9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
A G/mc Collab!, Fiercesome adrenaline pumping through your veins to the sound of ROCK
Dieterle
Jan 16 2015, 06:39 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
OK my first record over my new macbook and after a long time ..................
need some more time to get some feeling in my fingers and on guitarneck huh.gif smile.gif

only guitar

Soundcloud

with backing

Of course soundcloud tooooo

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Jan 16 2015, 06:44 PM
Veteran Tone Master
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 16 2015, 03:08 PM) *
Great question!

The "A minor pentatonic" scale works over all these chords, because the key of the backing track is A. The tonality of the backing track doesn't change, so you can stay in the same key throughout.

To complicate things, there is no "third" note (C or C#) present in the backing track. Which means this progression is not really minor nor major.

So you could also try the A major pentatonic scale:

There are many other options though. For example if you would rather play on a single string, you can play these notes:

[attachment=40532:00002256.png]

Let me know if I understood your question!

Thank you Kristofer

I'll listen and I 'll try

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 16 2015, 07:00 PM
GMC:er
I'm in!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 16 2015, 09:49 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dieterle @ Jan 16 2015, 02:39 PM) *
need some more time to get some feeling in my fingers and on guitarneck huh.gif smile.gif

only guitar

Soundcloud

with backing

Hey mate!!! Welcome back to rock! smile.gif Thanks a lot for joining this one. I'd like to give some feedback.

I think that there are cool things happening on your solo that can be really rock with some extra work, adjusting some licks, timing and giving everything some more feeling. You tend to play a bit after the beat most of the licks, and I also note that you tend to pick the notes softly. Some of these rocker licks need some more aggression and off course, a wider vibrato.

Let me analyze your phrasing, dividing the solo in smaller parts:

00:00 to 00:09: I think that these 2 phrases are very clear and defined. Just adjust timing, and give a better use of dynamics. In other words, keep the notes, but improve your interpretation. Take care of the last bend, which doesn't reach the pitch smoothly.

00:10 to 00:17: In order to mark better the start of a new phrase, I would let a small silence between this phrase and the previous one. In this part, again timing should be adjusted. The second lick is a bit before the beat so also try to adjust it, and to make the connection between this lick and the ascending higher notes smoother.

00:18 to 00:23: I like the notes choices here.

00:24 to end: Here the solo start to lose direction, and the notes choices seem to become more random. I think that the phrases have a good sense of rhythm but you should re-check the notes to give a more clear direction to this last part of the solo. I note that you start this part repeating many times the note B, (7th fret 1st string). This note is on scale, but it's not the best choice to start or repeat it many times since it's not part of the longer backing chords. Try to stay more on other notes of the scale that are part of A or D chords.

Ok mate, I know that I'm being very deep with the analysis, please don't get scare, just take the things that you can capture now and apply them to your next recordings.

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jan 16 2015, 03:00 PM) *
I'm in!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Awesome!! You are more than welcome Mr Jones! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 16 2015, 10:04 PM
I'll have a go, not promising anything, it's a bit quick for my current skills but what the hell. Let's rock \m/ cool.gif \m/

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Jan 16 2015, 10:26 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 16 2015, 09:49 PM) *
Hey mate!!! Welcome back to rock! smile.gif Thanks a lot for joining this one. I'd like to give some feedback.

I think that there are cool things happening on your solo that can be really rock with some extra work, adjusting some licks, timing and giving everything some more feeling. You tend to play a bit after the beat most of the licks, and I also note that you tend to pick the notes softly. Some of these rocker licks need some more aggression and off course, a wider vibrato.

Let me analyze your phrasing, dividing the solo in smaller parts:

00:00 to 00:09: I think that these 2 phrases are very clear and defined. Just adjust timing, and give a better use of dynamics. In other words, keep the notes, but improve your interpretation. Take care of the last bend, which doesn't reach the pitch smoothly.

00:10 to 00:17: In order to mark better the start of a new phrase, I would let a small silence between this phrase and the previous one. In this part, again timing should be adjusted. The second lick is a bit before the beat so also try to adjust it, and to make the connection between this lick and the ascending higher notes smoother.

00:18 to 00:23: I like the notes choices here.

