Unable To Play On The High Frets
Keilnoth
Sep 20 2009, 12:50 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Today I came to a fearful finding. I am completely unable to play on the high frets.

It's probably come from the fact every time I warm up or train the scales or whatever I play. I play that below the 12th fret. It's pretty easy there. There is large frets and my big fingers are less likely to press the wrong one. smile.gif

Are you guys training the high frets differently ? Is there some tricks to play well on the high frets ? For example, it seems that my fingers are too big whatever I am trying to play. Do you have some potion to make your fingers thin and sharp ? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Sep 20 2009, 12:59 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Sep 20 2009, 01:50 PM) *
Today I came to a fearful finding. I am completely unable to play on the high frets.

It's probably come from the fact every time I warm up or train the scales or whatever I play. I play that below the 12th fret. It's pretty easy there. There is large frets and my big fingers are less likely to press the wrong one. smile.gif

Are you guys training the high frets differently ? Is there some tricks to play well on the high frets ? For example, it seems that my fingers are too big whatever I am trying to play. Do you have some potion to make your fingers thin and sharp ? smile.gif

It's simple: Play all your exercises and scales beyond the 12th fret. Play all the licks you know an octave higher until your fingers are accustomed to the smaller fret size. You have to do this at soe point if you want to play solos anyways, there is no way to avoid it!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Sep 20 2009, 12:59 PM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Shadow21
Sep 20 2009, 05:34 PM
GMC:er
I had the same problem, but has Zakk said, you just have to practice on those higher frets untill you get used to them.
That's the only way mate!
Good luck smile.gif

+Quote Post
Laszlo Boross
Sep 20 2009, 09:08 PM
Instructor
You have to practice more on high frets indeed. First try some simple chromatic finger exercises, then some simple soloes.
This is a long process and won't be easy. but very important . smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
And believe it, the finger size doesn't matter.

--------------------
Check out my lessons

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 21 2009, 05:05 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Your fingers are for sure not too big, they are just not used to play on the higher frets, and there is just one way of making them get used to it... playing smile.gif The solution to your problem is very simple, practice anything anywhere on your guitars neck, don't limit yourself to frets 1-12, use them all. In the beginning it might feel strange, cause the gaps between the frets get smaller and smaller the higher you get, but you will get used to it and your problem will be gone.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Sep 22 2009, 11:48 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks for the answers !

I played for a few hours on the high frets this week-end and it's already easier to do my solo on those high notes. smile.gif

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 22 2009, 12:40 PM
Instructor
It might take some days of getting used to it. I remember I had same problem also.
You should take every lick you play up to 12th fret and put it up an octave (up 12 frets). So if you play lick in G minor pentatonic starting on 3rd fret, you would now do it 3+12 = 15th fret. Hope that helps!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 22 2009, 03:34 PM
Thats also a good advice, and as you can see practicing on the higher frets already has the effect that you want, so just keep practicing all your licks in all positions on your neck. By the way, it is also a good thing to practice sitting AND standing, cause when you play while sitting down you are holding your guitar in a different way compared to playing while standing. So if you only practice sitting down you might have a bad surprise when you finally play a gig, after all you won't sit down on stage, will you? wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Sep 22 2009, 06:19 PM
Instructor
Also, maybe altering your fingerings may help. I am the kind of person that likes the Wizard II necks, so they aren't jumbo. Certain licks i have to alter the fingerings so my fingers don't get hung up on one another.

Like for instance a normal 3nps string lick i might finger 1 3 4, when doing it above the 12th fret i might do 1 2 3, with the same intervals as the previous lick. Sometimes its hard to squeeze your pinky in there it gets hung up on your ring finger, so just use your ring finger instead.

This method obviously comes with time and patience because it means you have to have greater finger independence.

Daniel

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 23 2009, 09:50 AM
I do the same thing, on the higher frets I am using different fingerings, for the same reason.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 23 2009, 10:25 AM
Instructor
I agree with Daniel and Marcus here. On higher frets I tend to use different fingerings as well. Mostly fingers that are closer to each other (1st 2nd and 3rd instead of 1st 3rd and 4th for example).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 23 2009, 02:06 PM
Instructor
I don't have a potion for making your fingers thin and sharp, but I do think I've left some of that "make your frets wider on higher positions" lotion somewhere around here...

JK, ofc, practice is the key. You said it yourself - you didn't actually rehearsed anything seriously up there. If you start to do that, your playing up there will improve as well.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 23 2009, 05:44 PM
Can I have some of that potion please? rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:59 PM