Lick Of The Day - Uploads Only!
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 9 2008, 09:44 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Ok, add your entries here!

You have until the 23rd of February to submit your lick.

Any non entry posts will be moved to the comments thread.

Prizes: Boss Metal Zone, Web Camera, 3 sets of Ernie Ball Strings. Read more here.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Reason for edit: link inserted

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Xranthoius
Feb 9 2008, 11:37 PM
GMC:er
Here's my take. First one done yay! I have a second lick in mind since you said we could do 2, so I might do that one as well.

Short and sweet. wink.gif

Here is the tab for the riff:

Make Sure

1. Palm mute everything on the low E string except the power chord at the start of the riff.
2. Use alternate picking on this riff for maximum speed.
3. Take it slow at first.
4. CRANK UP THE DISTORTION!!! wink.gif

I also attatched a simple backing track with the riff on in a guitar pro 5 file.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Xranthoius: Feb 15 2008, 03:08 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  08020901.mpg ( 12.5MB ) Number of downloads: 913
Attached File  Metal_Riff.gp5 ( 3.78K ) Number of downloads: 261

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Feb 12 2008, 02:15 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi there,

Here is my lick.

So we have the C major chord C E G and we add the 7th grade of the C major scale which in this case is a b. So our arepggio now is C E G B. And the idea is that we are going to sweep this arpeggio with a couple of hammer ons and pull offs and a tapping note in the B string, as shown in the tabs.

I also made a guitar pro file if you want to practice the lick with the metronome.

Enjoy and vote for Coffeeman!
Attached File  Lick_of_the_day_coffeeman.gp5 ( 1.65K ) Number of downloads: 313

[attachment=4475:Cmaj_7th...eg1video.mpg]

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Feb 16 2008, 03:15 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Heres my entry for Lick of the day smile.gif

A legato run with some tapping accross 5 strings, Based on the C major scale.

You can get some great effects with legato also a great way to increase finger strength and accuracy, here we are only picking two notes, the very first note to start us off and ending with a pick on the last note to give some accent and phrasing to the lick.

Here is the tab for the lick.

Attached Image

And heres the Video

Attached File  Lick_of_the_day_Comp_entry___smells.wmv ( 3.43MB ) Number of downloads: 644

As with all licks we can move this around so I`ve made a small exercise with the lick shown in the video starting in the Key of C and moving to the Key of E and back to C again.

[attachment=4560:LOTD_Exercise.mp3]

Tab for the exercise

this is played 4 times:

Attached Image

this is played twice :

Attached Image

Then returning to the first lick played twice again to finish.

Here are 3 backings at various speeds if you wish to try it out.

[attachment=4562:LickOTD_...g_130BPM.mp3]

[attachment=4563:LickOTD_...g_110BPM.mp3]

[attachment=4564:LickOTD_...ng_90BPM.mp3]

Hope you enjoyed my lick and have some fun with the backings

All the best

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
TortillaShred
Feb 21 2008, 07:05 AM
Well, here's my entry for the contest. It's a little solo I made up for my band. I sped it tho, because of the time limit issue. I hope you guys like it.

Well, first of all, it is kind of a pop-techno solo in the key of Gm. I'm providing you guys with backing tracks at three different tempos (100 BPM, 130 BPM, and 150 BPM). The original solo's speed is 150 BPM.

I'm also providing a normal notepad tab and a GP5 tab. All the instruments are in there, so you can actually practice the solo at any speed you want wink.gif

The first part is a simple octaves-build up for the solo. No great things in there, tho, as always when playing octaves, you got to make sure that only the strings you're playing are the ones that are heard (in this specific case, the A string is supposed to be completely silenced). You get that effect by muting the string with your ring finger or with your index finger (the way I do it: ring finger).

The second part is an easy three-note pattern with a bend at the end. The key here is a very nice and well-timed vibrato... You know... It should feel and sound really fluid.

The interesting lick of the video comes into the third part. Here, the secret is a combination between tapping and left-hand VERY VERY strong vibrato. The tapping should be perfect, because sometimes you hit the tap note but when you make the vibrato, the note dies. That happens when the note was not tapped correctly.

