2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Scalloping A Neck
USAMAN
Feb 16 2008, 10:41 AM
GMC:er
Did you do the scallop job yourself?
I was thinking about going further with the one on my rga 121.

1. Is there any special way you kept the depth of the scallops uniform along the entire neck?
2. Have you ever seen a scalloped wizard neck. The reason I ask is its pretty thin to start with and taking more meat off of the neck has me questioning if its a good idea or not.

Peace.
Patrick.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Feb 16 2008, 11:23 AM
Instructor
Hi Patrick,

Yes, I did the scallop myself. smile.gif
Here's a good tutorial: http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/scal1.htm

I don't want the scallop to be as deep on the upper side, as on the lower side (under the high E string). But I just used my eyes for that! I guess you could mark the "correct" depth with a pencil, as they do in that tutorial. But I'm too lazy for that biggrin.gif

Someone once told me that if you scallop a thin neck, it could break. I guess it sounds reasonable since we're in fact taking away some meat off the neck. However, I've done it several times on thin Ibanez necks and never had any problems. If you're concerned about this, then start with a small scallop. You really don't have to go that deep to get the "scallop effect" (easier vibrato & legato) anyway smile.gif

Marcus

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by lavendell: Feb 16 2008, 11:24 AM

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Patrik Jezierski
Feb 16 2008, 05:00 PM
QUOTE (lavendell @ Feb 16 2008, 11:23 AM) *
Hi Patrick,

Yes, I did the scallop myself. smile.gif
Here's a good tutorial: http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/scal1.htm

I don't want the scallop to be as deep on the upper side, as on the lower side (under the high E string). But I just used my eyes for that! I guess you could mark the "correct" depth with a pencil, as they do in that tutorial. But I'm too lazy for that biggrin.gif

Someone once told me that if you scallop a thin neck, it could break. I guess it sounds reasonable since we're in fact taking away some meat off the neck. However, I've done it several times on thin Ibanez necks and never had any problems. If you're concerned about this, then start with a small scallop. You really don't have to go that deep to get the "scallop effect" (easier vibrato & legato) anyway smile.gif

Marcus

Hej Marcus! smile.gif
Did you scalloped the whole fretboard? or just some of em? I was thinking about scalloping my strat cause I have real problem doing vibratos on the higher frets. but I'm quite unsure though, cause I've heard that it's hard to do chords if you have a fully scalloped fretboard. Is this why you, I quote, "I don't want the scallop to be as deep on the upper side, as on the lower side (under the high E string)" ?

It would be really great if you could share some of your thoughts, and maybe if you please could take som close pictures in different angles of your strat neck (the scalloped one of course tongue.gif) It would be soo helpfull smile.gif

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Feb 16 2008, 08:51 PM
Finished it last night 4 am to 8 am...(Im a little manic).

Aching fingers......
All I used was two different sized round files. I decided to practice on an old Warmoth neck I had laying around. It came out great...Malmsteen would be proud.
I did all 21 frets. True to experience a dot at the 12th fret fell out.....replaced it with a piece of black pick (thanks Marcus). It took 4 hours to complete the job. I should have documented the process. However, I can post some pics of the finished project later.
I plan on changing the profile of the back of the neck as well. It was a Warmoth boat neck and I want to put it on a diet.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Feb 16 2008, 08:59 PM
Instructor
yeah, I scalloped my freatboard and it's really good !!! I think I can play faster and doing a great bends !!! It's really helpful for me this kind of frets biggrin.gif

I try to record a 'How to scallop your freatboard' lesson wink.gif (I will do it to my old guitar, hehe)

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Feb 16 2008, 10:22 PM
QUOTE (USAMAN @ Feb 16 2008, 08:51 PM) *
I plan on changing the profile of the back of the neck as well. It was a Warmoth boat neck and I want to put it on a diet.

I've been thinking about this too but I've been afraid that the neck could get too weak and curve to much?

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Feb 17 2008, 08:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Patrik Jezierski @ Feb 16 2008, 05:00 PM) *
I've heard that it's hard to do chords if you have a fully scalloped fretboard. Is this why you, I quote, "I don't want the scallop to be as deep on the upper side, as on the lower side (under the high E string)" ?

Tjena Patrik! smile.gif

I've also heard some people say that it's harder to play chords when it's fully scalloped. - But I don't agree at all! Those guys are just not used to play on scalloped fretboards, and I think they press down the strings the same way as if it wasn't scalloped. That's the thing, you can't do that because it will just go out of tune. You have to press it with a lighter touch smile.gif

The reason I don't scallop as deep on the upper side is because I (personally) like to feel a little bit of the neck when I play rhythm parts. And I often don't need to do a heavy vibrato on the low e-string, so there's no need for the same deep scallop smile.gif

I'll see If I can take some photos and upload it here!

