3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Rich And Famous?, concerning the teachers here
resilientguitari...
Oct 1 2008, 06:18 PM
GMC:er
I was just curious if any of teh staff (of GMCers) were making music their profession. As in there are some AMAZING guitarists on this site im awed by lots of the instructors all of them in fact. I was wondering if they did music as a profession at all. And if not ... WHY NOT?? is it really that hard to get a job as a musician? im fifteen and that is my dream. So, how come you guys arent out there getting rich and famous and creating amazing music! ?? (and no im not about being rich and famous thru music) (i wud spend all the money on guitars anyways biggrin.gif)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Oct 1 2008, 06:22 PM
there are a couple of staff here who make a living through music. the Rich and Famous part isn't as easy as it seems, there are more starving guitarists than rich ones. Marcus Siepen is the most famous as far as im concerned, hes one of the guitarists in the band Blind Guardian wub.gif if he is rich or not.. im not sure biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
jer
Oct 1 2008, 06:23 PM
Marcus Seipen is one of the guitarists for Blind Guardian. Which makes him famous to me. They are a fantastic metal band that, to me anyway, defines the genre.

Rich?

I don't know. You'd have to ask him.

I imagine he earns enough to make a living. But I don't think we'll be seeing the members of Blind Guardian on MTV Cribs any time soon.

Its music for people who appreciate music. Not those who appreciate a "a scene" or "a look".

My 2 cents anyway.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
Canis
Oct 1 2008, 06:32 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (jer @ Oct 1 2008, 07:23 PM) *
..... But I don't think we'll be seeing the members of Blind Guardian on MTV Cribs any time soon. ....

That would be a step in the wrong direction anyway, in my opinion tongue.gif
MTV Cribs is for commercial sellouts......

On topic:
There is a few topics about "How to break though in the music business", and a lot of instructors had great things to say there. But I doubt they roll around on piles of money like Metallica tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 1 2008, 06:54 PM
Instructor
This is because no matter how good you are you still need some luck and connections to become rich and famous. There are few who are rich and famous and doing music, compared to a bunch of players who are really good and deserve to be famous but circumstances make them as they are.

Also if I may add that being rich and famous doesn't have to be a good thing at all. It is important to have a fulfilled life and family and to earn for them a healthy amount of money. Rolling around in piles of money can be fun, but can empty the soul of a man pretty quickly.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Oct 1 2008, 06:55 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 1 2008, 07:47 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Let's keep the discussion around the fame part when it concerns the GMC members and instructors. What their income is and whether they are rich or not is non of anyones business. Thinking foremost of Marcus Siepen who's been mentioned a couple of times already. I know he's cool and will probably not be concerned by this talk, but ones income and bank accounts is personal and not public.
Feel free to discuss his fame though.

+Quote Post
jer
Oct 1 2008, 07:51 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Oct 1 2008, 01:47 PM) *
Let's keep the discussion around the fame part when it concerns the GMC members and instructors. What their income is and whether they are rich or not is non of anyones business. Thinking foremost of Marcus Siepen who's been mentioned a couple of times already. I know he's cool and will probably not be concerned by this talk, but ones income and bank accounts is personal and not public.
Feel free to discuss his fame though.

This seems like a sensible crowd. I don't expect anyone to be asking for scans of bank statements or anything.

I haven't been here long though. So perhaps I've missed some inappropriate behavior in the past.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
Noangels
Oct 1 2008, 07:53 PM
I know a few guitarists who are world class players but they cant give up there high paid day jobs as they would have to take a HUGE cut in wages-we all have bills to pay but I think most here would give up every thing to play in a band that tours a lot:)Theres money to be made and fun to be had wink.gif A mate tours Europe a fair bit every year with his band and I must admit that lifestlye looks great when I'm stuck in the office

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
jer
Oct 1 2008, 07:58 PM
Then there are artists that you'd be surprised to find out that they have "real jobs" when they aren't on the road.

"Wha??? That dude has to work a regular job?" Its not that uncommon. If you don't have royalty checks coming in regularly due to writing credits and fantastic record sales, you don't have an income without being on the road.

A friend of mine recently booked a club tour for some recognizeable names in the metal/power metal genre. I was surprised exactly how little they are paid per stop. Then there are expenses.... Hauling 15 guys across the country with gear ain't cheap.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
Rooks
Oct 1 2008, 08:42 PM
I dunno if the goal is to rich and famous .. But being able to live of something you love doing is.. So if one can simply make as good a living as a good day job that'l be awesome..

--------------------

Gear: Guitar Cort EVL X4 , Squier Strat Amp Peavey Valveking 112 50w

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 1 2008, 08:58 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (jer @ Oct 1 2008, 02:51 PM) *
This seems like a sensible crowd. I don't expect anyone to be asking for scans of bank statements or anything.

I haven't been here long though. So perhaps I've missed some inappropriate behavior in the past.

