> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Dorian Phrasing - Intermediate, Lesson By Muris Varajic
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
8 [ 2 ] ** [66.67%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

Jim S.
Sep 1 2014, 04:15 PM
Learning Rock Star
Original lesson: Dorian Phrasing - Intermediate by Muris Varajic

Hey guys I've spent some time on this and learned so much too! With this lesson I am finding more confidence with a closed hand for use of hybrid picking. I went on vacation recently and before I left I was near a rec. take but didn't touch my guitar for a solid week. When I returned I found my picking hand felt more natural with a closed grip and this seemed to help with accuracy with the pick and fingers. In this take my hand is not as close to the strings as I'd like but it's a good start and eventually I'll get to use many picking approaches.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 1 2014, 05:07 PM
Instructor
Hi Jim! Nice video. I enjoyed your guitar tone and those texts on screen with details about what you are playing. It's very informative.

Your playing is good on this one, but you have to know focus on some details in order to master the different licks and phrases. There are some little timing issues here and there, licks that aren't sounding totally polished and some dynamics being missed comparing your take with Muris's one.

I recommend you to divide the lesson in 10 seconds sections to compare your playing with Music and focus on those three topics: timing, dynamics, precision. Identify the parts that have differences, isolate the licks and work on them until you master them. Then, combine everything again and record a new take.

Your hybrid picking technique looks and sound good, just be careful with timing when you use it and with the lick at 00:13, that is not sounding totally clear.

Keep on the good job!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 2 2014, 10:59 AM
Instructor
Howdy Jim!

Congrats on nailing this lesson as an ensemble, but now, as Gabi very well pointed out, it's time to tackle the details.

I would follow his suggestions and break things down into small pieces trying to analyze all the lesson parts focusing on the three aspects mentioned:

- timing
- dynamics
- precision

Then after making sure that you can play them clean at a slow speed, try to implement them in the context and maybe even record a take over the original - in that way, you will be able to tell which phrase sounds a bit blurry or imprecise, or maybe some potential timing slips.

Keep rocking!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 12 2014, 07:56 AM
Instructor
Hi Jim, this is quite a tricky sounding lesson. There's a lot going on and it all happens pretty quickly

My main issue with this take is a lack of clarity.. it all rushes past without standing out. As you said, your hand was further away from the guitar than you would have liked.. naturally, having your hand closer to the instrument would aid you in muting and also adding palm muting as a taste factor as well, to help some of those notes pop out in a more 'staccato' fashion.

You are in front of the beat in quite a few places, possibly due to red light syndrome.. the cam is on so the buzz takes over wink.gif

As Gab said, it might be a good thing to choose 2 bar sections at a time and just focus on getting those timing aspects right, as well as the tonal control to stop notes meshing into each other.

You've done most of the hard work, just need to add the polish !

+Quote Post
Fran
Sep 12 2014, 12:05 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 7.7

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:40 PM