5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
What Mode ...
AK Rich
Feb 7 2013, 03:45 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 6 2013, 04:11 PM) *
Close.
Highland pipes are indeed Bb something (too big of hint if I tell) but this particular Jig is not in Bb.

Ok I guess I am confused, The droning Bb I hear is not the root note of the key this jig is played in?
Is this a G minor Pentatonic scale?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Feb 7 2013, 03:45 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 7 2013, 08:12 AM
GMC:er
No, in this case the 'drone' (Bb) is not the home key of this particular tune. It's also not a pentatonic scale, though all the notes of Gm penta happen to be in the mode/scale. You're very close.
Hint: Highland pipes are not a chromatic instrument. All their standard tones (normally fingered) make up a Bb mixolydian scale (they can get other notes with special techniques and 'tricks'). Also, they're generally tuned really sharp. Like 9 cents sharp!
Forget the drones - what pitch feels like home? (The last note of the tune is not the key)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 7 2013, 08:16 AM

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 7 2013, 10:14 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 6 2013, 10:12 PM) *
No, in this case the 'drone' (Bb) is not the home key of this particular tune. It's also not a pentatonic scale, though all the notes of Gm penta happen to be in the mode/scale. You're very close.
Hint: Highland pipes are not a chromatic instrument. All their standard tones (normally fingered) make up a Bb mixolydian scale (they can get other notes with special techniques and 'tricks'). Also, they're generally tuned really sharp. Like 9 cents sharp!
Forget the drones - what pitch feels like home? (The last note of the tune is not the key)

Holy horse shoes and hand grenades batman! biggrin.gif My kung fu is not so good, Ok one last guess before I am off to plow snow, Could it be
C Dorian?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 7 2013, 10:38 AM
Instructor
Hey Ken - yeah, it's the blues scale alright with Enter Sandman - but with the bagpipes... still thinking smile.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 7 2013, 05:06 PM
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 7 2013, 09:14 AM) *
Holy horse shoes and hand grenades batman! biggrin.gif My kung fu is not so good, Ok one last guess before I am off to plow snow, Could it be
C Dorian?

90% credit because you kept at it smile.gif - C aeolian.

The Highland pipes are keyed to Bb mixo. That means they're the same notes as Eb major so no A natural available (w/o using an extended technique). If there's a tune that's 'C' based it'll be aeolian - C D Eb F G Ab Bb - sixth mode from Eb maj.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 7 2013, 05:17 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 7 2013, 07:06 AM) *
90% credit because you kept at it smile.gif - C aeolian.

The Highland pipes are keyed to Bb mixo. That means they're the same notes as Eb major so no A natural available (w/o using an extended technique). If there's a tune that's 'C' based it'll be aeolian - C D Eb F G Ab Bb - sixth mode from Eb maj.

Oh man I fail! rolleyes.gif Well at least I finally guessed a minor mode after shooting up the whole horizon. Thanks for the 90% Ken wink.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 7 2013, 05:34 PM
No AK you definitely don't fail.
That was a hard one because 1) the drone is not the tonic in this case and 2)there's only one note different in aeolian and dorian (A/Ab) and the melody doesn't focus on the Ab note - it just runs through it. 'If' one played C minor penta over the whole thing you'd sound good. The MP scale outlines both aeolian and dorian (phryg too).

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 7 2013, 08:33 PM
Instructor
Alright Ken! Where do you get these from? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 7 2013, 08:52 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 7 2013, 07:33 PM) *
Alright Ken! Where do you get these from? biggrin.gif

I'm old laugh.gif

One of the bands I play with ... http://standeasyband.com/nji/carry.php
And I've always been attracted to modal music.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 8 2013, 04:42 AM

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 7 2013, 10:15 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 7 2013, 07:34 AM) *
No AK you definitely don't fail.
That was a hard one because 1) the drone is not the tonic in this case and 2)there's only one note different in aeolian and dorian (A/Ab) and the melody doesn't focus on the Ab note - it just runs through it. 'If' one played C minor penta over the whole thing you'd sound good. The MP scale outlines both aeolian and dorian (phryg too).

Hey thanks alot Ken , you know I almost guessed phrygian too rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 8 2013, 10:30 AM
Instructor
Wow biggrin.gif bagpipes and rock and.. wow biggrin.gif So awesome! I love this sort of music, do you by any chance like Greg Joy?

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 8 2013, 05:29 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 8 2013, 09:30 AM) *
Wow biggrin.gif bagpipes and rock and.. wow biggrin.gif So awesome! I love this sort of music, do you by any chance like Greg Joy?

We're more electric but it's coming from the same place. Elec guit in at :40, pipes in at 3:45
https://soundcloud.com/klasaine/john-allan-not-just-intonation

This is a little heavier ... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songI...;songID=8408256

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 8 2013, 05:34 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 9 2013, 09:32 AM
Instructor
Man! I love this! Thank you, thank you, thank you! biggrin.gif

Now, how can I purchase ALL this music? Hehe, found the 'paypal purchase' button on the site!

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Feb 9 2013, 09:33 AM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 9 2013, 09:49 AM
Wow! Thanks.
I recommend the latest - 'Not Just Intonation'.
I love 'Tainted' and 'Stand Easy' too (though I'm not on the stand easy record - it was the first one and I wasn't in the band yet) but you know you're always partial to the one you just did.

*'Family Favorites' is just solo pipes - no electric guitars or drums. It's a great record, Jon Allan is one the best pipers in town. Does a ton of studio work here.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 9 2013, 09:52 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 10 2013, 10:20 AM
Instructor
Thanks again Ken!

So, I will restart the engine and throw this one in the mix:

+Quote Post
Amir Razmara
Feb 11 2013, 05:21 AM
OK this for this next song see if you can tell what the mode is for the part that starts 0:47 !!!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 11 2013, 10:20 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 10 2013, 09:20 AM) *
Thanks again Ken!

So, I will restart the engine and throw this one in the mix:

Ha, ha - and they say nobody uses Locrian (E) for a 'song' ... they do go to sort of an A major chord later but I say the 'riff' is Locrian - ?

@ Amir ... C# harmonic minor for that section of the Marty F. tune - ?

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 12 2013, 04:02 AM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 12 2013, 03:07 AM
So this is probably pretty easy. But it's the quintessential modal tune - it started it all - and I think it needs to be represented in this thread.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 12 2013, 08:20 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 11 2013, 09:20 PM) *
Ha, ha - and they say nobody uses Locrian (E) for a 'song' ... they do go to sort of an A major chord later but I say the 'riff' is Locrian - ?

Yeah man! It's Locrian biggrin.gif

Dunno about the Friedman song yet as I haven't managed to give it a good listen with the axe in hand

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 17 2013, 12:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 12 2013, 02:07 AM) *
So this is probably pretty easy. But it's the quintessential modal tune - it started it all - and I think it needs to be represented in this thread.

Sounds like Dorian to me smile.gif

How bout this one? And the time signature is also interesting smile.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Feb 17 2013, 12:58 PM

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:52 AM