At the last part, it's just normal tapping, tho the last bend should be made very clear in order to apply, again, some cool vibrato.

Well, that's about it. It's a begginer solo with a couple of licks in it, and summarizing, the techniques to apply and develop here are:

1 - Octaves
2 - Bending w/vibrato
3 - Strong AND precise vibrato
4 - Tapping

Hope you guys like it! cool.gif

This post has been edited by TortillaShred: Feb 21 2008, 08:26 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Tal_Vez_Tab.txt ( 1.99K ) Number of downloads: 258
Attached File  Tal_Vez_Solo.gp5 ( 6.76K ) Number of downloads: 224
Attached File  Tal_Vez_Solo_100_BPM.mid ( 11.18K ) Number of downloads: 208
Attached File  Tal_Vez_Solo_130_BPM.mid ( 9.73K ) Number of downloads: 199
Attached File  Tal_Vez_Solo_150_BPM.mid ( 9.09K ) Number of downloads: 216
Attached File  Tal_Vez_Solo.mpg ( 4.72MB ) Number of downloads: 410

--------------------
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Classic
Epiphone Sg Special (with EMG 81/85 set and custom pickguard)

Zoom 606 II multieffect pedal
Boss Gt-8 multieffect pedal

Vox Ad50vt amplifier

Washburn D100 acoustic guitar
Squier acoustic guitar

+Quote Post
superize
Feb 21 2008, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Here is my lick

Attached File  Lick_of_the_day.mp3 ( 504.55K ) Number of downloads: 447

Attached File  lick_of_the_day.gp5 ( 1.98K ) Number of downloads: 236

Attached File  lick_of_the_day.pdf ( 76.19K ) Number of downloads: 392

A little trahs metal lick

Tuning: Drop D
Time signature: 4/4
Speed: 130bpm

When you play this lick

Use alternate picking and mute everythning but the power chords
Play it in Drop D tuning
Use a crunchy sound to get the best of the lick
Its not a hard lick but start out slow if make sure you got the rythm right and then it shouldnt be a problem
Have fun learning this lick

This post has been edited by superize: Feb 21 2008, 05:01 PM

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
axelsson
Feb 21 2008, 04:30 PM
So this is my lick, it's a quite difficult string skipping lick...well at least for me to play really clean. I was inspired by
Mr Paul Gilbert when I "composed" it and I hope you'll like it. It's In the key of C Ionian.

Attached File  lick_of_the_day_competition.mp3 ( 469.05K ) Number of downloads: 426
The LICK!

Attached File  c_ionian.bmp ( 1.88MB ) Number of downloads: 332
C Ionian 9th position

Attached File  tab_lick.bmp ( 1.88MB ) Number of downloads: 326
The tab

And that's about it! smile.gif

Okay, so what to think of when you play it.
*Be sure to palm mute the strings above those that you are playing.
*Add much vibrato in the last slow part!
*Don't play it with to much distortion.
*Enjoy!

+Quote Post
wrk
Feb 21 2008, 08:40 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Here my first entry for the "Lick Of The Day" Video Competition:

Cmaj7 - Octave Shape

Movie (QT): Attached File  lick_wrk_01.mov ( 1.37MB ) Number of downloads: 387
Movie (AVI):Attached File  lick_wrk_01.avi ( 1.33MB ) Number of downloads: 317

You maybe know the situation .. you are in the middle of your solo and want to play a transition to an higher area of the fretboard. Some fancy sweep arpeggios will do it, but this lick can be an easier option.
This lick is based on one single shape played three times, but each shape is shifted one octave higher. The last note is tapped with the middle finger of the right hand. The vibrato is added with your left hand.

The notes used in each shape are the cord notes of the Cmaj7 cord ('C', 'E', 'G', 'B'), but of course you can shift this lick to every position you need it.

Tip: Practice the main shape without octave shifting first.

Attached File  lick_wrk_01.txt ( 1.02K ) Number of downloads: 295

Attached File  lick_wrk_01.gp5 ( 1.82K ) Number of downloads: 253

Attached Image

Hope you enjoy it...

