4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Azures Bootcamp, Blood and Glory Awaits!
Todd Simpson
Mar 6 2021, 11:11 PM
GMC:er
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!
QUICK TIPS TO PREPARE YOU FOR BATTLE
*Make sure you get both hands in the shot when shooting your video*Make sure you use a metronome for the first several Missions and that the metronome can be heard.*After you complete a mission, shoot me a PM and let me know it's ready and I'll give you a debrief! These are pass / fail, so if you pass you BADGE UP and if not, I'll give you some feedback and you head in to the breach once again.
*The first several missions are VERY simple. They are just to get you used to the bootcamp process.
*Most importantly, there is NEVER a speed requirement in bootcamp. I want you to push yourself to play as brisk as you can, but NEVER at the expense of precision. If you find you are missing a note here and there, slow down a bit. Speed is just a byproduct of precision so my goal is to make you a very precise player. At that point, speed just happens.
MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SUPER PERFECT!. Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you, no points for speed, only points for playing in a precise manner as speed is simply a byproduct of precision) Shoot a video and post it as a reply to this post. Make sure to EMBED the video by clicking on INSERT SPECIAL ITEM above the smiley face and then you'll get a drop down menu. Click on INSERT YOUTUBE VIDEO and follow the instructions in the Pop Up Menu. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one at a speed you didn't think possible, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP! You will then proceed to Lesson #2 and so forth. Here is the link to the entire 400 plus Lesson Library. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...rtal:Techniques

Here is the link to your own PRIVATE HOUSE OF PAIN!...Er I mean.. SHRED!
http://bit.ly/azureusbootcamp

Practice!
Sarge

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 6 2021, 11:16 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
azureus
Mar 7 2021, 01:06 PM
[quote name='Todd Simpson' post='785786' date='Mar 6 2021, 11:11 PM']Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!
QUICK TIPS TO PREPARE YOU FOR BATTLE
*Make sure you get both hands in the shot when shooting your video*Make sure you use a metronome for the first several Missions and that the metronome can be heard.*After you complete a mission, shoot me a PM and let me know it's ready and I'll give you a debrief! These are pass / fail, so if you pass you BADGE UP and if not, I'll give you some feedback and you head in to the breach once again.
*The first several missions are VERY simple. They are just to get you used to the bootcamp process.
*Most importantly, there is NEVER a speed requirement in bootcamp. I want you to push yourself to play as brisk as you can, but NEVER at the expense of precision. If you find you are missing a note here and there, slow down a bit. Speed is just a byproduct of precision so my goal is to make you a very precise player. At that point, speed just happens.
MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SUPER PERFECT!. Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you, no points for speed, only points for playing in a precise manner as speed is simply a byproduct of precision) Shoot a video and post it as a reply to this post. Make sure to EMBED the video by clicking on INSERT SPECIAL ITEM above the smiley face and then you'll get a drop down menu. Click on INSERT YOUTUBE VIDEO and follow the instructions in the Pop Up Menu. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one at a speed you didn't think possible, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP! You will then proceed to Lesson #2 and so forth. Here is the link to the entire 400 plus Lesson Library. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...rtal:Techniques

Here is the link to your own PRIVATE HOUSE OF PAIN!...Er I mean.. SHRED!
http://bit.ly/azureusbootcamp

Practice!
Sarge[/quote

Hay Todd .. thank you for letting me into the boot camp .. there were a few upload errors huh huh .. but now it's okay ... here is nr 1 ...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by azureus: Mar 7 2021, 02:58 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 9 2021, 07:50 PM
Welcome to BOOTCAMP Soldier and congrats on your first Mission! Sometimes the first one is the most tricky but you nailed it! Good form all around. Your picking hand is firmly planted with a solid palm mute and your not using too much hand wag when making your strikes. It's nice and tight as it should be. Also, your pace is nice and smooth and keeping synch with the beat. This is very important. If the picking hand rushes / lags, it will throw everything off. You've got solid technique here and you are moving at a very good pace! In coming Missions we are going to add a bit more left hand work in to things and I think you are more than ready! You are off to a great start Soldier! Keep it up!