-Marcus

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Feb 17 2008, 09:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (USAMAN @ Feb 16 2008, 08:51 PM) *
It took 4 hours to complete the job.

21 frets - in 4 hours?! Wow, that must be a record!! Well done:D

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
Patrik Jezierski
Feb 18 2008, 06:52 AM
QUOTE (lavendell @ Feb 17 2008, 08:59 PM) *
Tjena Patrik! smile.gif

I've also heard some people say that it's harder to play chords when it's fully scalloped. - But I don't agree at all! Those guys are just not used to play on scalloped fretboards, and I think they press down the strings the same way as if it wasn't scalloped. That's the thing, you can't do that because it will just go out of tune. You have to press it with a lighter touch smile.gif

The reason I don't scallop as deep on the upper side is because I (personally) like to feel a little bit of the neck when I play rhythm parts. And I often don't need to do a heavy vibrato on the low e-string, so there's no need for the same deep scallop smile.gif

I'll see If I can take some photos and upload it here!

-Marcus

Thanks for the fast answer marcus!
I think I've got a little more kött på bena when it comes to scalloping smile.gif
Cool! It would be awsome if you could upload them!
thanks again!

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Feb 18 2008, 11:31 PM
QUOTE (lavendell @ Feb 17 2008, 09:02 PM) *
21 frets - in 4 hours?! Wow, that must be a record!! Well done:D

I still cant feel my forefinger..the tip is numb.
I reshaped the back of the neck last night. I might go a little thinner near the nut. Im just afraid to go to far and find the truss rod. Its fun to play around with but the jury is still out. I'll post what I think about scalloped necks in a week or so. Its gonna take some getting use to.

--------------------

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Feb 18 2008, 11:50 PM
Hey marcus...
can you post a pic of the scallop job on your guitar neck (from the side).
I would like to see the depth of the scallops on your neck. 1-21 if possible.
Thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Feb 18 2008, 11:58 PM
What size files did you use man?

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Feb 19 2008, 12:11 AM
scallop:
1/4" round and around 3/8 round.
100 grit sand paper
400 sand paper.

neck reprofile:
a nasty looking rasp with big teeth. Tore it down in no time.
sanded it out in progressive steps.

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Feb 19 2008, 12:18 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (USAMAN @ Feb 18 2008, 06:11 PM) *
scallop:
1/4" round and around 3/8 round.
100 grit sand paper
400 sand paper.

neck reprofile:
a nasty looking rasp with big teeth. Tore it down in no time.
sanded it out in progressive steps.

Sounds painful. ph34r.gif I don't think I could do that to my baby. Like to see a pic if you get a chance.

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Feb 19 2008, 12:42 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Feb 19 2008, 12:18 AM) *
Sounds painful. ph34r.gif I don't think I could do that to my baby. Like to see a pic if you get a chance.

Its a mutt of a guitar.
Warmoth neck
Charvel body
Gibson Dirty fingers pick up (1981 original)
spray can evh paint job...basically the whole guitar is spare parts.
plays nice though.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Feb 19 2008, 02:21 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks for the pics. That pretty cool. EVH ROCK!

Looks like you went a little deeper from the 12 fret down to 22 and just a litlle form 12 up. Thats probably what I would of done to.

Nice Job! Can't wait to hear it and read what you think.

Rock on Little Eddie. smile.gif

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Feb 19 2008, 02:45 AM
Learning Rock Star
So im lost, could I just scallop one of my giutars by myself right now if I wanted? huh.gif

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Feb 19 2008, 02:57 AM
QUOTE (Stevie·Ray·Vaughn @ Feb 19 2008, 02:45 AM) *
So im lost, could I just scallop one of my giutars by myself right now if I wanted? huh.gif

Well that depends
if it turns into firewood will it bother you?
Thats the ultimate question. I did it to an old neck i wasnt using. I highly suggest practicing on a pile of junk...you may turn it into a jewel

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Feb 19 2008, 02:59 AM
Learning Rock Star
Ahh thanks. I may wait then, as I am planning on building a guitar out of second-hand pieces in the future smile.gif Thanks

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Feb 19 2008, 08:38 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (USAMAN @ Feb 19 2008, 12:42 AM) *
Its a mutt of a guitar.
Warmoth neck
Charvel body
Gibson Dirty fingers pick up (1981 original)
spray can evh paint job...basically the whole guitar is spare parts.
plays nice though.

Great job! The scallop looks beautiful smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:17 PM