Music Camp
superize
Jul 6 2012, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
This week i have started attending an 11 day long music camp here in my town. 7 days of hard work learning to play togheter as a band and sounding good and then a 4 day tour with gigs. sounds like alot of fun dosent it? Well it is but its alot of hard work and it demands alot of concentration to be able to getting it to work togheter so now after only two days i feel really tired in my head(a little bit of it could be that i got a cold this week mad.gif ).

So far we have started working on two songs

The Police-the world is running down

Very easy song to play since there are only three chords in it but still its one of the hardest songs we are going to do this wee since its hard to keep the concentration playing the same thing over and over for 4 min.

Marvin Gaye-How sweet it is to be loved by you.

There is alot more happening in this song, more chords to remeber but nothing impossible to do. The important thing in this song since its a Motown kin of song is to get a groove going and that is easier said then done.

The teachers we are having are all amazing and doing a great job teaching us. We are 5 guitarists this year so the playing time is a bit limited but still its important to stay focused and pick up everything that the teachers are saying. Us guitarist are also very lucky to be getting some one on one time with the American guitarist Rex Caroll who is here for the entire week teaching. We had our first session today and the first thing he noticed that my fretting hand needs work since i am moving my index finger to much and in time when i dont need to. Thats the beuty of having a teacher who can see your misstakes and help you to correct them, so now its back to scratch with my picking and really work on that.

This was a very long post but i can get back to you later and tell how things are going.

Have a nice day biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jul 7 2012, 12:11 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (superize @ Jul 6 2012, 01:40 PM) *
This week i have started attending an 11 day long music camp here in my town. 7 days of hard work learning to play togheter as a band and sounding good and then a 4 day tour with gigs. sounds like alot of fun dosent it? Well it is but its alot of hard work and it demands alot of concentration to be able to getting it to work togheter so now after only two days i feel really tired in my head(a little bit of it could be that i got a cold this week mad.gif ).

So far we have started working on two songs

The Police-the world is running down

Very easy song to play since there are only three chords in it but still its one of the hardest songs we are going to do this wee since its hard to keep the concentration playing the same thing over and over for 4 min.

Marvin Gaye-How sweet it is to be loved by you.

There is alot more happening in this song, more chords to remeber but nothing impossible to do. The important thing in this song since its a Motown kin of song is to get a groove going and that is easier said then done.

The teachers we are having are all amazing and doing a great job teaching us. We are 5 guitarists this year so the playing time is a bit limited but still its important to stay focused and pick up everything that the teachers are saying. Us guitarist are also very lucky to be getting some one on one time with the American guitarist Rex Caroll who is here for the entire week teaching. We had our first session today and the first thing he noticed that my fretting hand needs work since i am moving my index finger to much and in time when i dont need to. Thats the beuty of having a teacher who can see your misstakes and help you to correct them, so now its back to scratch with my picking and really work on that.

This was a very long post but i can get back to you later and tell how things are going.

Have a nice day biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Sounds like a blast! It's easy to think a song is easy because it only has 3 chords, but songs consist of alot more than just chords - they have breaks, choruses, bridges and everything in-between. There are also lyrical cues that are involved

If you sing AND play the guitar, good look with that! I know from experience, all the cover songs I've learned have been easy in structure, but littered with nuances & small differences that you don't realize until you're the one responsible for learning them!

Here are some things I've learned along the road:
1. The chords are the easiest part of the song - but learning when and how to play them is riddled with traps.
2. Lyrics of a song may seem easy to someone singing along to a CD - but take away the CD, and all of a sudden, the how the lyrics are sung can escape you, and then you realize how huge of a role in *how* the lyrics are sung plays in knowing where you are in the song.
3. Even though the words of a chorus may seem to repeat, and therefore be easy to memorize, most of the covers I've learned will change 1 or 2 words in the chorus, and depending on which word is sung, will dictate where you are in the song.
4. Stage presence is the last thing you concentrate on when you're playing because you're focused on what to play - however the first thing the audience concentrates on is stage presence! Combining the two is an art all in itself, and much like a mental juggling game.
5. If you sing and play - you have the hardest job of the entire band because you set the mood of the song, serve as the time-keeper for when a song begins and ends, you dictate how to recover from a missed line, you serve as a visual and audio indicator as to where you are in a song, and unless your other band mates are doing back-flips on stage, you are the presence of the band - all eyes are on you and how you act, look and perform will be the major factor in how the audience views the band as a whole.

Add the fact you'll be on stage and nervous only adds complexity that only you'll understand when you're in the spotlight.

Give us an update! I'm excited to hear how it goes - and get video! If for no other reason, so you can see how you look from the audience's perspective - then you can start working on how to correct those little bad-habit things you didn't know you did on stage wink.gif

Cheers!
Chris

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
superize
Jul 9 2012, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Just a little quick update for you guys.

Now we have learned all the songs and really worked our asses of to learn how to play them togheter. The first gig is on thursday so from now on we will start focusing on rehersing the songs. The instructors will now choose who is going to play what song and then you focus only on them. Since we are 5 guitarist we will all play 2 or 3 songs out of 6.

These days have been really though for me since i have been fighting with a cold(i even had a bit of fever last night) but its much better now and i feel i am on the right way back. 2 days of rehersing left and then 4 gigs this weekend.

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 9 2012, 08:11 PM
Instructor
Sounds like a great experience, Ize... you can come back and teach us ! smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:55 PM