How To Track Your Improvements..., ... and get some new motivation.
Keilnoth
Sep 22 2009, 06:24 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Today I wondered how I could track my improvements. People often get bored because they cannot "see" their improvements and here I am trying to propose some solutions :

- Check your metronome speed with a not so easy exercise. The idea here is to choose one exercise and to increase the metronome speed while learning it. I am personally trying to select a not so easy exercise and not only 1 2 3 4, 4 3 2 1. That way I am sure I am improving my picking accuracy and not only my speed. As it is useless to practice the same exercise during 10 hours a day, I am playing it every few days for a few minutes and re-check the speed every few weeks or months.

Checking only every weeks or months is a much better idea than checking everyday. Because by seeing no improvements on an everyday basis, you will quickly loose your motivation. They use the same rule for diet programs. If you weight yourself everyday, you won't see any change but if you weight yourself every week then you will have lost some weight. tongue.gif

- Replay old compositions and hear the improvements. That's probably what I am going to do as I am not a shredder. So what I am trying to do is to tab (very important, otherwise you will forget how to play them) all my compositions for the collaborations and try to record them again every few weeks so I will directly hear my improvements. Perhaps I will have learnt some recording tricks as well and discovered some new good tones and that's part of the progression.

That's pretty much all for now. Do you guys have some other ideas ? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Sep 22 2009, 06:27 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Sep 22 2009, 06:24 PM) *
Today I wondered how I could track my improvements. People often get bored because they cannot "see" their improvements and here I am trying to propose some solutions :

- Check your metronome speed with a not so easy exercise. The idea here is to choose one exercise and to increase the metronome speed while learning it. I am personally trying to select a not so easy exercise and not only 1 2 3 4, 4 3 2 1. That way I am sure I am improving my picking accuracy and not only my speed. As it is useless to practice the same exercise during 10 hours a day, I am playing it every few days for a few minutes and re-check the speed every few weeks or months.

Checking only every weeks or months is a much better idea than checking everyday. Because by seeing no improvements on an everyday basis, you will quickly loose your motivation. They use the same rule for diet programs. If you weight yourself everyday, you won't see any change but if you weight yourself every week then you will have lost some weight. tongue.gif

- Replay old compositions and hear the improvements. That's probably what I am going to do as I am not a shredder. So what I am trying to do is to tab (very important, otherwise you will forget how to play them) all my compositions for the collaborations and try to record them again every few weeks so I will directly hear my improvements. Perhaps I will have learnt some recording tricks as well and discovered some new good tones and that's part of the progression.

That's pretty much all for now. Do you guys have some other ideas ? smile.gif

My routine consists of 3 components......cover tunes, technique practice and composing. I actually made a spread sheet where I listed all the excercises I play for my technique workout and I put an Actual tempo that I can play them at and a goal tempo. That way I can check it weekly for improvement. When I reach the goal tempo I find another lick I want to play up to speed. GMC is full of licks I can't play up to speed...... laugh.gif laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 23 2009, 09:48 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Record yourself. As often as possible. And listen to yourself then wink.gif Recording can brutally show you your flaws, but they can also clearly show improvements, so record some takes today, and record them again after practicing them for a while you will surely hear a difference.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 23 2009, 11:06 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Sep 23 2009, 10:48 AM) *
Record yourself. As often as possible. And listen to yourself then wink.gif Recording can brutally show you your flaws, but they can also clearly show improvements, so record some takes today, and record them again after practicing them for a while you will surely hear a difference.

I agree smile.gif

I record myself playing all the time, after metronome.
Usually to record riffs/ideas I've made, and songs as well..
When I go back and listen to recordings done a year ago, I can hear a crazy difference smile.gif
And recordings as you say. tells the truth.
You can hear mistakes right away smile.gif

So it really helps, and this keeps me motivated as well because I know I'm getting better!

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 23 2009, 01:39 PM
Instructor
Recording is essential part of improvement. You also have to be realistic and be very self critical. This in my opinion is very important in order to improve.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 23 2009, 02:04 PM
Instructor
Yep, recording may be a pretty good way to track your progress, since you can listen to it later and see just how much you advanced. Video recording, or audio recording, doesn't matter, just record. I once pulled out old tapes that I recorded when I was starting to play, and man it sounded horrible. I couldn't believe how much progress there was made, we usually tend not to see this progress.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 23 2009, 05:46 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Sep 23 2009, 02:39 PM) *
Recording is essential part of improvement. You also have to be realistic and be very self critical. This in my opinion is very important in order to improve.

Yup, thats very important too, to be honest with yourself, it doesn't make any sense to "lie" to yourself, face your flaws, only like that you can work on them.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 12:19 AM