00:24 to end: Here the solo start to lose direction, and the notes choices seem to become more random. I think that the phrases have a good sense of rhythm but you should re-check the notes to give a more clear direction to this last part of the solo. I note that you start this part repeating many times the note B, (7th fret 1st string). This note is on scale, but it's not the best choice to start or repeat it many times since it's not part of the longer backing chords. Try to stay more on other notes of the scale that are part of A or D chords.

Ok mate, I know that I'm being very deep with the analysis, please don't get scare, just take the things that you can capture now and apply them to your next recordings.

Awesome!! You are more than welcome Mr Jones! smile.gif

Hello Gabriel !

Cool that you took your time to check my record and thank you for the clear and detailed analyses !

Yes you are a hard mentor but a Good ONE !

I will keep on recoding biggrin.gif

Dieter

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 16 2015, 10:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 16 2015, 06:04 PM) *
I'll have a go, not promising anything, it's a bit quick for my current skills but what the hell. Let's rock \m/ cool.gif \m/

Phil

Hi Phil! Great to know that you'll give this one a try! I can help you with this one. There is no problem with speed because you can play longer and slow licks over it. Give it a try and I will come with some feedback to get the best of you for this collab. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 16 2015, 10:56 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Dieterle @ Jan 16 2015, 06:39 PM) *

only guitar

Soundcloud

with backing

I agree with Gab. There is some good stuff in here. I can hear an idea behind you solo's construction and I get the feeling you take us from point A to point B.

I also think you are well on your way with your technique, your hands sound synchronized. Keep working on it and be sure not to miss daily vibrato practicing as well.

When you play faster passages you are often not playing on time. This is dragging down your take a bit.

Also towards the end - I feel your faster passages start to get a bit repetitive, and lose direction as Gab said.

In general your solo would benefit from removing many of those faster passages - and try to find some other alternatives.

Hints: Try pauses, maybe double stops (playing two notes at the same time), maybe some palm muted note, staccato notes (try playing a couple of notes in a row but don't let them ring at all, instead have micro pauses in between them)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 16 2015, 11:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dieterle @ Jan 16 2015, 06:26 PM) *
Hello Gabriel !

Cool that you took your time to check my record and thank you for the clear and detailed analyses !

Yes you are a hard mentor but a Good ONE !

I will keep on recoding biggrin.gif

Dieter

hehe cool mate, please check also Kris comments and feel free to post new updates to let us check them. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Vinman56
Jan 17 2015, 12:07 AM
Learning Rock Star
Dont really know how i should record this. all i really have for a recording device right now is my iphone which works fine for the REC but that wont work this right?

+Quote Post
Nick6373
Jan 17 2015, 08:04 AM
Hey everyone, here's my try at it!

With backing track (2nd Take):
https://soundcloud.com/nick-peacock-7/acdc-collab2-nick6373-w

With backing track (Rough Take)
https://soundcloud.com/nick-peacock-7/acdc-nick6373-b

Without backing track:
https://soundcloud.com/nick-peacock-7/acdc-...ab2-nick6373-no

This post has been edited by Nick6373: Jan 17 2015, 09:19 AM

+Quote Post
Huargo
Jan 17 2015, 09:15 AM
Tone Seeker
hi i'm in too smile.gif
A working progress take... i'll change some notes and i really need to improve my timing. Lot of timing issues...
But cool Baking track. Thanks for this collab
smile.gif

Attached File  Acdccollab_wip.mp3 ( 1.53MB ) Number of downloads: 244

This post has been edited by huargo: Jan 17 2015, 09:27 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 17 2015, 10:01 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Vinman56 @ Jan 17 2015, 12:07 AM) *
Dont really know how i should record this. all i really have for a recording device right now is my iphone which works fine for the REC but that wont work this right?

We'll get back to you shortly about this.

QUOTE (Nick6373 @ Jan 17 2015, 08:04 AM) *
Hey everyone, here's my try at it!

With backing track (2nd Take):
https://soundcloud.com/nick-peacock-7/acdc-collab2-nick6373-w

With backing track (Rough Take)
https://soundcloud.com/nick-peacock-7/acdc-nick6373-b

Without backing track:
https://soundcloud.com/nick-peacock-7/acdc-...ab2-nick6373-no

Very nice - I like your sound a lot, though your guitar level is a bit too high compared to backing (and this brings down the impression of your take).

You start of with some really cool cliché licks that feel perfect for this track!

