Right Shoulder
kaznie_NL
Nov 24 2008, 02:50 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Guys!

I had a pain in the wrist last time and after posting something about it I got wonderful responses. Now I've had a strain the right right shoulder for quit some time! it appears during sitting practice. It comes and goes quit fast. It happens when I play on the lower strings, so powerchords, long speedruns etc. etc. I doesn't feel like a pain in the ..bone? but more like a muscle cramping up. It feels a bit like holding your right arm in the picking position without a guitar for a while, you'll get a little strain!

Any help would be nice!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Iluha
Nov 24 2008, 02:53 PM
GMC:er
Try adjusting the way you hold the guitar when sitting, ussually making sure you'r sitting STRAIGHT and not bending over you'r guitar(I ofted do this nasty habit and get some shoulder pain too), should solve the pain.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Nov 24 2008, 03:07 PM
You could try sitting and playing your guitar the same way as classical guitarist do. Guitar between your legs instead of resting on it. This really changes the neck angle.

Question, does the pain happen if you a standing and playing?

tommyboy

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Nov 24 2008, 03:38 PM
Instructor
My suggestion is the same as Tommy Boy, on my lesson videos, you see me resting the guitar on the left leg, a little weird maybe at first, but I feel my right arm is more relaxed.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 24 2008, 03:42 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
As everybody said , try to find a more relaxed sitting position.Your muscle is cramping because you are not relaxing your right hand enough when playing and you're probably too tense on harder passages too (with right hand)...Try resting guitar on your left foot when sitting and generally pay attention to how much the right hand is tensed when playing.

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Nov 24 2008, 03:43 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 24 2008, 05:51 PM
Instructor
Sorry to hear it Kaz, looks like some posture analysis should be done. Sit straight with a guitar, close your eyes, and try to "feel" the playing position that you think it is not putting any strain at your muscles. Try to do this analysis for a half an hour or so, be patient. When you find the most suitable position, use it every time you practice. If you still get pain, do some more analysis of your movements and such with eyes closed (so you can better focus on the posture). If that doesn't help, consult a doctor. Not as an health issue or anything, just do to general medic, and talk him about it, see what he has to say. Medical opinion on such matters is always very useful.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Nov 25 2008, 06:07 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (tommyboy @ Nov 24 2008, 03:07 PM) *
You could try sitting and playing your guitar the same way as classical guitarist do. Guitar between your legs instead of resting on it. This really changes the neck angle.

Question, does the pain happen if you a standing and playing?

tommyboy

Not when standing no. And... I really really don't like playing in the classical way!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Nov 25 2008, 10:27 PM
Learning Roadie
i had a back problem not long ago.. (actually i still have, but the pains aren't there anymore because of changed posture and exercises for the back)

anyways.. when practicing on the guitar i now ALWAYS have the leg my guitar rests on up higher than the other.. this has helped me a whole lot as i am no longer bending down over the guitar anymore..

and i must say, the left leg was surprisingly pleasant to have the guitar on.. when you think about it, it doesn't sound like it would be pleasant but it really is..

or you can practice standing.. well.. you should anyways.. i find that the things i practice sitting, i cannot play standing.. and i guess it wont look that good if you just sit on a stool on stage to a gig.. wink.gif

so, overall, try to really notice how you are sitting, and how your posture is.. and try and make small changes.. its very important to be aware of these things..

good luck, i hope you find a solution..

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 25 2008, 10:32 PM
Instructor
Ooh, well if it is not there when you are standing, it is not some health issue, it's simply a matter of making your sitting posture good as well. Try to imitate standing posture while sitting, this could help Kaz.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 25 2008, 11:28 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Maybe a foot stool would help, that way you raise your right leg a bit and the overall posture is more straight.

Try to rest your picking arm on the guitar as well, if you put too much unneeded tension on picking arm your shoulder could hurt.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Nov 26 2008, 06:46 AM
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Nov 25 2008, 11:07 AM) *
Not when standing no. And... I really really don't like playing in the classical way!

