Speed Picking, Short and Simple
skennington
May 3 2008, 10:26 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
So I been working on speed picking to hopefully help with my AP, not satisfied thus far. Anyway i threw together a little backing and a short burst of speed. I'd appreciate any suggestions that might help.

Thanks guys,
Steve

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  skenn_speed_pick.mp3 ( 432.26K ) Number of downloads: 226

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Siggum
May 3 2008, 11:09 PM
GMC:er
Nice picking there, your surely on the right track, speed picking and AP is one of the main things i need to improve on as well, great effort.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 4 2008, 01:28 PM
Instructor
Great effort man, you are taking metronome practice serious I can see that. In the end you kinda got a little sloppy, that's because you are focused on speedpicking while you do it. It is important to be able to speedpick and not think much about your right hand. It must go flawlessly while you concentrate what to push next. But you are on the right track as Siggum said, keep rockin man. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
skennington
May 4 2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks guys. Ivan, you are right, I am focused on my right hand. More to make sure i'm using mostly wrist with small movements but I can tell I'm still tense. Any suggestions on how to relax and just let it flow? Or will that just come with time? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 5 2008, 12:31 AM
Instructor
nice track mate and good tempo

+Quote Post
Nick325
May 5 2008, 12:35 AM
nice job try to keep it more clean and keep practicing with the metronome

+Quote Post
skennington
May 5 2008, 12:59 AM
Thanks Hisham and Nick. Soon i'll post up a take moving around the neck at say 300bpm! laugh.gif blink.gif
Not quite but yea, metronome certainly helps. I've been using actual drum tacks that Smells sent me quite a while back. (You listening man, these are getting old tongue.gif ) just speeding up the tempo in reaper. I've noticed if you don't go to extreme, you can change tempo in "item properties" and not effect pitch much.

+Quote Post
Gus
May 5 2008, 01:07 AM
I think you do much better than me already, but here is my point of view, which is actually a spoiler of my entry to student instructor competition:

So here is the main deal about tremolo picking: you must make a constant motion of very small downstrokes and upstrokes, keeping the string being hit at a constant pace. If you start practicing very slowly you will learn it very soon.
It is important to practice the string changes. Each string has a different tension and size, which makes challenging changing the string and continuing at the same speed as before.

This post has been edited by Gus: May 5 2008, 01:08 AM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
skennington
May 5 2008, 01:59 AM
QUOTE (Gus @ May 4 2008, 08:07 PM) *
I think you do much better than me already, but here is my point of view, which is actually a spoiler of my entry to student instructor competition:

So here is the main deal about tremolo picking: you must make a constant motion of very small downstrokes and upstrokes, keeping the string being hit at a constant pace. If you start practicing very slowly you will learn it very soon.
It is important to practice the string changes. Each string has a different tension and size, which makes challenging changing the string and continuing at the same speed as before.

Thanks Gus, And yes, you are spot on with your lesson spoiler, keeping the pace and string hopping almost seems like a workout! blink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:09 PM