2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Mhskeide's December Mtp Thread, Weekly assignments and uploads here
Pedja Simovic
Dec 3 2009, 01:46 PM
Instructor
Hi Magnus,

Welcome to your December MTP Thread. I am looking forward to see and hear you play more in this month. I hope you will find the assignments very useful and challenging at the same time. Never hesitate to ask any questions, I will do my best to respond to them all asap.
Since you mentioned you do know the modes but have trouble using them, I have decided for your 1st assignment to be directed towards that area.

Here is your 1st assignment for December.

Your 1st assignment for December is due week from today (10th of December)

Dorian mode soloing :

- I would like you to record backing track for D Dorian mode.
- Please read my post on Cadences bellow to learn more about modal applications.
- Backing track should ideally have Drums, Bass and Rhythm Guitar and/or Keyboard/Piano. I will however accept the backing with just a click and rhythm guitar.
- Tempo of backing track is your choice. Make sure backing track is at least 30 seconds long.
- Feel free to loop the drum track as well as your audio signal when recording.
- Your 2nd assignment will be to improvise over the backing track you created and upload the video on Youtube.

Here is the link for Cadences post:

Cadences

Let me know if you have any questions and if I could help in any way!

Pedja

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 7 2009, 02:00 PM
Instructor
Magnus how is 1st assignment coming along? You have 3 days until the deadline smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Dec 8 2009, 07:42 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Dec 7 2009, 02:00 PM) *
Magnus how is 1st assignment coming along? You have 3 days until the deadline smile.gif

Not as good as I wanted, due to several mock exams and tests at schools this week, things are going a bit too slow sad.gif

Hopefully, I`ll be able to spend some time tonight to figure out the last bits of my backing, and record it tomorrow smile.gif

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 8 2009, 11:11 PM
Instructor
Let me know if I could help in any way Magnus. I hope to hear something from you tomorrow since on Thursday we shall move on to 2nd assignment.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Dec 9 2009, 06:27 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Alrighty then, here`s my attempt in making a acceptable backingtrack.
For now, it only contains bass and drums, I had some guitar/synth chords in mind as well, but the DAW I was using, Sequel, made me pretty furious with is lack of will to co-operate with me, so I didn`t have enough time to add them dry.gif

Anyways, here goes smile.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  doriano.mp3 ( 3.18MB ) Number of downloads: 154

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 10 2009, 01:20 AM
Instructor
Magnus this backing track could work. It would have sounded better if you put some rhythm guitar part or some keys. Basic stuff just to fill in the blanks. I like the drums and bass somewhat. At some parts it sounds rushed a bit and out of time but overall you got the right feel for it.
I will post your 2nd assignment which will require you to record some rhythm part over it (perhaps fix bass a bit as well) and solo using Dorian mode.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Dec 10 2009, 12:00 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Yeah, the bass was pretty rushed in the take due to stress. I will fix that, and add some rhytm chords on my solo-backing smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 12 2009, 03:31 PM
Instructor
Hey Magnus!

We are moving onto your 2nd assignment for December. Since you already created backing track containing bass and drums for Dorian mode, I would like you to do the following :

- Add harmony part to it. It could be anything from rhythm guitar, piano/keyboard or string pads , choice is yours really.
- When you are done with this, record a solo of at least 16 bars with free solo approach.
- If you finish this on time you can then record at least 16 bars soloing with only chord tones!
- If you finish this on time you can then solo using tensions only!

Deadline for this assignment is 18th of December (6 days from today).

Let me know if you have any questions !

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Dec 15 2009, 12:24 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Alrighty!

With "chords note" only, you mean no "outside-the-box" notes or?

In example, since my backing is in B Dorian, will that mean I shall only use B - C# - D - E - F# - G# - A ?
And with tensions only, I have to admit I`m not sure what that means smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 15 2009, 01:31 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Dec 15 2009, 12:24 AM) *
Alrighty!

With "chords note" only, you mean no "outside-the-box" notes or?

