Sound Advice
besip
Apr 14 2009, 02:02 AM
GMC:er
OK I'm have 2 Guitar here

1. My cheap Esp ltd Viper 50 with •ESP LH-100 humbucking pickups

2 My new jackson Sl2 with 2 Humbuckers: Duncan JB and '59

I'm injured 3 month allready so don't pay attention pls for my bad playing

I playing here over My Vox Amp and Digitech Df7 pedal with same setings on bridge pickups on booth guitar

The thing is i like the Cheap Esp bridge pickup sound better for ne like the sound on my Sl2..To me sound on Esp more powerfuel and cutting{treble} like the sound on my Jackson

what is you advice to sound more like the Esp do??? Change pickups on my Sl2??? or just try to play more with the setings knobs??? or just try to put the pickup a little down-up???? or i blame my self and the jackson pickup sound better???

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
Apr 14 2009, 02:15 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
NOOOO don't change those pickups, there a nice set. Sounds like the SL2 is a tadge out of tune. Throw it on a tuner and make sure you are good. Add a little more bass and back down the treble one click and see how it sounds to you. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
besip
Apr 14 2009, 05:33 AM
QUOTE (skennington @ Apr 13 2009, 09:15 PM) *
NOOOO don't change those pickups, there a nice set. Sounds like the SL2 is a tadge out of tune. Throw it on a tuner and make sure you are good. Add a little more bass and back down the treble one click and see how it sounds to you. smile.gif

i'm will check it tomorow cool.gif it's late night allready thanks for reply
oohh i'm forgot there is always 1 more solution buy more guitars to get more sounds biggrin.gif but there is always Money issue rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by besip: Apr 14 2009, 05:41 AM

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
Carlos Carrillo
Apr 14 2009, 05:45 AM
Instructor
one jackson Sl2 with 2 ESP LH-100 humbucking pickups!!!!!!! rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif wub.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
besip
Apr 14 2009, 05:50 AM
QUOTE (Carlos Carrillo @ Apr 14 2009, 12:45 AM) *
one jackson Sl2 with 2 ESP LH-100 humbucking pickups!!!!!!! rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif wub.gif

heh i'm belive there is better Esp pickups around biggrin.gif for sure i'm be find better pickups like those one smile.gif they are gonna be maybe the cheapest Esp ever..but i'm like the sound with power chords on them on my cheap Viper
i'm not sure if they be sound good on the Sl2 smile.gif

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 14 2009, 02:23 PM
Instructor
I think you answered your own problem pretty good Besip - you gotta play with these pickups and settings a bit in order to find a good sound. If you don't find the sound you like after a while, just replace the pups, but that should really be the last resort. First try everything possible with your current setup and don't rush things. Take your time to find the tone you like on both guitars.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
29a
Apr 14 2009, 02:49 PM
I do turn down the lower mids quite a bit when playing with the jb. And even then my tone is far less scooped than yours. First try to match the amp settings, if that doesn't help, get emgs or duncan blackouts. I suppose it's a jackson USA so the additional expense for the new pickups should be small in comparison to the price of the guitar.

Jonas

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Apr 14 2009, 04:42 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I agree with Ivan, before changing the pickups you should play around with your settings first to see what you can really get out of that guitar, only in case you can really not get a satisfying result you should consider new pickups.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
besip
Apr 14 2009, 11:59 PM
ok thanks all to your reply guys i'm will be play more with this knobs smile.gif
but anyway if somebody has good ears and know just by listening the demo hot to move the knobs to get the same sound on my jackson like on my Esp i'm will gonna appreciate that smile.gif

1 again thenks for yours reply to me cool.gif

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 15 2009, 01:33 AM
Instructor
No prob Besip, anytime mate smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Apr 15 2009, 04:50 AM
Listen to your favorite guitar song, and try to match the sound as close as possible. One you think it's close, try experimenting more... I'm the same way, takes me forever to tweak it right.

More Treble - more attack.
More Mids - sustain longer (also helpful if you can't seem to get the guitar loud enough - add mids).
More Bass - of course, more raw power into the tone.

Keeps these 3 knobs in mind when your comparing sounds of your amp and your stereo. I don't think of them as "hmm, needs more treble" I think of it as "needs a sharper attack" -> which leads to more treble.

Your amp sounds how it sounds, you can't adjust it to sounds like triple rectifier from the EQ alone. But if you can properly master the EQ, you'll be surprised how even a cheap amp can sound great. (I have no idea what kind of amp you have.... this is also for other people reading who might have a cheap one)

Personally:
I'm not one to scoop my mids much at all, I leave that knob from 11-1 o'clock, and play with treble and bass from 12-2 o'clock. A hint of reverb and I'm good to go.

Edit: To answer your question, I like the sound of the Jackson a bit more. Try playing with the tone knob on the guitar if your trying to match them more. It's probably just a mater of different cap's (which make the tone filter) on each guitar.