For vids, doing an EMBED is the way to go. Click on INSERT SPECIAL ITEM in the top left, and copy/paste the link from youtube as you did. That way your thread will serve as a way to track your progress for both of us without needing to download things. we can just hit play. Well done!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

+Quote Post
azureus
Mar 9 2021, 07:56 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 9 2021, 07:50 PM) *
Welcome to BOOTCAMP Soldier and congrats on your first Mission! Sometimes the first one is the most tricky but you nailed it! Good form all around. Your picking hand is firmly planted with a solid palm mute and your not using too much hand wag when making your strikes. It's nice and tight as it should be. Also, your pace is nice and smooth and keeping synch with the beat. This is very important. If the picking hand rushes / lags, it will throw everything off. You've got solid technique here and you are moving at a very good pace! In coming Missions we are going to add a bit more left hand work in to things and I think you are more than ready! You are off to a great start Soldier! Keep it up!

For vids, doing an EMBED is the way to go. Click on INSERT SPECIAL ITEM in the top left, and copy/paste the link from youtube as you did. That way your thread will serve as a way to track your progress for both of us without needing to download things. we can just hit play. Well done!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

THANK YOU TODD... smile.gif

+Quote Post
azureus
Mar 10 2021, 12:52 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 9 2021, 07:50 PM) *

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

Nr 2 Todd

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 11 2021, 05:17 AM
Soldier your palm mute is solid and your hand synch is top notch!! Also your pace is very good and your playing is high and tight. It's what I like to see! The only issue I notice is that your picking has changed just a bit from Mission 1. In the first mission your pick strikes were a bit tighter in terms of hand wag (hand movement away from the string after each pick strike). Take a look at your video for mission 1 and watch this one. See if you can see what I'm talking about. Ideally, you only want to use enough pick power to activate the string and stay very close to string for the next strike. Your pick hand looks like it's working too hard here. Picking with a lighter touch is part of where brisk pace comes from. It's not back picking technique, here, it's solid. It's just not ideal for working up to shred speed. For this type of work, very little hand wag and as light a strike as you can manage and still make a good sound is ideal. What is the string gauge on this axe and are you using a 1.00mm or heavier very pointy pick? Using lighter gauge strings and a very hard very sharp pick will help train your hand for what we are heading for smile.gif After you have trained the hand, you can switch back to soft picks and heavy strings and it won't matter.

Give me one more of these with a bit lighter/tighter picking pattern soldier!!! We are prepping you to shred!!

Sarge

QUOTE (azureus @ Mar 10 2021, 07:52 AM) *
Nr 2 Todd

+Quote Post
azureus
Mar 11 2021, 12:06 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 11 2021, 05:17 AM) *
Soldier your palm mute is solid and your hand synch is top notch!! Also your pace is very good and your playing is high and tight. It's what I like to see! The only issue I notice is that your picking has changed just a bit from Mission 1. In the first mission your pick strikes were a bit tighter in terms of hand wag (hand movement away from the string after each pick strike). Take a look at your video for mission 1 and watch this one. See if you can see what I'm talking about. Ideally, you only want to use enough pick power to activate the string and stay very close to string for the next strike. Your pick hand looks like it's working too hard here. Picking with a lighter touch is part of where brisk pace comes from. It's not back picking technique, here, it's solid. It's just not ideal for working up to shred speed. For this type of work, very little hand wag and as light a strike as you can manage and still make a good sound is ideal. What is the string gauge on this axe and are you using a 1.00mm or heavier very pointy pick? Using lighter gauge strings and a very hard very sharp pick will help train your hand for what we are heading for smile.gif After you have trained the hand, you can switch back to soft picks and heavy strings and it won't matter.

Give me one more of these with a bit lighter/tighter picking pattern soldier!!! We are prepping you to shred!!

