez with a Floyd Rose style tremolo and locking nut.

I've not had anybody explain to me the most EFFICIENT way of tuning this guitar.

Where we bought it the tech person there just said "once it's set, don't change it" well that's a load of you know what, 'cause as my 13 year old gets better at bending and such, the strings break in more and more and it needs to be tuned, but sooner or later the micro adjustment on the tremelo itself runs out of play and I have to release the locks on the nut to tune it. THAT'S WHERE THE TROUBLE STARTS.

I know that the tremelo needs to be flush or parallel with the body after the tuning is complete, but it seems that I get it real close to in tune and the tremelo isn't parallel or I get the tremelo parallel and some of the strings are way out of tune, so as I retune those the other strings go way out.

It seems like I'm chasing my tail on this thing!

Any clues?

Mike
Fresno, California

laugh.gif Sorry
But what a pain we have all had with a floyd style bridge.All i can say is if it has been played for awhile and is now going back out of tune,take it to a shop and have it restringed and tuned.There that big of a hassle.As soon as you break one string or take all of them off at once the thing goes all to hell.It's such a great idea but yet a big failure to me due to the constant pain of adjustments and if you didnt get a Master's degree you probably cant set it yourself laugh.gif .There is some old posts aboutthis that may help you just look for them and im sure some other's will post.Sorry i couldnt really help just wanted to say we have all been there. wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
GroovinMastiff
Sep 6 2007, 06:05 AM
Hey there,
Try this site: Ibanez Tech

Everything I've learned about keeping my Ibanez in tune has come from reading the tech articles on this site, and once you get the hang of the whole Floyd rose set up procedure, it won't be such a pain anymore wink.gif

Hope this helps, and good luck smile.gif

--------------------
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
ibfuelish
Sep 6 2007, 06:54 AM
Thanks that site was a lot of help... a lot of work too, but I think I can get the hang of it.

I was actually doing a good bit of these tips, but some of the techniques I left out were sabotaging me.

Again,
Thanks
Mike

+Quote Post
Robin
Sep 6 2007, 07:24 AM
I dont see the problem. All you got to do is tune the guitar like 10 times and then all the strings should be in tune. When you tighten the low E string for instance, the rest of the strings get looser. Just tune the strings over and over till they all get in tune. Should just take a few minutes.

I hope I understood your question tongue.gif

+Quote Post
ibfuelish
Sep 6 2007, 12:58 PM
After reading the previous listed site, tuning it WAS fairly easy, but a little sarcasm should go into Robin's post as it only took about 8 times for me to get it right!!!! ;-)

+Quote Post
GroovinMastiff
Sep 6 2007, 03:02 PM
QUOTE (ibfuelish @ Sep 6 2007, 08:58 AM) *
After reading the previous listed site, tuning it WAS fairly easy, but a little sarcasm should go into Robin's post as it only took about 8 times for me to get it right!!!! ;-)

I'm glad the website helped, Floyd's are a lot of fun to play with once you get past all of their little nuances tongue.gif

--------------------
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
lost-jgs
Sep 9 2007, 06:42 PM
ive only done it a few times , but the way i find cuts out alot of time is hold the tremolo bar so the bridge is sitting where ud like it to be and tune the strings starting from the high strings

--------------------
Guitars : PRS Santana SE Stop Tail, Jackson RR3
Amps: Vox DA5 Amp , Vox AD30VT
Effects: Line 6 Dr. Distorto

+Quote Post
Pavel
Sep 9 2007, 09:34 PM
Instructor
You don't have to hold the bridge! It's not important. It is natural for it to go down once you loosen the strings. It will go back in place once you tighten the strings. BUT you should replace strings 1 by 1. I always start with low E string.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:03 AM