> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Llibach's Arrangement
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 19 2013, 09:00 AM
Instructor
Ahoy there matey biggrin.gif

This here is your thread, so let's use it to develop your skills as a musician! Can you please describe your previous experience with recording and arranging and maybe post some audio/ video examples here?

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
llibach
Jan 19 2013, 01:00 PM
Learning Rock Star
Ok so I'm new when it comes to recording, I've got reaper and a boss multi track recorder that I'm able to use but I don't really know how to get the best out of them especially in regards to getting a decent mix. I was gonna work with Alex on laying drums down for a hybrid picking piece that I came up with which I'll post here for you to listen too.
I do have a few other ideas and bits of songs but just the guitar parts I'd like to bring them together for a decent song.
I've just recently got a new computer so a lot of the material is on the old one so once I get them transferred I'll post them too.
[https://soundcloud.com/llibach/flood-plain
This is what I was in the process of working on with Alex.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 19 2013, 07:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (llibach @ Jan 19 2013, 12:00 PM) *
Ok so I'm new when it comes to recording, I've got reaper and a boss multi track recorder that I'm able to use but I don't really know how to get the best out of them especially in regards to getting a decent mix. I was gonna work with Alex on laying drums down for a hybrid picking piece that I came up with which I'll post here for you to listen too.
I do have a few other ideas and bits of songs but just the guitar parts I'd like to bring them together for a decent song.
I've just recently got a new computer so a lot of the material is on the old one so once I get them transferred I'll post them too.
[https://soundcloud.com/llibach/flood-plain
This is what I was in the process of working on with Alex.

Alrighty, got the idea - tell me do, was this piece recorded with a metronome? If yes, we can lay down a drum track - btw, what are you using for drum writing?

+Quote Post
llibach
Jan 19 2013, 09:39 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 19 2013, 06:39 PM) *
Alrighty, got the idea - tell me do, was this piece recorded with a metronome? If yes, we can lay down a drum track - btw, what are you using for drum writing?

Yeah it was, it's at 120 bpm. I think it's better a little faster but anyway, I don't actually have anything for drums my drum machine broke and I'm looking into getting some software Alex suggested EZ drummer, what do you think?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 20 2013, 08:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (llibach @ Jan 19 2013, 08:39 PM) *
Yeah it was, it's at 120 bpm. I think it's better a little faster but anyway, I don't actually have anything for drums my drum machine broke and I'm looking into getting some software Alex suggested EZ drummer, what do you think?

Hey mate - EZ drummer is great. I am using Superior Drummer and I love it very much so far. In the first place, we will focus on understanding rhythmic subdivisions and learning how to replicate various drum grooves smile.gif So, pick up your fav drummer tongue.gif

+Quote Post
llibach
Jan 20 2013, 10:58 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 20 2013, 07:48 AM) *
Hey mate - EZ drummer is great. I am using Superior Drummer and I love it very much so far. In the first place, we will focus on understanding rhythmic subdivisions and learning how to replicate various drum grooves smile.gif So, pick up your fav drummer tongue.gif

I'll invest in EZ I think then, will have it sorted by the end of the week. So let me get this right you want me to list my favourite drummers?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 21 2013, 09:01 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (llibach @ Jan 20 2013, 09:58 PM) *
I'll invest in EZ I think then, will have it sorted by the end of the week. So let me get this right you want me to list my favourite drummers?

Yeah man smile.gif We'll pick a groove from each and you will replicate it so you'll understand how they phrase and have a good reference for your first written drum grooves - trust me you learn A LOT from a drummer biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
llibach
Jan 21 2013, 11:06 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 21 2013, 08:01 AM) *
Yeah man smile.gif We'll pick a groove from each and you will replicate it so you'll understand how they phrase and have a good reference for your first written drum grooves - trust me you learn A LOT from a drummer biggrin.gif

Ok lets see. Favourite is Brann Dalior of Mastodon but his rhythms are pretty complex so how about Des Kensel from High on Fire
and Brian Blickle from Baroness these are a couple of examples that I hope aren't too technical.

This post has been edited by llibach: Jan 21 2013, 11:12 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 21 2013, 11:41 PM
Instructor
Wow! Dude - very nice!!! I thought i was the only one who knew about Baroness biggrin.gif

Let's get this going then, tell me, do you know rhythmic subdivisions and the way they are figured when writing drums? Or have you ever written a drum groove? smile.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
llibach
Jan 22 2013, 12:10 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 21 2013, 10:41 PM) *
Wow! Dude - very nice!!! I thought i was the only one who knew about Baroness biggrin.gif

Let's get this going then, tell me, do you know rhythmic subdivisions and the way they are figured when writing drums? Or have you ever written a drum groove? smile.gif

Cosmin

Hell no, I been into Baroness for years man I love their stuff wink.gif . The twists and changes in their songs plus the sweet melodies followed by crushing riffs, awesome.
I don't really know anything about drumming and thats exactly what I want to figure out how to lay a song out. The drummer in my band is superb naturally musical and a brilliant sense of rhythm but is not musically trained so when I try to get him to teach me about rhythm it just gets lost.
I want to be able to lay tracks down so the guys can have a listen at home and bring in their ideas about it so that we're better prepared going into the unit (practice room).

