How Do I Learn This, Foreign Objects
OrganisedConfusi...
Nov 17 2008, 04:30 PM
GMC:er
I love this band and song but the solo is impossible. What techniques do I need to practice to be able to get close to this? I can probably learn all rhythm but solo is impossible.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ohVdk-IstQo

And this track

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=e6OUPA3eadM

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Nov 17 2008, 05:01 PM
Instructor
I like this a lot!

To approach this kind of style, you need a good understanding of odd measures and polyrhythms.
Make yourself a very simple drum loop in 4/4 (4 beats per measure.. Then try to play a lick in 5/4 over that loop. Basically you'll be playing a lick that will "spill over" the next measure by one beat. Those two parts together will eventually get back together. That's polyrhythm.
Work on exercises like that and gradually make them more and more complex.

Also, it seams that they like string skips in their licks. Practice playing octaves first using a string skip, then move on to scales..

Hope that helps a bit...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Nov 17 2008, 05:07 PM
Cheers David. I will try that out because the rhythms of some of their songs confuse the hell out of me.

Here is another one of their tracks

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aOO4x40Q0nw

I'm focusing on the rhythm work and getting that nailed and then I will try and work on the crazy solos. James Murphy plays the solos and he is crazy and mad if you know him on guitar.

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Nov 17 2008, 05:07 PM

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Nov 17 2008, 05:22 PM
Instructor
That's some weird stuff, but I love hose kind of riffs. Thanks for sharing and let me know how your progress goes!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Nov 17 2008, 05:25 PM
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ Nov 17 2008, 04:22 PM) *
That's some weird stuff, but I love hose kind of riffs. Thanks for sharing and let me know how your progress goes!

I will try and record something when I have some of the rhythm nailed and record it. smile.gif It'll probably take me a year to figure it out. My ears are useless with this stuff.

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Nov 17 2008, 05:25 PM

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
fkalich
Nov 17 2008, 05:57 PM
First do Jaun's 5/4 lesson. Then Jerry's odd time lessons, 1 and 2. Then move on to Juan's more advanced.
The odd times are really not hard once you get into it. Set your metronome to do a loud snare on one beat of the measure, and lower volume bass drum on the others on the 5/4. on 7/4 or stuff like that, you have to count something like 1,2,3,4,1,2,3... ON 11/4 it is 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3. You can do variations, but that is the idea.

Regarding the AP, it is pick technique mostly, I can do that, it is mostly pick technique. I went after that sound early from listening to Kris, I like that machine gun type AP. Bu your rhythm has to be perfect.

Another good example of that is David's Brian May, he does some of those AP runs, and you have to have perfect timing to pull them off. Even not real fast, I think those are good to work on to perfect that, and it translates to faster AP play.

I never try to play songs, just work on lessons. And as time goes on, I am reinforced that is the best way to go.

edit: you are probably talking about the odd time, not the AP, but I was not sure. But that guy did have a real crisp AP, even not real fast. But I like that a lot better than slopped out shred crap. I work on that all the time. Jose has that good 4/4 lesson, and Pavel's Ionian is good for triplet. But I work on that in all songs, often try to do it better than the teacher did it, I have very high standards for AP. I hate shred crap, to me it is like a little kid banging pans together. AP should be Articulated, or it should slow down, in my view. And that guy in those like runs did it right.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Nov 17 2008, 06:03 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:26 AM