I guess then the old saying goes "no pain no gain" laugh.gif Just Kidding, I agree with the others, try changing positions and see what works. By the way classical postion worked pretty well for Randy Rhoads.

QUOTE (-Zion- @ Nov 25 2008, 03:27 PM) *
or you can practice standing.. well.. you should anyways.. i find that the things i practice sitting, i cannot play standing.. and i guess it wont look that good if you just sit on a stool on stage to a gig.. ;)

I agree, sitting is the way I learn anything new, however, once I've got it down I always play standing. Gives me a chance to work on my ROCK STAR STATUS!! rolleyes.gif Don't I wish.

tommyboy

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Nov 26 2008, 02:26 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Yesterday I had no ache at all! I sat in a different chair (might help) and I had some fysio-woman brusing my arm wink.gif that helped I think wink.gif She also found there was something not right in my back.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Carlos Carrillo
Nov 26 2008, 02:43 PM
Instructor
Try to change the positions constant! Especially when you study! A very serious mistake is to support the left elbow on the waist!! This generates a high tencion on the right arm .. and simultaneously ... do not allow to develop to the maximum our techniques! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Nov 29 2008, 10:24 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Carlos Carrillo @ Nov 26 2008, 02:43 PM) *
Try to change the positions constant! Especially when you study! A very serious mistake is to support the left elbow on the waist!! This generates a high tencion on the right arm .. and simultaneously ... do not allow to develop to the maximum our techniques! wink.gif

Sorry, what's the waist? My english vocabulary must get a bit larger tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Dec 15 2008, 06:52 PM
Op je heup wink.gif

Je zou eens een osteopaat bij je in de buurt moeten opzoeken. Die kan dat oplossen voor je.

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.

+Quote Post
Mark.
Dec 15 2008, 07:05 PM
Ik heb er ook wel eens last van gehad, bij mij was gitaar in klassieke positie en je rug recht de oplossing.
Als je dan toch klassiek gaat zitten is het handig om een voetebankje te kope (kost maar 7 euro ofzo) zodat je nog beter recht op gaat zitten. 't ziet er misschien wel niet zo cool uit maar je gaat er zkr beter van spelen en is beter voor je rug, schouders etc

Als je dan toch op je rechter knie wil houden moet je ook goed rechtop zitten maar toch blijf je dan altijd je rechter schouder een beetje omhoog tillen als je snel aanslaat enzo. Waardoor je schouder kan verkrampen en je er last van gaat krijgen.

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Dec 15 2008, 07:46 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Mark. @ Dec 15 2008, 01:05 PM) *
Ik heb er ook wel eens last van gehad, bij mij was gitaar in klassieke positie en je rug recht de oplossing.
Als je dan toch klassiek gaat zitten is het handig om een voetebankje te kope (kost maar 7 euro ofzo) zodat je nog beter recht op gaat zitten. 't ziet er misschien wel niet zo cool uit maar je gaat er zkr beter van spelen en is beter voor je rug, schouders etc

Als je dan toch op je rechter knie wil houden moet je ook goed rechtop zitten maar toch blijf je dan altijd je rechter schouder een beetje omhoog tillen als je snel aanslaat enzo. Waardoor je schouder kan verkrampen en je er last van gaat krijgen.

Exactly. unsure.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
Mark.
Dec 15 2008, 07:48 PM
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Dec 15 2008, 07:46 PM) *
Exactly. unsure.gif

laugh.gif Do I really have to translate it tongue.gif?

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Dec 15 2008, 07:52 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks for the replies! I still have troubles with it! When I get the pain and stop playing, but keeping my hand on the same place, it still goes on aching!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 15 2008, 10:33 PM
Instructor
Sorry to hear it Kaz, I hope you will work out that problem mate. Just take it easy and don't push to hard. As soon as you experience pain, stop and rest, and massage the hand a bit.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:58 AM