Sarge

Thank you Todd ... yes it was true! .. I have to focus on that picking hand or I will soon revert to the old habit that I did for 35 yrs pfff ... but that's why I'm here ha ha ... I hope that this take is better! .... I have 08 .... 38 strings on it! ... and the plectrum is jim dunlop xh BUT I filed the point round because a sharp point doesn't go well at all ... sorry! ....greetings

QUOTE (azureus @ Mar 11 2021, 12:05 PM) *
Thank you Todd ... yes it was true! .. I have to focus on that picking hand or I will soon revert to the old habit that I did for 35 yrs pfff ... but that's why I'm here ha ha ... I hope that this take is better! .... I have 08 .... 38 strings on it! ... and the plectrum is jim dunlop xh BUT I filed the point round because a sharp point doesn't go well at all ... sorry! ....greetings

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 12 2021, 06:30 AM
This one is better soldier! your using a minimum of hand wag and you are using good wrist/finger motion and keeping a solid mute. All the elements are there. Also, your using a great pick! It's a secret of shredding that one needs to use a pick with no flex/bend to it and it needs a very sharp point. The trick is to choke up on the pick with your grip until only the very tip is sticking out and that's what should address the string. Just the very pointy tip gently grazing over the string. Using a light touch is also important. Finding that sweet spot takes some time. Your form is good here but I see that you are using just a pinch too much force on each strike. This will burn your hand out if you shred for extended periods. You've got this Mission sorted and are ready for the next one Soldier! On the next one, keep this good form up and but try to pick with a pinch less force. Find that sweet spot where you are using as little pick pressure as humanly possible. Focus on keeping your hand loose. Don't worry about speed yet, just focus on using as little pick pressure as you can. Your doing great so far Soldier! Keep it up!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (azureus @ Mar 11 2021, 07:06 AM) *

+Quote Post
azureus
Mar 14 2021, 03:08 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 12 2021, 06:30 AM) *
This one is better soldier! your using a minimum of hand wag and you are using good wrist/finger motion and keeping a solid mute. All the elements are there. Also, your using a great pick! It's a secret of shredding that one needs to use a pick with no flex/bend to it and it needs a very sharp point. The trick is to choke up on the pick with your grip until only the very tip is sticking out and that's what should address the string. Just the very pointy tip gently grazing over the string. Using a light touch is also important. Finding that sweet spot takes some time. Your form is good here but I see that you are using just a pinch too much force on each strike. This will burn your hand out if you shred for extended periods. You've got this Mission sorted and are ready for the next one Soldier! On the next one, keep this good form up and but try to pick with a pinch less force. Find that sweet spot where you are using as little pick pressure as humanly possible. Focus on keeping your hand loose. Don't worry about speed yet, just focus on using as little pick pressure as you can. Your doing great so far Soldier! Keep it up!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

Hay Todd ...this is nr 4......greetings rolleyes.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 15 2021, 05:00 AM
Well Fought Soldier! This is a very creative way to to this Mission. I like the way you made it your own and still accomplished the goals of the Mission! You have a good approach here and your picking is solid. Your using good technique here and keeping yoru hand wag to a minimum. You are keeping a very solid pace and not rushing or lagging. Also, it looks like you are not overcommiting to any one pick strike. You have a solid palm mute and you show very good pinky power when traversing strings. You are in tight synch with the beat here. It's very solid technique so congrats!! For the next one, focus your eyes on your picking hand. Watch your strikes. See if you can use even less strike power per pick strike. See is you can use even less of the picks surface area. Reduce the part of the pick hitting the string to the very very very tip of the pick. You are already doing this but I want you to push it even further. The hand should look relaxed as a relaxed hand can have killer stamina.

check out this vid at 2:29. I'm doing a single string picking lick. Take a look at my picking hand. Very little pick wag and very relaxed. Just enough tension to keep from dropping the pick. The body will try to tense up as you pick faster. Learning how to fight it is the challenge that we face which stops us from reaching Picking Paradise. smile.gif

Well fought Soldier!!

You just...