You're right - we are pretty sensible on the whole smile.gif Micke was just gently steering the conversation away from subjects that might be embarrassing or sensitive to our esteemed instructors - we wouldn't want to upset them! It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, just the thread in general, so don't feel singled out!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
jer
Oct 1 2008, 09:01 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Oct 1 2008, 02:58 PM) *
You're right - we are pretty sensible on the whole smile.gif Micke was just gently steering the conversation away from subjects that might be embarrassing or sensitive to our esteemed instructors - we wouldn't want to upset them! It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, just the thread in general, so don't feel singled out!

Oh, no problem. I didnt feel singled out. I wouldn't get into personal matters like that with anyone here anyway. Yeah, this place is lucky to have the instructors is does. You don't want to be annoying them and chasing them off.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 1 2008, 09:04 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Oct 1 2008, 07:54 PM) *
This is because no matter how good you are you still need some luck and connections to become rich and famous. There are few who are rich and famous and doing music, compared to a bunch of players who are really good and deserve to be famous but circumstances make them as they are.

I totally agree with Ivan here. I guess we are all tired of watching "successful" (mediatic and bad) bands on TV or on the radio, who have almost non-existent musical skills, and what's worse, no taste at all.

Then we go to a local pub or small concert and are astonished to find some totally unknown guys playing excellent music, people who have clearly invested thousands of hours in their playing, and will never be able to make a living out of music alone. Sad but true.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Canis
Oct 1 2008, 09:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Fran @ Oct 1 2008, 10:04 PM) *
I totally agree with Ivan here. I guess we are all tired of watching "successful" (mediatic and bad) bands on TV or on the radio, who have almost non-existent musical skills, and what's worse, no taste at all.

Then we go to a local pub or small concert and are astonished to find some totally unknown guys playing excellent music, people who have clearly invested thousands of hours in their playing, and will never be able to make a living out of music alone. Sad but true.

Indeed... Comes back to what I said about "Commercial Sellouts" further up this thread tongue.gif

The most famous band/artists I listen to these days are Foo Fighters and Tenacious D. The other stuff I listen to, like William Fitzsimmons and Agalloch, have probably never been mentioned on Norwegian media.. Or even MTV for that matter.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Oct 1 2008, 09:25 PM
Lets go fishing!
Whilst it is great to be rich - I am of the firm belief that the richest men and women on earth are those who are healthy , happy and kind to others smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
FrankW
Oct 1 2008, 11:34 PM
When I was young, I suppose I aspired to "make it big". But, what does that mean? Money? Fame? Groupies? I've forgotten about the rich and famous part a long time ago. I've come to the conclusion that making it big in the music business is as likely as winning the lottery.
Now, my view of a successful musician is one who can make a living playing. Think about it. They say only 5% of people working enjoy what they do. If I were to make a living playing my guitar, I'd be in heaven. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get rich, but I'd be happy.
But priorities change. Getting older means more responsibilities like wife, children, car payments, mortgage, etc. Chasing ones' muse is often overshadowed by these things, as it should be. Ones' musical dreams too often fade into obscurity as a result, leaving only a memory of what might have been.
On the bright side, being the best player I can be is a neverending journey towards an excellence that I am sure I will never reach. But, it's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase!

+Quote Post
jer
Oct 2 2008, 03:23 AM
Getting older means more responsibilities like wife, children, car payments, mortgage, etc. Chasing ones' muse is often overshadowed by these things, as it should be.

As it should be?

Are you serious?

Then why don't we all just put a bullet in our head when after blow out the candles on our 30th birthday.

Giving up on your dream is a personal choice. It's not right for everyone. And in my humble opinion, its certainly not "as it should be".

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
jdriver
Oct 2 2008, 03:35 AM
QUOTE (Fran @ Oct 1 2008, 01:04 PM) *

On the other hand, the Internet has made it possible for many previous unknowns to become "somewhat knowns" and every little bit helps. We have several instructors here who have CDs for sale, and I think that's great. This topic is about rich and famous, and I think you can be one without the other. Of my favorite groups, I'd hate to see them go "mainstream," because very few real Artists can withstand the pressures of commercial success.

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 2 2008, 06:33 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (jer @ Oct 2 2008, 04:23 AM) *
As it should be?

Are you serious?

Then why don't we all just put a bullet in our head when after blow out the candles on our 30th birthday.

Giving up on your dream is a personal choice. It's not right for everyone. And in my humble opinion, its certainly not "as it should be".

How I understood Frank was that as you got a wife, mortage, children that takes priority over the dream you're chasing.
Yes, as it should be, I titally agree. Making a familiy is a responsibility, spending 50 incomeless hours a week chasing a dream while your family don't get to see you nor get any money from it doesn't cut it in real life.
And since I've got a wife and three kids, house, mortage and all that it's reality. Sure, can still dream but can't spend a whole lot of time making it real. Just doesn't work.

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Oct 2 2008, 06:58 AM
Singing Instructor
I think that chasing a dream is not that hard.You just need to to say good buy to all the things that "grownups" haw.But starting a family,hawing obligations or chasing a dream should be a matter of choice.Reality is what we make out of it.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:15 PM