This post has been edited by wrk: Feb 25 2008, 12:49 AM

+Quote Post
wrk
Feb 21 2008, 09:09 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Here my second entry for the "Lick Of The Day" Video Competition:

B-Minor Blues Shape:

Movie (QT): Attached File  lick_wrk_02.mov ( 9.64MB ) Number of downloads: 338
Movie (AVI): Attached File  lick_wrk_02.avi ( 2.44MB ) Number of downloads: 304

A guitar player can not have enough pentatonic licks in his pocket.
This lick is a descending pentatonic blues shape in B minor (1=B, b3=D, 4=E, 5=F#, b7=A). To add a bluesy feel to this lick, the note F (flattened 5th) is used as a passing note between the 5th and 4th. The pentatonic scale with this additional note is also known as as the Blues-Scale.

To make this lick more interesting, try to accentuate the highest note of each small descending sequence of 3 or 4 notes, which is not always direct on the beat. The notes to accentuate are marked with ">" in the Tab or GP file. You will see that this lick starts on the second 16th of the first beat.

If you feel comfortable, try to add some extra "flow" to this lick with small bends and of course some vibrato.

You can easily adapted this lick to different rhythmic situations. Here is a small example how you can integrate this in lick in your solo:
Attached File  lick_wrk_02_example.mp3 ( 540.94K ) Number of downloads: 332

Attached File  lick_wrk_02_backtrack.mp3 ( 1023.39K ) Number of downloads: 279

Attached File  lick_wrk_02.gp5 ( 1.83K ) Number of downloads: 253

Attached File  lick_wrk_02.txt ( 822bytes ) Number of downloads: 249

Attached Image
Attached Image

Hope you will enjoy the lick.

This post has been edited by wrk: Feb 25 2008, 12:48 AM

+Quote Post
Robin
Feb 21 2008, 10:41 PM
Here is my entry for the vid contest.

I hope its ok that I just upload the text file in this post instead of pasting it all here. Since I dont have any fancy tab programs, the letters bump all over the place if I just paste them here.

This post has been edited by Robin: Feb 23 2008, 12:17 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  lickoftheday_robin.wmv ( 4.81MB ) Number of downloads: 453
Attached File  lickoftheday_robin.txt ( 3.81K ) Number of downloads: 1040

+Quote Post
SamJ
Feb 22 2008, 12:41 AM
This is my first entry, I may do another one if I have the time tomorrow. smile.gif

Dminor Acoustic Riff

This is a little lick/riff that I came up with for my band a while back, it's fairly simple and sounds great on an acoustic guitar.
It is played in standard tuning and is in a 4/4 time signature.
The riff is in the key of Dminor and is played at the tempo of 71bpm with 16th notes.
The actual lick/riff itself is made up of eight 3 noted apreggios (chord played one note at a time) and when the whole riff is broken up it looks like this:

Tips:
  • Alternate picking is the key here! Always play up, down, up, down with this lick. It may be tempting to play all downs but try to resist!
  • Alternate picking is one of the most important techniques on the guitar and is needed to make your playing flow and generally be more reliable.
  • When you practice this riff make sure you start off very slow. Starting off too fast will result in the riff being sloppy and it will not be as satisfying to play.
  • One of the best methods to practice a new riff or lick that you have learnt is to play along with a metronome. Increase it at 1bpm everytime once that you feel comfortable with the speed you are playing at.
  • Try to make all the notes ring out by pressing down hard on the frets.
  • Make sure that the fingers on your fretting hand do not get in the way. If they do it can cause buzzing and unwanted noises.
  • And most of importantly...have fun! Learning riffs and licks can take time, just keep at it and you'll get there!

Files:

Main Lick/Riff:
[attachment=4769:Main.mp3]

Main Lick/Riff - Slow:
[attachment=4766:Main___Slow.mp3]

Main Lick/Riff GP5:
[attachment=4778:Main.gp5]

Main Lick/Riff Tab:
[attachment=4771:Main.txt]

Other parts:

I also added some bass, drums and strings on the guitar pro file. So if you don't have GP5, here's the MIDI file which can be played with Windows Media Player:

Main/Lick Riff MIDI:
[attachment=4836:Riff.mid]

If anyone is interested, here is the part for the bass:

And the part for the strings:

Enjoy! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Sam Hook: Feb 23 2008, 03:05 PM

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Feb 22 2008, 05:43 PM
Get to da Chopper!
<Audio Entry1>

Okay here goes!