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (azureus @ Mar 14 2021, 10:08 AM) *

Hay Todd ...this is nr 4......greetings rolleyes.gif smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 15 2021, 05:13 AM

+Quote Post
azureus
Mar 15 2021, 03:31 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 15 2021, 05:00 AM) *
Well Fought Soldier! This is a very creative way to to this Mission. I like the way you made it your own and still accomplished the goals of the Mission! You have a good approach here and your picking is solid. Your using good technique here and keeping yoru hand wag to a minimum. You are keeping a very solid pace and not rushing or lagging. Also, it looks like you are not overcommiting to any one pick strike. You have a solid palm mute and you show very good pinky power when traversing strings. You are in tight synch with the beat here. It's very solid technique so congrats!! For the next one, focus your eyes on your picking hand. Watch your strikes. See if you can use even less strike power per pick strike. See is you can use even less of the picks surface area. Reduce the part of the pick hitting the string to the very very very tip of the pick. You are already doing this but I want you to push it even further. The hand should look relaxed as a relaxed hand can have killer stamina.

check out this vid at 2:29. I'm doing a single string picking lick. Take a look at my picking hand. Very little pick wag and very relaxed. Just enough tension to keep from dropping the pick. The body will try to tense up as you pick faster. Learning how to fight it is the challenge that we face which stops us from reaching Picking Paradise. smile.gif

Well fought Soldier!!

You just...

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

Hay Todd
Yes a nice piece from you

Here is nr 5 greetings

QUOTE (azureus @ Mar 15 2021, 03:25 PM) *
Hay Todd

Here is nr 5 greetings

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 15 2021, 11:52 PM
Dude! Did you watch this vid after you made it? Make sure to put them all in a playlist on youtube so you can track your progress. This is just awesome! in only a few missions you have made great strides on your picking. I don't know if you noticed this but YOU ARE FULL ON SHREDDING in this vid. Let's debrief.

I'm looking close at your hand and it's getting better each time! You have a good palm mute and you don't lift at any time which is great. You keep a very solid sense of timing so your picking isn't rushing or lagging. Great stuff! I can see you are lightening up a bit on your pick strike intensity. Keep doing that. See how little tension you can keep in your pick hand without dropping the pick. That's usually how you know the hand is too loose smile.gif Each strike should be just barely hitting the string. With a bit of distortion, the string will react even with a very light touch.

You got this Soldier! You are ready for whats next!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (azureus @ Mar 15 2021, 10:31 AM) *
Hay Todd

Here is nr 5 greetings

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 16 2021, 01:26 AM

+Quote Post
azureus
Mar 16 2021, 02:48 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 15 2021, 11:52 PM) *
Dude! Did you watch this vid after you made it? Make sure to put them all in a playlist on youtube so you can track your progress. This is just awesome! in only a few missions you have made great strides on your picking. I don't know if you noticed this but YOU ARE FULL ON SHREDDING in this vid. Let's debrief.

I'm looking close at your hand and it's getting better each time! You have a good palm mute and you don't lift at any time which is great. You keep a very solid sense of timing so your picking isn't rushing or lagging. Great stuff! I can see you are lightening up a bit on your pick strike intensity. Keep doing that. See how little tension you can keep in your pick hand without dropping the pick. That's usually how you know the hand is too loose smile.gif Each strike should be just barely hitting the string. With a bit of distortion, the string will react even with a very light touch.

You got this Soldier! You are ready for whats next!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

Hay Todd
When it is slow control is more difficult!

QUOTE (azureus @ Mar 16 2021, 02:47 PM) *
Hay Todd

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 16 2021, 10:20 PM
This is cool Soldier but in the video I can see, (there are two one is just a black square) you are not playing the mission as written. You can play it in a song or with a backing, but in bootcamp you gotta play it as it's written. Thats a cool pedal point lick but it's not the one for this mission. The one for this mission has a HUGE stretch in it which is the point of the mission. You can play it slow, speed will come later. But you gotta try to play it as it sits Soldier.

Once more in to the breach!!