However at 00:10 and throughout the rest of the take, I feel direction is lacking. And it feels like you were only thinking "licks" when you composed this. Though I must say you do throw in some very tasty licks throughout the whole backing, but these licks feel a bit random to me.

The remedy to this is to try and hear a melody in your head, before taking the guitar in your hand. You can of course still include lots of cliché licks throughout, but there should be a thread throughout your take that originates from a musical idea you got in your head.

If this feels tricky, please consider you can borrow melodies from anywhere - since you will be playing over an original and different backing track, chances are no one will even notice. Also - playing the exact melody you hear in your head can be very difficult, but you don't need to play it note for note - the idea is just to give you a starting point. Actually, the end result does not have to sound anything like what you heard in your head - but listeners will be able to tell your playing originates from a musical idea and not from licks.

Please let me know if this makes sense?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 17 2015, 10:30 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Vinman56 @ Jan 17 2015, 12:07 AM) *

iPhone has a very good potential to be a quality guitar and music recording device.

Please check out these two interesting posts in the other thread where we discuss different options for recording on iOS platform (iPhone, iPad) :

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=704068
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=704069

Please let me know if this is something you'd be interested in setting up, if so I think instructor Todd Simpson will be able to provide you with details how to go about it as he has first hand experience. From my research, one needs to get an audio interface which plugs into the iPhone to enable high quality recording on this device. You basically get to plug in your guitar into this device and capture it on the phone which is awesome and practical smile.gif

Now, I'm not sure this can be done for free but I've seen those devices (mostly referring to device/product called iRig) for pretty affordable prices being available.

Do you have possibilities to record on your PC?
This collaboration doesn't require video recording, just audio tracks.

Probably the easiest solution and workaround to go about this would be to record your takes like this using your iPhone :

1. Open the voice memo app in the iphone
2. Put your iphone close to the speakers/guitar amp and try to adjust the volume of the speakers/amp not to be too loud
3. Record your playing over the backing track
4. Post your take here for feedback

Collabs do require also a "guitar only take", for inclusion in the final mix. To do this, you could have your iphone close to your guitar amp or computer speakers but in case of computer speakers you'd need to make sure only guitar is heard there and somehow have the backing track routed, playing on your headphones (you could play the backing track using ipod or similar device in your headphones) ....all this in order to record "GUITAR ONLY" take where there is no backing track heard only guitar.

I'd suggest recording and posting your guitar + backing mix audio first in this thread following steps above to get feedback on your performance and possible improvement suggestions. Once you have your take set in stone, you could try to record the "guitar only" version of it where there is no backing track heard.

In any case, I think you should participate if only by shooting video just like you are used to (in case audio recording is too complicated or doesn't work) - all in order to get feedback here in the thread.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any help along the way?

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Nick6373
Jan 17 2015, 10:32 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 17 2015, 09:01 AM) *
We'll get back to you shortly about this.

Very nice - I like your sound a lot, though your guitar level is a bit too high compared to backing (and this brings down the impression of your take).

You start of with some really cool cliché licks that feel perfect for this track!

However at 00:10 and throughout the rest of the take, I feel direction is lacking. And it feels like you were only thinking "licks" when you composed this. Though I must say you do throw in some very tasty licks throughout the whole backing, but these licks feel a bit random to me.

The remedy to this is to try and hear a melody in your head, before taking the guitar in your hand. You can of course still include lots of cliché licks throughout, but there should be a thread throughout your take that originates from a musical idea you got in your head.

If this feels tricky, please consider you can borrow melodies from anywhere - since you will be playing over an original and different backing track, chances are no one will even notice. Also - playing the exact melody you hear in your head can be very difficult, but you don't need to play it note for note - the idea is just to give you a starting point. Actually, the end result does not have to sound anything like what you heard in your head - but listeners will be able to tell your playing originates from a musical idea and not from licks.

Please let me know if this makes sense?

I know exactly what you mean I think, and you're 100% right about how I approached making my solo. I just thought of a couple licks I could use (like you said really cliche stuff) and made one or two up.

So adding more melody... Should I remove/shorten one or 2 licks and try bridge my licks with something more melodic that actually works and connects them? In my oppinion melody seems kind of limited using a pentatonic scale... I never really can get anything above average sounding if I want it to sound melodic, especially if I'm using a pentatonic scale.. Any advice?

Thanks!