This is a short triplet feel lick in D minor that is based on moving patterns- it includes:

- Playing a pattern over more than one octave
- Interval sliding
- Palm muting
- Alternate picking
- Legato

Attached File  lick_of_the_day_entry_1__deeproots.txt ( 1.84K ) Number of downloads: 289

Attached File  Lick_of_the_day__DeepRoots_Entry_1.mp3 ( 316.82K ) Number of downloads: 478

The first section is a D minor arpeggio played over 3 octaves with palm muting.

Heres the scale of D minor:

D E F G A Bb C

Now to get a D minor triad we select the Root, 3rd and 5th of the scale or in other words we start from the D note and go up the scale using this rule: Use one, miss one, until we have 3 notes.

D E F G A Bb C

Now we have our three notes (triad) D F and A we find a position to play it in:

Now that we have our shape we can use it across 3 octaves like so:

The second part is a sliding intervals lick. Each set of two notes is a fifth interval apart (like your freindly root fifth power chord shape) on the B and high E string.

We use the notes on the B string to slide the shape to the next set of notes. However, we dont play each set in descending order-
we play the first set
<then slide past a set>
then play a set
<slide up to the set we previosly missed>
play this set
<slide passed the second set we played>
Then play the lowest set.

From this E note, we have a simple 3 note pull off down the D minor scale: E->D->C

We finally end on our last note which is our root note D.

Picking is alternate until the last note which can be played with either an upstroke or a downstroke because of the pull offs that preceed it.

Heres the picking:

I hope you like the lick

Attached File(s)
Attached File  lick_of_the_day_entry_1__DeepRoots.gp5 ( 1.84K ) Number of downloads: 226

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Feb 22 2008, 05:57 PM
Get to da Chopper!
<Audio entry 2>

Here's an E minor Bluesy lick with a bit of tapping.

Attached File  Lick_of_the_day__DeepRoots_Entry_2.mp3 ( 491.52K ) Number of downloads: 374

Attached File  lick_of_the_day_entry_2__deeproots.txt ( 1.27K ) Number of downloads: 274

I really dig the sound of this one.

This post has been edited by DeepRoots: Feb 22 2008, 06:02 PM

+Quote Post
fire
Feb 22 2008, 06:07 PM
So here comes my Lick of the Day:
Attached Image
Initially it's a blues-rock lick, like they are very often used by guitar players like David Gilmour (listen to Pink Floyds famous "The Wall" Album) or Eric Clapton.
But as I know about all those metal-heads out here, I spiced it up with a more "heavy" backing track to make it sound more evil laugh.gif
I hope you'll like it!!
Attached File  contest_0002.wmv ( 6.6MB ) Number of downloads: 349

Its in the key of Bminor and so the scale is the Bminor Blues scale
Attached Image

Full speed is at 140bpm but I made a backing track in 3 different speeds, and for sure a guitar pro tab, with all instruments to give you the possibility to play it in any speed you like.
Attached File  lick.of.the.day.contest.fire.tab.gp5 ( 3.36K ) Number of downloads: 238

Attached File  backing_track_70bpm.mp3 ( 692.98K ) Number of downloads: 282

Attached File  backing_track_105bpm.mp3 ( 488.9K ) Number of downloads: 285

Attached File  backing_track_140bpm.mp3 ( 395.02K ) Number of downloads: 288

Tips:

(1) Start slow
(2) If you struggle with the legato; there are some great lessons from pavel to help you!
(3) Try to play it with "Attitude" to make it still sound bluesy!
(4) For sure you can shift it in any other Key; test it out and use it in your solos
(5) make me proud tongue.gif
(6) Have Fun!!

Cheers
Tobi

This post has been edited by fire: Feb 22 2008, 06:26 PM

--------------------
If you think you understood what I said, you neglect that the things you hear, are different from the thing I thought of. - Got it?

