Zakk Wylde Emgs...
Spock
Feb 12 2014, 12:59 AM
GMC:er
Got these and am so excited!

I hope they will make me play like Zakk!

Anyway - I had posted, a year ago, about selling my silver PRS. Since then, I started playing it and it is now my "go-to" guitar, so I am going to hot-rod it with these active pick-ups.

Attached Image

Also having the guitar reset - intonation, make sure the bridge stays rested on the body, lowering the action and taking off the 5 position pup dial and replacing it with a 3-way switch.

I typically use Boomer or Elixir 10-46, and suppose I will stick with those, but am contemplating going with 10 - 50, little more chunk on the top, but not as much squelch.

It will be like a brand new guitar.

BTW - concerning my Marshall JVM mishap - it stopped working. The new tubes sound awesome. I didn't realize that tubes should be replaced about every 2 to 3 years - or if you're a weekly gigging musician - every year. The guy said my tubes were black, and I had been playing them for 5 to 6 years - so, got my money's worth out of them.

But these new tubes sound sound round and warm, and the deterioration of the original tubes was so gradual - that I never heard the difference until I got the new tubes.

So - what do you guys think about strings that have a 60 gauge on the top?

Attached Image

I don't think I have the courage for these.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 12 2014, 06:36 AM
Congrats! smile.gif I had the KERRY KING EMG set in a guitar of mine (a Minarik Lotus) and they sure did RAWWWWWKKKKK. smile.gif

Record something when you get them in so we can hear!

Todd

QUOTE (Spock @ Feb 11 2014, 06:59 PM) *
Got these and am so excited!

I hope they will make me play like Zakk!

Anyway - I had posted, a year ago, about selling my silver PRS. Since then, I started playing it and it is now my "go-to" guitar, so I am going to hot-rod it with these active pick-ups.

Attached Image

Also having the guitar reset - intonation, make sure the bridge stays rested on the body, lowering the action and taking off the 5 position pup dial and replacing it with a 3-way switch.

I typically use Boomer or Elixir 10-46, and suppose I will stick with those, but am contemplating going with 10 - 50, little more chunk on the top, but not as much squelch.

It will be like a brand new guitar.

BTW - concerning my Marshall JVM mishap - it stopped working. The new tubes sound awesome. I didn't realize that tubes should be replaced about every 2 to 3 years - or if you're a weekly gigging musician - every year. The guy said my tubes were black, and I had been playing them for 5 to 6 years - so, got my money's worth out of them.

But these new tubes sound sound round and warm, and the deterioration of the original tubes was so gradual - that I never heard the difference until I got the new tubes.

Attached Image

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Spock
Feb 13 2014, 01:06 AM
Will do man - I just rewrote a song I started a little over a year ago, so I'm excited about hearing how it turns out with the new gear.

+Quote Post
NPB1979
Feb 20 2014, 02:25 PM
I used an 85/81 EMG set in my '79 Gibson Explorer since 1996 'a la Metallica. I loved them until the day I took them out to wind my own passive PAF style humbuckers. cool.gif Obviously a different sound and a more classic look to the guitar. Inspires different riffage.

The EMGs play nice with pedals and most amps. Great for high gain stuff too. I'm just not a fan of the flat black.

This post has been edited by NPB1979: Feb 20 2014, 02:26 PM

--------------------
As me about my Michigan-based handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups. Est. 2010 - I wind more for hobby and not for profit. I do pickup winding, rewinding, and some vintage repair as well.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 20 2014, 03:15 PM
Learning Tone Master
my 2 cents, cause that's how much it's worth
emg's great for metal(high Gain)superb with a tube amp-not as responsive as passive (in regards to clean to slightly distorted)
and if you use plugins you have to turn down your input to not clip(which renders them use less) so as long as you can go full bore , your'e good

and the strings as long as you tune low , those low strings will be useful, if you don't tune low, I guess you can always use them to strengthen your fretting hand

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 20 2014, 05:43 PM
It's true that the original 81.85 set were not built with "dynamics" in mind. They are hot rod pickups built for high gain. They do a great job of pushing a Tube Amp harder than most passive pickups so combined with a Marshal Stack they can sound pretty mean smile.gif

As CRSN mentions though, in other applications, like home recording, they need to be treated a bit differently. They don't do clean tones all that well IMHO, and the output is hot so make sure it doesn't redline on your audio interface if you go direct.

Still, having owned several guitars with that very pickup set, I think you'll have a great time with them smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Feb 20 2014, 09:15 AM) *
my 2 cents, cause that's how much it's worth
emg's great for metal(high Gain)superb with a tube amp-not as responsive as passive (in regards to clean to slightly distorted)
and if you use plugins you have to turn down your input to not clip(which renders them use less) so as long as you can go full bore , your'e good

and the strings as long as you tune low , those low strings will be useful, if you don't tune low, I guess you can always use them to strengthen your fretting hand

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 20 2014, 07:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Spock @ Feb 11 2014, 11:59 PM) *

Attached Image

If you're tuning down then go for it.. if not I personally wouldn't see the payoff of such thick stringage !

+Quote Post
Spock
Feb 20 2014, 10:58 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 20 2014, 01:06 PM) *
If you're tuning down then go for it.. if not I personally wouldn't see the payoff of such thick stringage !

I agree Ben. I'm slowly coming out of the low tuning mindset. Has been an adventure, but decided to stick with 10-46.

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 6 2014, 02:32 PM
This is the first recording I'm really working at since putting the EMGs in my silver PRS. Also, since doing the 4 cable method from the PODHD 500X through my Marshall and direct into the iMac.

Anyway - this song is not finished. Finally I'm working with a vocalist and have rewritten a song idea I posted earlier so that it will fit vocals. Right now the bridge area is wide open - could put a solo there or harmony guitar with vocals, but this recording tone is so much better than what I have been use to.

https://soundcloud.com/lllspocklll/song3-in-progress

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 6 2014, 07:22 PM
Congrats on the upgrades and good job on the track!
QUOTE (Spock @ Apr 6 2014, 09:32 AM) *
This is the first recording I'm really working at since putting the EMGs in my silver PRS. Also, since doing the 4 cable method from the PODHD 500X through my Marshall and direct into the iMac.

Anyway - this song is not finished. Finally I'm working with a vocalist and have rewritten a song idea I posted earlier so that it will fit vocals. Right now the bridge area is wide open - could put a solo there or harmony guitar with vocals, but this recording tone is so much better than what I have been use to.

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Apr 6 2014, 07:52 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Spock @ Apr 6 2014, 01:32 PM) *

Sounds very good! The guitar sounds thick and professional.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 6 2014, 08:32 PM
Instructor
Congratulations mate! I love the box design and the addition of the pick to make the kit more special. I will be waiting for your video sample!

Regarding the string gauge, I'm with Ben, just for lower tuning, if not you will be dealing with harder to play and more expensive strings without sense.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:50 PM