+Quote Post
SubbedChris
Jan 17 2015, 11:08 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Nick6373 @ Jan 17 2015, 09:32 AM) *
I know exactly what you mean I think, and you're 100% right about how I approached making my solo. I just thought of a couple licks I could use (like you said really cliche stuff) and made one or two up.

So adding more melody... Should I remove/shorten one or 2 licks and try bridge my licks with something more melodic that actually works and connects them? In my oppinion melody seems kind of limited using a pentatonic scale... I never really can get anything above average sounding if I want it to sound melodic, especially if I'm using a pentatonic scale.. Any advice?

Thanks!

I guess idea is to get these Angus super rock sounds using pentatonic licks! Try using A dorian or A mixolydian like huargo did!
You can find many melodies suited for this backing track smile.gif

+Quote Post
Procyon
Jan 17 2015, 11:47 AM
Oh yeah - this sounds great! If I hopefully manage to find some time I will be in for sure!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 17 2015, 03:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nick6373 @ Jan 17 2015, 06:32 AM) *

Thanks!

Hi Nick! Thanks for joining this take! I listened to your take and I agree with Kris about the direction and lack of catchy melodies in your solo. You already have the flashy stuff there, now you need some memorable melodies and use the rocker fast licks to connect them.

When I'm working on polishing a solo I usually take some time to analyze which are the stronger and weaker sections. I use my daw to cut the weaker parts and mute them to work on better ideas there. I repeat this process as many times as it's necessary to get a solo that I completely like. In this case, as you are now looking for more melodic stuff, you could mute everything starting at 00:10 and improvise some melodic phrases with a good use of silences between them. Then, you can turn on the flashy licks, and see where the melodies can be replaced by them, and where the licks can be used to connect them.

About the use of pentatonic for melodies. I don't think that you can't create nice melodies just using pentatonics. A lof of blues lines for both vocals and instruments are usually created focusing on pentatonics, and be sure that many pop and rock songs are mostly based on it.

Some inspiration: http://youtu.be/H8PC1_3fjvs?t=1m49s

QUOTE (huargo @ Jan 17 2015, 05:15 AM) *
hi i'm in too smile.gif
A working progress take... i'll change some notes and i really need to improve my timing. Lot of timing issues...
But cool Baking track. Thanks for this collab
smile.gif

Attached File  Acdccollab_wip.mp3 ( 1.53MB ) Number of downloads: 244

Wou! This is really promising! I enjoyed most of the phrases of this solo mate! I like the vibe of your melodies and I think that with some little adjustments this could be an epic solo! There are just some little moments where the solo lacks direction or the note choices don't sound totally cool. I'm talking about this moments:

00:02 to 00:05- The first phrase should have more impact. It starts a bit shy.

00:08 - That repetitive bend. Even if you avoid making it sound as a loop could work.

from 00:20 to 00:25 - Here the note choices are weird.

Other than that, your solo is killer. Looking forward the final version!

QUOTE (Procyon @ Jan 17 2015, 07:47 AM) *
Oh yeah - this sounds great! If I hopefully manage to find some time I will be in for sure!

Cool! You're welcome! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 17 2015, 03:44 PM
Todd here wink.gif Your iphone should work fine wink.gif

One way is probably to use GARAGE BAND on the iphone which costs $5 (five dollars U.S.) it will let you pull in the backing track, and record your track, then export your track only and export your track with the backing. Just mute the backing track when exporting to get a version with just your solo smile.gif

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/garageband/id408709785?mt=8

You could also use the FREE APP call MTSR for iphone which does multi track recording for iphone wink.gif Fewer features but FREE!!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/multi-track...d390599090?mt=8

Hope this helps wink.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Vinman56 @ Jan 16 2015, 07:07 PM) *

+Quote Post
Huargo
Jan 17 2015, 04:01 PM
Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 17 2015, 03:27 PM) *
00:02 to 00:05- The first phrase should have more impact. It starts a bit shy.

00:08 - That repetitive bend. Even if you avoid making it sound as a loop could work.

from 00:20 to 00:25 - Here the note choices are weird.

Other than that, your solo is killer. Looking forward the final version!

Thanks for your comments Gabriel, i'm totally agree.
The only thing it's the weird notes in 00:20 to 00:25... i really like the rhythm pattenr in that moment, i don't wanna lose that thing... Are they so bad ?
I'll try to find another with the same pattern.

smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:57 AM