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Feb 23 2008, 12:01 PM
Learning Tone Guru
So here is my first take.. I recently find out, that my webcam doesnt work anymore :-! So I am participating in Audio part of contest smile.gif

Happy Scotland Bagpipe-sounding lick

Here is the tab:
(is there a way to move the tab from bottom here?)
As you can see, its built on E Ionan scale, using legato, open strings and wierd, wild and funny tempo!

Tips:

1) Be happy when playing this - that leads to happy sounding lick
2) Careful on rythmics and note lenght, they are quite tricky!
3) Be happy when playing this - that leads to correctly sounding lick
4) Let the strings ring! (ligatures)
5) Be happy when playing this - that leads to really happy and scottish sounding lick!
6) Dont be afraid to pluck the strings a bit harder than usual, you want strings to ring strongly
7) Additional info written in TAB

Thanks to: KRIS for his off topic talking about correct plaiying rythm in Two handed tapping lesson! It is inspired by the thing he plays there, altough, its purely my work (I swear;)) smile.gif

Good luck, HAVE FUN

Jakub "phoenix" Luptovec

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: Feb 25 2008, 07:48 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

Attached File(s)
Attached File  E_Ionan_Happy_scotland.bmp ( 1.05MB ) Number of downloads: 288
Attached File  E_Ionan___Happy_Scotland.gp5 ( 2.07K ) Number of downloads: 209
Attached File  E_Ionan_Happy_scotland.mp3 ( 1.37MB ) Number of downloads: 365

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Feb 24 2008, 04:19 AM
Heres The lick :

Attached ImageAttached Image

Audio sample : Attached File  lick_of_the_day2.mp3 ( 558.57K ) Number of downloads: 369

Slow: Attached File  lick_of_the_day2slow.mp3 ( 558.57K ) Number of downloads: 280

This simple melody is in the key of E minor -

Attached Image

I played two chords an E5 and a G chord - both arpeggiated, both keeping normal shape but only playing the first three strings, E,A, and D. Just repeated over an over. And this melody follows these nicely. I only change once, and you might be wondering at the end since I'm playing A E and F# why I didn't finish back off with an E5, main reason was to create some tension, and to create something a bit more interesting to the ear. I liked it better than the other way.

Now I didn't do a slow one, But just showing how the added little lick at the end closes up the lick nicely. Now I don't have a drum machine so there are not any drums in this backing track, but it is still fun an easy to jam over.

BT : Attached File  Lick_of_the_dayBT..mp3 ( 2.51MB ) Number of downloads: 297

Short example : Attached File  Lick_of_the_dayBTexample..mp3 ( 546.43K ) Number of downloads: 287

Now just one comment, you might notice in the example I didnt use the lick in whole. I used some parts, and just kept the same concept.

Now you can do like I did, you find a lick you like, and kind of use the concept or even the rhythm that particular phrase has to come up with something that resembles it next to each other but no one would ever even notice a resemblance apart.

This post has been edited by Tjchep: Feb 24 2008, 06:07 AM

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Feb 25 2008, 07:31 AM
Learning Tone Guru
I dont have much time (I am already late to school...), so ill do it shortly, and improve it afternoon. Its based on E Aeolian, uses legato, two hand tapping and precise playing of rythm..

My slower version is not totaly clean - i couldnt used as much distortion as needed so some notes dont sound that good and the start is not totaly rythm correct:( Sorry for that, but I couldnt do better now sad.gif its 7:23 and 8:00 school starts :-D

This is it for now, Ill try to improve/repost it if time (and Andrew:P ) allows me afternoon smile.gif

Post scriptum: OK.. Ill stay home instead of first 2 lessons to improve it biggrin.gif Pls dont close this thread one more hour:D

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: Feb 25 2008, 08:13 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

Attached File(s)
Attached File  E_Aeolian_Legato_Tapping_lick.gp5 ( 2.45K ) Number of downloads: 197
Attached File  E_Aeolian_tapping.mp3 ( 1.64MB ) Number of downloads: 303

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 25 2008, 05:34 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Ok, thats all folks, thread is now locked for voting!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:58 AM