In example, since my backing is in B Dorian, will that mean I shall only use B - C# - D - E - F# - G# - A ?
And with tensions only, I have to admit I`m not sure what that means smile.gif

Chord tone soloing is done by just using chord tones. So if you got B min 7 and E7 chords your chord tones are for B min 7 = B D F# A and for E7 = E G# B D . These are the only notes you should use when soloing over each chord. Hope that makes sense?
Tensions are opposite of chord tones! They are what we call some sort of 9 11 and 13. For B min7 tension 9 is C#, tension 11 is E and tension 13 is G#! For E7 tension 9 is F# , tension 11 is A (avoid tension) and tension 13 is C#!.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Dec 15 2009, 11:53 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Hmm, okay. I must study tension-based soloing, so not sure if I reach the deadline on that one, but I will be sure to complete the other two at least smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 15 2009, 01:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Dec 15 2009, 11:53 AM) *
Hmm, okay. I must study tension-based soloing, so not sure if I reach the deadline on that one, but I will be sure to complete the other two at least smile.gif

Well the assignment is to do 16 bars solo with free soloing approach. If you do that all these other approaches are extra ! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Dec 18 2009, 12:23 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Been a real busy week, so the solo ended up as nothing but some late-night jamming. I will try to write proper solos for the "bonus missions" now that I got some time off until next year. I also included a new, and hopefully better backingtrack (except way too much chorus) smile.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  hestesmell.wav ( 26.66MB ) Number of downloads: 133

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 19 2009, 01:10 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Dec 18 2009, 12:23 AM) *
Been a real busy week, so the solo ended up as nothing but some late-night jamming. I will try to write proper solos for the "bonus missions" now that I got some time off until next year. I also included a new, and hopefully better backingtrack (except way too much chorus) smile.gif

Magnus great! This is definitely better and your original backing track has improved a lot. Well done!

I will post your next assignment where you will need to solo using restrictions only. Stay tuned!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 20 2009, 05:55 PM
Instructor
Magnus we are moving on now to your 3rd, 4th and REC assignment. We got 11 days until the end of month and that is your deadline to fit all those in. Good news is your 3rd assignment will be used for REC while 4th one is extension of your 2nd assignment!

3rd assignment :

Triads in C major scale part 1

- Record video of Triads in C major scale part 1 lesson found HERE
- Use backing track provided in the thread when recording it.
- Try to apply left hand fingerings I applied but stick to right hand fingerings all the way.
- Upload video on Youtube and post it in this thread here.
- After you are done with it, submit it for REC program!

4th assignment :

Dorian mode backing and soloing

- Record a solo at least 16 bars (video and/or audio is both acceptable) using chord tones only from the given chords. So if your chord is B min7, you can only play notes B D F# A in any order or way you want. You also have a choice to play just some notes out of the chord, you don't have to play all of them!
- Post your work in this thread here.

Deadline for both assignments is 31st of December!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Pedja

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Dec 20 2009, 05:57 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  main_120bpm.mp3 ( 1.1MB ) Number of downloads: 114

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Dec 29 2009, 02:17 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Heres my take at your triads-lesson smile.gif

Thanks for the assignment, it`s things like this I`ve never really bothered to study, so I need someone to push me a bit tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 29 2009, 03:53 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Dec 29 2009, 02:17 AM) *
Heres my take at your triads-lesson smile.gif

Thanks for the assignment, it`s things like this I`ve never really bothered to study, so I need someone to push me a bit tongue.gif

Very well done!
Make sure you include Voting poll in your REC thread where you posted this wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jan 1 2010, 04:38 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Sorry that I have not completed my assignment yet, I`ve had major problems with my recording computer in the days after christmas. My brother is coming to help me tonight, so Hopefully I`ll be able to upload the solo within 24 hours

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 1 2010, 08:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Jan 1 2010, 04:38 PM) *
Sorry that I have not completed my assignment yet, I`ve had major problems with my recording computer in the days after christmas. My brother is coming to help me tonight, so Hopefully I`ll be able to upload the solo within 24 hours

Happy new year Magnus ! No worries, try to complete it all by tomorrow or day after wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jan 2 2010, 12:20 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
And a happy new year to you as wel Pedja! I have totally forgotten to say that to people when I meet them today, too tired after the night I guess smile.gif

I promise I`ll have it done within the weekend. I`m writing/trying out ideas now, so hopyfully I can be ready to record when arriving from work tomorrow biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:34 PM