Can I Isolate Guitar Tracks Logic Pro X
dcz702
Sep 21 2015, 06:48 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
hi guys been awhile since i been here.
ive got 4 tracks from a band here in vegas, that was looking for another guitar player, i put up some covers and recs i did and they invited me to play and come up with lead parts.
i know the keys of all songs and got some ideas, now im trying to pick apart some sections of there songs, can i somehow mute the bass, drums and vocals using logic x?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 21 2015, 08:17 AM
GMC Founder
Hey dcz - welcome back!

Unless you got all the individual tracks (guitars, bass, drums etc) - then there is no easy way to mute a specific instrument.

You can experiment with EQ or multipressor plugin to target certain frequencies and get rid off them. There are also more advanced techniques utilising phase cancellation etc.

There are also stand alone software just for muting vocals - but I have never tried them.

Maybe the easiest option is for you to just gradually turn the volume of the backing track down as you get more comfortable playing over the songs?

You could lower the backing volume while you leave the logic metronome on. If you need to figure out the song tempo, logic has a plugin for that (Metering > bpm counter)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 21 2015, 02:09 PM
GMC:er
Including what Kris wrote, start with this to separatly listen to mono or stereo side of mix; http://www.voxengo.com/product/msed/

Ozone for example on its multicompressor can mute bands, this helps to get strong filtering as eq plug-ins usually try to be musically gentle maybe logic has something like this? Good Luck! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Sep 21 2015, 02:09 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 21 2015, 10:55 PM
Todd here smile.gif I"m a big fan of LOGIC X. Maybe I can help? Do you have the "stems" E.g. Individual tracks or are you just working with a stereo file like a wave or mp3 or something?

If you have the stems, you can simply turn down the volume on the tracks you don't want to hear. If you are working with a mixed track, where all the tracks are baked together, things get a lot more tricky. Maybe we can work backwards from this. Why are you trying to mute certain bits? And do you have the stems?

Todd

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Sep 21 2015, 01:48 AM) *
hi guys been awhile since i been here.
ive got 4 tracks from a band here in vegas, that was looking for another guitar player, i put up some covers and recs i did and they invited me to play and come up with lead parts.
i know the keys of all songs and got some ideas, now im trying to pick apart some sections of there songs, can i somehow mute the bass, drums and vocals using logic x?

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 22 2015, 08:00 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Mertay @ Sep 21 2015, 03:09 PM) *
Ozone for example on its multicompressor can mute bands, this helps to get strong filtering as eq plug-ins usually try to be musically gentle maybe logic has something like this? Good Luck! smile.gif

Yes there is a multiband compressor included in logic, its called "multipressor".

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Sep 22 2015, 12:10 PM
Learning Tone Master
I , would not be so fast as to get rid of other "parts" of a song. What makes a song a song , usually is that everything flows together. You can write a killer solo and put it with the rest of the band , and everyone's looking at you like what are you doing.
You already got the call back( no need to try to impress with flashy things ), but , they want to know how you will mesh and complete the band.

I always like soloing around what the singer is doing, bring in some of the stronger melody lines into the solo. You ( and me ) will never be able impress people compared to whats on the internet , but you can darn sure be the best guitarist for that band if you complete the band ( I have to stop watching chick flicks with the wife). Dcz 702 you complete us ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 22 2015, 12:22 PM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Sep 22 2015, 11:10 AM) *
( I have to stop watching chick flicks with the wife). Dcz 702 you complete us ohmy.gif

biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:47 AM