Sarge

QUOTE (azureus @ Mar 16 2021, 09:48 AM) *
Hay Todd

+Quote Post
azureus
Mar 17 2021, 11:40 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 16 2021, 10:20 PM) *
This is cool Soldier but in the video I can see, (there are two one is just a black square) you are not playing the mission as written. You can play it in a song or with a backing, but in bootcamp you gotta play it as it's written. Thats a cool pedal point lick but it's not the one for this mission. The one for this mission has a HUGE stretch in it which is the point of the mission. You can play it slow, speed will come later. But you gotta try to play it as it sits Soldier.

Once more in to the breach!!

Sarge

Sorry for the previous Todd .. I thought it was just the pedaltone! .. and the black is sometimes the upload does not work .. then there is an error! ... greeting smile.gif

This post has been edited by azureus: Mar 17 2021, 11:41 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 18 2021, 05:26 AM
Better! This is the lick as written. Good job on the big hand stretch needed! The only errors i'm seeing are how that you are using the stretch your pinky is having trouble hitting the note cleanly. The other notes are very clean, just the pinky needs work. Also, your going a bit to deep beyond the string each time you pick. As this is bootcamp, it's all about trying to help you get your form up to snuff so that future missions don't seem impossible.

Try this one last time and make these change.

1.)Sit in classical position with your guitar on your LEFT leg, not your right leg. Put your left foot on a stack of books six or eight inches high. This will change the angle of your hands and make playing easier. It will seem odd at first but will save you in the long term.

2.)Look at your picking hand. Don't look at your fretting hand. if you need to slow the lick down in order to do so, that's ok. Speed is not a factor yet. We are just working on form. Look at your pick hand.

3.)While looking at your pick hand make sure that each strike is as shallow as possible. Only just touch the tip of the pick to the string. Don't let it go any deeper. You can buy a pick called the STYLUS PICK which is useless for traverse but will train your hand in proper pick depth during a strike. It's what allowed me to finally shred.

Once more in to the br

QUOTE (azureus @ Mar 17 2021, 06:40 AM) *

Sorry for the previous Todd .. I thought it was just the pedaltone! .. and the black is sometimes the upload does not work .. then there is an error! ... greeting smile.gif

+Quote Post
azureus
Mar 18 2021, 01:53 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 18 2021, 05:26 AM) *
Better! This is the lick as written. Good job on the big hand stretch needed! The only errors i'm seeing are how that you are using the stretch your pinky is having trouble hitting the note cleanly. The other notes are very clean, just the pinky needs work. Also, your going a bit to deep beyond the string each time you pick. As this is bootcamp, it's all about trying to help you get your form up to snuff so that future missions don't seem impossible.

Try this one last time and make these change.

1.)Sit in classical position with your guitar on your LEFT leg, not your right leg. Put your left foot on a stack of books six or eight inches high. This will change the angle of your hands and make playing easier. It will seem odd at first but will save you in the long term.

2.)Look at your picking hand. Don't look at your fretting hand. if you need to slow the lick down in order to do so, that's ok. Speed is not a factor yet. We are just working on form. Look at your pick hand.

3.)While looking at your pick hand make sure that each strike is as shallow as possible. Only just touch the tip of the pick to the string. Don't let it go any deeper. You can buy a pick called the STYLUS PICK which is useless for traverse but will train your hand in proper pick depth during a strike. It's what allowed me to finally shred.

Once more in to the br

Hay Todd
Yes I have used the stylus pick in the past but no success .. I am now practicing with the thick duguih I posted before .. well it's an old habit hard to break! .. but I feel when it goes fast I do it better .. but it will come! huh huh

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 20 2021, 07:23 AM
This particular lick is perfect for the stylus pick since it's on one string only. if you have a stylus, try it with this lick smile.gif You did well on this one!! Pinky power is solid, pace is good. The mute is allowing just a pinch of string noise but nothing that can't be sorted out as we go. I can tell you are still going a bit too deep on each pick strike. You are using good hand motion here. not too much pick wag. Your getting better with each Mission Soldier. keep it up!! Focus your eyes on your pick hand so that you can see if you are going too deep. Just the very tip of the pick is all that's needed and the sharper your pick the better. Onward and upward!!