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 22 2013, 10:34 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (llibach @ Jan 21 2013, 11:10 PM) *
Hell no, I been into Baroness for years man I love their stuff wink.gif . The twists and changes in their songs plus the sweet melodies followed by crushing riffs, awesome.
I don't really know anything about drumming and thats exactly what I want to figure out how to lay a song out. The drummer in my band is superb naturally musical and a brilliant sense of rhythm but is not musically trained so when I try to get him to teach me about rhythm it just gets lost.
I want to be able to lay tracks down so the guys can have a listen at home and bring in their ideas about it so that we're better prepared going into the unit (practice room).

biggrin.gif Well, you are in luck, because I was in the exact same situation as you, somewhere in 2008, but as a difference, my drummer was not so brilliant, I mean he is the most awesome guy and friend one could have (he is responsible for me playing the guitar and I will owe that to him for the rest of my life) but he was too much of a rigid dude and he was not making music, he was playing the drums, if you know what I mean. So, as a result, I was frustrated by the fact that the music I was writing wasn't that good because the whole ensemble was faulty when the drums had to be laid down. Because of that, I started learning about drumming so, like you, I would present my ideas featuring the drum grooves as well. I became better and better at it, up to the point where my frustrations grew bigger and bigger as I was realizing more an more that my friend wasn't able to play the stuff that I was writing. It simply didn't stick to him and he ended up playing only what he knew - at that point I had to replace him (we stopped talking for about an year 2009-2010) and we eventually became good friends again in early 2011.

Well, the first thing would be to get acquainted with writing drums using your mouse, but before that, you need to understand the rhythmic subdivisions. Check out the following diagram:

Now, please let me know if you know these, so we can move forward and also, please tell me when you have the software installed smile.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
llibach
Jan 22 2013, 12:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 22 2013, 09:34 AM) *
biggrin.gif Well, you are in luck, because I was in the exact same situation as you, somewhere in 2008, but as a difference, my drummer was not so brilliant, I mean he is the most awesome guy and friend one could have (he is responsible for me playing the guitar and I will owe that to him for the rest of my life) but he was too much of a rigid dude and he was not making music, he was playing the drums, if you know what I mean. So, as a result, I was frustrated by the fact that the music I was writing wasn't that good because the whole ensemble was faulty when the drums had to be laid down. Because of that, I started learning about drumming so, like you, I would present my ideas featuring the drum grooves as well. I became better and better at it, up to the point where my frustrations grew bigger and bigger as I was realizing more an more that my friend wasn't able to play the stuff that I was writing. It simply didn't stick to him and he ended up playing only what he knew - at that point I had to replace him (we stopped talking for about an year 2009-2010) and we eventually became good friends again in early 2011.

Well, the first thing would be to get acquainted with writing drums using your mouse, but before that, you need to understand the rhythmic subdivisions. Check out the following diagram:

Now, please let me know if you know these, so we can move forward and also, please tell me when you have the software installed smile.gif

Cosmin

Yeah i understand those. I got a grade 8 qualification in guitar so i'm quite clued up in theory.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 22 2013, 02:49 PM
Instructor
Aaaah, why didn't you say that in the first place smile.gif This will make things a lot easier for you. Anyway, can you use the drum writing software so we can start working?

+Quote Post
llibach
Jan 22 2013, 09:45 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 22 2013, 01:49 PM) *
Aaaah, why didn't you say that in the first place smile.gif This will make things a lot easier for you. Anyway, can you use the drum writing software so we can start working?

So I just purchased EZ from Amazon and it should arrive Thursday, so once I got that set up I'll give you a shout so that we can get going. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 23 2013, 11:20 AM
Instructor
Alright man! Please do smile.gif

+Quote Post
llibach
Jan 25 2013, 11:49 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Cosmin I've got the software set up now so I'm ready to rock wink.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 26 2013, 11:11 AM
Instructor
Hehe! Alright mate - let's begin with a simple exercise:

Please compose a groove of 4 bars, at a tempo of 120 bpm, having a crash cymbal on each first beat in every bar, hi-hats on each 8th note, one kick on the first and third quarter note and one snare on the second and fourth quarter note.

Ready? GO!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
llibach
Jan 26 2013, 02:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 26 2013, 10:11 AM) *
Hehe! Alright mate - let's begin with a simple exercise:

Please compose a groove of 4 bars, at a tempo of 120 bpm, having a crash cymbal on each first beat in every bar, hi-hats on each 8th note, one kick on the first and third quarter note and one snare on the second and fourth quarter note.

Ready? GO!

Cosmin

Is it possible to create drum patterns with EZ ? All I can see is pre programmed patterns that you insert into the timeline.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 27 2013, 08:30 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (llibach @ Jan 26 2013, 01:17 PM) *
Is it possible to create drum patterns with EZ ? All I can see is pre programmed patterns that you insert into the timeline.

Of course! This is our aim, is it not? You should select the EZ as a pluggin in a midi channel and open the piano roll in order to see the grid on which you write the drums smile.gif Can you do that?

+Quote Post
llibach
Jan 27 2013, 10:51 PM
Learning Rock Star
https://soundcloud.com/llibach/drum-1
Ok, I can't seem to open the keyboard on my midi unless I've got a track on the time line. I'll keep trying to sort something, but I managed to get a track that was close and modify it, hope this is what you asked for.

This post has been edited by llibach: Jan 27 2013, 11:27 PM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:21 PM