This post has been edited by Sircraigery: Apr 15 2009, 05:00 AM

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
besip
Apr 15 2009, 06:15 AM
QUOTE (Sircraigery @ Apr 14 2009, 11:50 PM) *
. (I have no idea what kind of amp you have....

Vox Valvetronic AD30VT-XL

thanks for you replly i'm will take something from that cool.gif

btw-i'm not sure but 1 guy tell me the Sd is probbaly stronger like the Esp Pickups so you have to cut of the gain a little to feel the powerfuel sound...i'm not sure if he's right i'm was always thing stronger pickups=stronger sound???

Btw how the gain setings related to the setings knobs when i'm looking for some sound??/ becouse i'm was play almost always with Hi-gain

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Apr 15 2009, 07:07 AM
I always thought more gain was better until recently. Hearing myself from recordings I realized I sounded more like Slayer than Lamb of God.

Your EQ is really important for power metal. Once you get playing around, you'll find the sweet spot where full gain sounds very similar to half the gain. Along with that, you'll find that half the gain will cover more mistakes, where as tons of gain amplifies even the slightest slip of the fingers.

I use a SD pickup. Never really tried Esp's.

This post has been edited by Sircraigery: Apr 15 2009, 07:08 AM

--------------------
Guitars:
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

+Quote Post
kjutte
Apr 17 2009, 12:28 AM
Are the pickups in correct height?

+Quote Post
besip
Apr 17 2009, 02:43 AM
QUOTE (kjutte @ Apr 16 2009, 07:28 PM) *
Are the pickups in correct height?

not sure becouse i'm don't know what is right height smile.gif
looks like the Ltd pickups are on higer position like the jackson pickups

i headr booth pickup positions {high-low}have some advantage and disadvantage???

This post has been edited by besip: Apr 17 2009, 03:28 AM

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
29a
Apr 17 2009, 03:37 AM
If the pickup is closer to the string it will have more output because it picks up more string movement. But you'll also have less sustain because the magnets in the pickup dampen the string movement. The sounds also changes a bit so you can experiment a bit with that.

There is another thing to the pickup distance. If the pickups are to close to the strings the guitar begin to sound very weird even when not amplified. That is because the magnetic field of the pickup distorts the movement of the string when it is too close.

That being said, as far as I know, changing the pickup height won't give you the sound of the ltd pickups. I think what you need to do is to scoop the mids a bit more. My ENGL E530 preamp has a "lower mids" knob that would do pretty much what you want I think. Also boost the treble a bit.

I dial in my gain like this: I palm mute the a and e string slightly and increase the gain until the open a string string has got some punch and the e string some chunk. I think this works quite well.

Jonas

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
besip
Apr 17 2009, 03:51 AM
QUOTE (29a @ Apr 16 2009, 10:37 PM) *
If. I think this works quite well.

Jonas

i got you...i'm was thing that way also..actualy my jackson don't have also good sustain so i'm don't wana put the pickup more high..I really need to learn by my self how to work with the knobs..actualy i'm have on the video the treble maybe on 4 clock mids 7-8 clock {almost 0} and bass 3 clock and maybe i'm have to cut the gain on my amp i'm almost always have gain on full position 4-5 clock

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Apr 17 2009, 03:54 AM
QUOTE (29a @ Apr 17 2009, 03:37 AM) *
If the pickup is closer to the string it will have more output because it picks up more string movement. But you'll also have less sustain ...
Jonas

That's a great point, I didn't even think of that! My Ibanez has lower pickups that my Epi LP did, and the sustain of the Ibanez totally blows it away.... I guess could be a lot of the reason why.

--------------------
Guitars:
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

+Quote Post
besip
Apr 17 2009, 03:58 AM
QUOTE (Sircraigery @ Apr 16 2009, 10:54 PM) *
That's a great point, I didn't even think of that! My Ibanez has lower pickups that my Epi LP did, and the sustain of the Ibanez totally blows it away.... I guess could be a lot of the reason why.

huh i'm got this also but my jackson is hi-end guitar has pickups far from the string but the cheap lts still beat my hi-end with sustain rolleyes.gif you can fix{try fix your probl nice and easy} but i'm lost biggrin.gif

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Apr 17 2009, 04:03 AM
QUOTE (besip @ Apr 17 2009, 03:58 AM) *
huh i'm got this also but my jackson is hi-end guitar has pickups far from the string but the cheap lts still beat my hi-end with sustain rolleyes.gif you can fix{try fix your probl nice and easy} but i'm lost biggrin.gif

It's normal for a guitar with a fixed bridge to have better sustain. Are you using the same gauge strings on both guitars?

10's will ring a little longer due to momentum. I ask because lots of people have 9's on floating bridge guitars, and others with fixed bridge guitars usually have 10's.

--------------------
Guitars:
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:48 AM