Amp Questions
brandon
Mar 20 2007, 05:21 PM
GMC:er
Well, I've decided resently that I am done with Marshall. I've been looking into getting something with a little more of that dirty rock n roll sound (ie-Pete Townsend). I've been thinking of going with either a Hiwatt or Orange. Unfortunitely I don't know much about the two companies and which models are the "good ones". I've definitely heard some that sounded amazing though. I know the Hiwatt Custom 100/DR 103 sounds amazing. I've read that the custom series is all handwired, so I'm assuming the 50 watt version is still a really loud amp. I've also seen that the 20 watt is class A, so that's probably as loud as a 50 watt marshall. If anyone has any insight or suggestions on this please share them. Also, I know nothing about orange, so any model suggestions for orange would be highly appreciated. I need something that would be good for playing shows and would definitely stand on it's own without being mic'd up.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 20 2007, 06:41 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (brandon @ Mar 20 2007, 05:21 PM) *
Well, I've decided resently that I am done with Marshall. I've been looking into getting something with a little more of that dirty rock n roll sound (ie-Pete Townsend).

As ironic as it may sound Marshall has a model 1959 which is Pete Townsend all the way.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
brandon
Mar 21 2007, 08:06 PM
GMC:er
yeah, i used to have a '73 marshall plexi super lead (still handwired) and I know the new 1959's are the same schimatics and they handwire them again. the amp sounded amazing, but only if you cranked it up. i even tried a power brake , but it seemed to kill the tone some. so i eventually sold it to a friend. i would like something with the same tone, but more crunch....and can crank it so loud it will destroy people's brains, but can also be played at a decent volume where i'm not drowning everyone out.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 21 2007, 11:00 PM
Had the same problem with my JCM800, had to be cranked up like you say. I sold it a couple of weeks ago. Am perfectly satisfied with my Hughes & Kettner Switchblade though it doesn't produce the Marshall tone exactly. You can get a crunchy rock tone but not 100% Marshall "brown", still I think it's better.. with the volume at 1. rolleyes.gif
But I got it for it's versatility really, I got it both american and british with this one.

Never heard any Hiwatt amps, can't help you there. Never played any Orange amps either for that matter except for the Tiny Terror but I was not impressed. People keep praising it, I know, but it didn't cut it for me. And the 15W is far from enough for you on stage of course.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 22 2007, 12:27 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (MickeM @ Mar 21 2007, 06:00 PM) *
And the 15W is far from enough for you on stage of course.

Hey MikeM, since you are the Amp guy smile.gif I'm curious - I've always used PAs. How much is enough for an amp on stage ? Of course it varies by the size of the venue, but in your experience how much power do you need for say small medium and large?

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Mar 22 2007, 12:29 AM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Tank
Mar 22 2007, 10:53 AM
GMC Veteran
QUOTE (brandon @ Mar 20 2007, 06:21 PM) *
I've been thinking of going with either a Hiwatt or Orange. Unfortunitely I don't know much about the two companies and which models are the "good ones".

Orange are not what they used to be. A guy who practises in our studio has an original orange head, and it's brilliant. He has a sound similar to Queens of the Stone Age, and it suits perfectly.
The newer Orange amps are mass produced, and while they are decent mid range amps, they aren't their former glory. And looking for an original Orange amp, is usually like looking for the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

If you're looking for the original Orange sound, I would suggest looking at a company called MATAMP. They are the guys who used to make the original oranges, but are still producing a similar product, hand wired, point to point, under a different name.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 22 2007, 01:09 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Mar 22 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Hey MikeM, since you are the Amp guy smile.gif I'm curious - I've always used PAs. How much is enough for an amp on stage ? Of course it varies by the size of the venue, but in your experience how much power do you need for say small medium and large?

"ampguy" laugh.gif

To keep it simple
Small 30W
Medium 50W
Large 100W

Of course you can play a small gig on a 50W or medium gigs at a 100W if it can only manage to sound good at low levels. My experience is that not many does so 100W in a small club is to over do things. However, I happened to find a 100W head that sounds great even at 1. A 100W Marshall wouldn't let you play a small gig with the volume knob set to 4. It will sound like shit. I've heard modern 100W amps that blows your mind even at bedroom levels, so if you find one of those (hint: it's not Marshall) I don't see why you shouldn't get one of those which you can use at any gig size... which is a defensive position from my side sice I got myself a 100W head but it wasn't available in 50W, if it had been I had got the 50W instead.
So one could say I've been surprised lately of what those new 100Watters can manage even while running at 20-30W only (menaing low volume, not a wattage switch)

And even more important than getting the correct Wattage for gigs is that you should always go for 12" speakers. For a combo 2x12 is just great. Forget about 10" or smaller!
If you get a 4x12" cabinet, even better. You can also run a cabinet from a combo that has a connector for external speakers, not all does, but you're not forced to use a head.

Anyway, I don't think one should overdo things. The advantage of using a 30W amp at a small gig instead of a 100W is that when you push it so hard cranked up you'll hear how it will like gasp for air when overdriven. A sweet sound indeed. cool.gif

So, in general, most people would manage with a 30W amp, a 50W and you're covered for the rest of your life. If you become a huge rock star, go get a 100W head laugh.gif

This post has been edited by MickeM: Mar 22 2007, 01:14 PM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 22 2007, 02:45 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (MickeM @ Mar 22 2007, 08:09 AM) *
"ampguy" laugh.gif

To keep it simple
Small 30W
Medium 50W
Large 100W

Of course you can play a small gig on a 50W or medium gigs at a 100W if it can only manage to sound good at low levels. My experience is that not many does so 100W in a small club is to over do things. However, I happened to find a 100W head that sounds great even at 1. A 100W Marshall wouldn't let you play a small gig with the volume knob set to 4. It will sound like shit. I've heard modern 100W amps that blows your mind even at bedroom levels, so if you find one of those (hint: it's not Marshall) I don't see why you shouldn't get one of those which you can use at any gig size... which is a defensive position from my side sice I got myself a 100W head but it wasn't available in 50W, if it had been I had got the 50W instead.
So one could say I've been surprised lately of what those new 100Watters can manage even while running at 20-30W only (menaing low volume, not a wattage switch)

And even more important than getting the correct Wattage for gigs is that you should always go for 12" speakers. For a combo 2x12 is just great. Forget about 10" or smaller!
If you get a 4x12" cabinet, even better. You can also run a cabinet from a combo that has a connector for external speakers, not all does, but you're not forced to use a head.

Anyway, I don't think one should overdo things. The advantage of using a 30W amp at a small gig instead of a 100W is that when you push it so hard cranked up you'll hear how it will like gasp for air when overdriven. A sweet sound indeed. cool.gif

So, in general, most people would manage with a 30W amp, a 50W and you're covered for the rest of your life. If you become a huge rock star, go get a 100W head laugh.gif

Hey thanks - very interesting. You're almost convincing me I should get a tube amp for live gigs laugh.gif I could use the pod for recording, but play live through the amp and just turn off all the modeling to still benefit from the variax guitar patch switching and the effects (I know, next you're gonna tell me that all of the modeled effects sound plasticky and that real ones are far better laugh.gif)

And yes, you are the ampguy - you always post on amp related threads and know a lot about the subject smile.gif I'm not gonna hijack this thread any further, but I might have some amp questions for you in a few months when I start looking for an Amp in earnest.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 22 2007, 03:05 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Mar 22 2007, 02:45 PM) *
I know, next you're gonna tell me that all of the modeled effects sound plasticky and that real ones are far better laugh.gif)

I see I'm becoming predictable laugh.gif ...so I better say nothing further wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:07 PM