You just...

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (azureus @ Mar 18 2021, 08:53 AM) *

Hay Todd
Yes I have used the stylus pick in the past but no success .. I am now practicing with the thick duguih I posted before .. well it's an old habit hard to break! .. but I feel when it goes fast I do it better .. but it will come! huh huh

+Quote Post
azureus
Mar 20 2021, 12:26 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 20 2021, 07:23 AM) *
This particular lick is perfect for the stylus pick since it's on one string only. if you have a stylus, try it with this lick smile.gif You did well on this one!! Pinky power is solid, pace is good. The mute is allowing just a pinch of string noise but nothing that can't be sorted out as we go. I can tell you are still going a bit too deep on each pick strike. You are using good hand motion here. not too much pick wag. Your getting better with each Mission Soldier. keep it up!! Focus your eyes on your pick hand so that you can see if you are going too deep. Just the very tip of the pick is all that's needed and the sharper your pick the better. Onward and upward!!

You just...

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

Hay Todd ...here is nr 7 and 8....greetings smile.gif

QUOTE (azureus @ Mar 20 2021, 12:24 PM) *

Hay Todd ...here is nr 7....greetings smile.gif

This post has been edited by azureus: Mar 21 2021, 01:05 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 22 2021, 06:24 AM
I spent a LOT of time watching these Soldier and I think I've Isolated the issue. It happens when you traverse up to the next higer string from the lower string. In both drills, when you traverse up to the higher string, you often actually skip picking the note prior to the traverse. So the note before you move to the higher string, your fret hand frets the note, and your picking hand doesn't pick it. It moves to pick the note on the next string. I'm not sure if you are even aware you are doing this. It seesm more in EIGHT than in SEVEN and it seems not every time but now and then. I also notice a slight studder when you are making the traverse to the higher string. Almost as if your pick hand isn't sure whether it should be doing an up or down stroke. Also, It sounds like you are using the NECK pickup on one or both of these. That's what made it tough to hear at first.

Please don't the neck pickup in bootcamp. If at all possible, always try to use the bridge pickup so that I can actually hear the pick hitting the strings.

If you use the bass/neck pickup, it reduces my ability to hear the pick actually doing the picking and makes it much harder for me to diagnose what is going on. Once I slowed the playback down to .5 percent, I was able to see that your picking hand was skipping out on picking the note prior to the traverse. This is an Alternate Picking drill that starts with a down stroke. Unless otherwise noted, ALL picking drills will start with a down stroke.

I must take issue with my own efforts here soldier as I'm looking at the NUMBER SEVEN tablature and it doesn't have any pick notation on it. I'm going to re do the tablature for this one and place it here in this post and have it replaced in the BOOTCAMP section as well. I also noticed that when I click on DOWNLOAD TAB that nothing seems to download. This too will be fixed. Also, I notice it looks like you are playing on the wrong strings for mission EIGHT, but we will get there as we go. First, let's work on MISSION SEVEN.

Try this one more time and do it a bit more slowly. Follow these instructions.

1.)Use the Bridge pickup, always.
2.)Try to play along with a metronome if possible. If it's not possible we will work around it.
3.)Use strict alternate picking. Start with downstroke, then up stroke, etc.
4.)Pick every single note.
5.)Slow down a bit. Speed is less important here than precision.

Don't worry about moving this one up and down the fretboard for now soldier, just play it in one place. Let's sort this one out and then see where we are.

Onward!!
Sarge

NEW VERSION OF MISSION 7

Attached File  7.gp5 ( 1.77K ) Number of downloads: 438

Attached Image

QUOTE (azureus @ Mar 20 2021, 07:26 AM) *

Hay Todd ...here is nr 7 and 8....greetings smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 22 2021, 06:57 AM

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:31 PM