8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Velvet Roger - Mentored By Muris, CLOSED
Velvet Roger
Feb 17 2009, 09:56 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Muris,

In this post I will try to give you some idea on my current status, my background, goals, problems etc.

Background
My name is Roger, am from the Netherlands, 33 years old, and I have been playing the guitar effectively for about a year back in the early '90s, however lacked completely a proper lesson-plan etc etc. I was basically just trying to hit the strings and get proper sounds out of it (which to a certain extend even worked tongue.gif ). After this, I remained playing very minimal (sometimes once a month) for another 2 years, but then the guitars went to the attic.

Since about 1.5 years I have picked up my guitars again, and decided that this time things would go differently. I took lessons (which is extremely helpful getting the theory linked to the actual playing), but somehow it did not give me full joy. I came across GMC a while ago and since then I have developed myself quite a bit due to all the lessons, very valuable forum info and also the collabs. Since about 5 months I also play in a band, and am starting to write material for it smile.gif

Besides playing the guitar, I have been frequently involved in playing music (piano, keyboards, drums), which certainly is helpful for rhythmic feeling etc.

I am interested in quite a few musical styles of which Jazz, Blues, Funk, Rock and Hard Rock are the most important ones. However, I would very much like to get more into other styles as I believe it will make me a better musician in the end.

Current status & problems
I have progressed quite considerably during the last couple of months, due the extreme increase in practicing and making it more focussed and organised. Generally speaking you can also notice this in the collabs I took part in (maybe not in all, but there is a certain line going upwards tongue.gif ).

Techniques
In terms of techniques I practiced most of them already on a regular basis, however there are a couple of technical points which require a lot of attention currently:

- Vibrato (no. 1 for sure)
- Bending
- Sweep picking
- Alternate picking (higher speeds)

Basically, the main objective for technique I have put myself in the forthcoming weeks is to actually achieve a controlled vibrato throughout a solo/song which is confident and contributing to the 'feeling' of the thing I am playing.

Nevertheless, besides vibrato and controlled bending, I would also really make some progress in really developing sweep picking and arpeggiated alternate picking runs at higher speeds.

In terms of rhythm playing, I am currently learning more and more chord shapes, however I would like to implement combining these chords with lead lines (hybrid picking), especially developing them in my own music (example I quite like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSM3FL7zUdw).

Although I would like to be able to playing some very fast runs if required, my ultimate goal is to become a good musician, and playing speed should only be a tool to reach that goal.

In terms of timing I could also learn quite a lot, although people keep telling me that I have quite a good feel for rhythm.

Theory
Theory wise, I am currently at a stage that I know e.g. the 7 3 nps boxes of the major modes, working on the harmonic minor scale currently and trying to connect all those boxes (e.g. sliding shapes through 3 boxes etc) to have proper fretboard knowledge instantly when improvising. It's really getting better and better due to a much structured approach.

Also, things as which chords to use with which modes, playing around chords, more jazz-related theory is something I am quite far in I guess (due to having teaching from a jazz player I guess tongue.gif ). But I certainly can learn loads more!!!!!

My major goal in terms of theory in relation to my playing would be to effectively being able to improvise on the spot using different modes. Part of this would also be developing a proper ear training to recognize all intervals.

A couple of key video's recorded in order of recording

20 Oct 2008 - Slow Blues Improv (first video recorded ever, quite happy with the licks produced, timing could have been better)

14 Dec 2008 - Christmas Rock Improv (was very happy at the time with the used techniques, maybe a bit simple here and there)

24 Jan 2009 - Stop Blues Improv (being able to switch relatively easy between the pentatonic boxes, not good use of vibrato)

12 Feb 2009 - Lick Construction Improv (achieved a fair level of picking speed and melodic/chord following improvisation, not very well controlled vibrato)

15 Feb 2009 - Fusion Jam Improv (not happy at all technique wise (vibrato/bending), first video in which I used a bit of sweep picking (yay tongue.gif ), timing could have been better, composing wise I am quite happy to actually compose something which is following chords, using arpeggios etc.)

Current lesson of Muris to practice
I started with the Phrygian Soloing - Intermediate, 2 weeks ago, learned the notes but then stopped it due to all the collabs etc and some personal things. Nevertheless will start this one up again tonight (update: can play the whole thing a bit sloppy at 60 bpm now). I noticed that some of the faster parts (legato + alternate picking are giving quite some problems).

Overall goal in the MTP
Improve myself as a musician and playing the guitar, which means that I will be able to make well thought own composed music which goes a bit further than the standard ABC. Furthermore, as part of this I would like to develop heavily my technique as this is definitely one of my weak spots currently (and that also limits my speed and other aspects of my playing).

I am extremely motivated to really make this one of the best experiences in my guitar playing life ever, and looking forward to start working with you Muris smile.gif

If you wanna know any more details, just ask as I will probably have forgotten quite some stuff smile.gif

Cheers
Roger

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Muris Varajic: Oct 23 2009, 04:29 PM

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 19 2009, 01:21 PM
Instructor
Hey Roger. smile.gif

Watching all those clips I noticed that
you're pretty much of bluesy player which is great!

Here are 2 lessons that might fit your needs nicely.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-blues-soloing/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...bending-lesson/

You'll find lots of bends and vibrato in those lessons
which is probably most important in blues playing.
Good thing is, it's not only one pentatonic scale up and down,
I tried so incorporate couple of scales into simple blues progression
and I hope you'll find that useful as well.

Let me know if you have any questions tho,
I'll be looking forward to your takes on those 2 lessons
in lets say 7 days.

Have a good time practicing! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Feb 19 2009, 01:43 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks Muris,

I will get on those lessons immediately tonight.

Just something I like to mention is that I actually want to progress to not be only a blues player (most of the collabs however had blues in it smile.gif ) and I won't to move more into fusion/rock in the future as well. But regardless of that, I need to work big time on bending/vibrato so these lessons will be great!

Should I also produce a take on the phrygian intermediate lesson within 7 days, as it may be difficult to reach that given the timeframe?

Cheers!

EDIT: Checked the lessons out at work and they are really great!

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Feb 19 2009, 01:47 PM

--------------------

Guitars & Amps
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 19 2009, 01:56 PM
Instructor
Of course not only Blues,
I said that only because you seems to be very comfortable
with bluesy kind of playing and feel atm, that's all!!
And yes, we'll work on many other things as well,
this is just the start. wink.gif
As for Phrygian lesson, it's fully up to you.
Even if you don't manage to nail lessons I gave you in 7 days
it's no big deal indeed, if you spend some time on them
I'm sure you'll get more power in vibrato and bending anyhow
which is one of our tasks here, just keep on working
and keep me updated! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Feb 19 2009, 04:37 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks a lot for the reply, I will do my utmost best to get as much out of all 3 lessons as possible smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 19 2009, 05:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Feb 19 2009, 04:37 PM) *
Thanks a lot for the reply, I will do my utmost best to get as much out of all 3 lessons as possible smile.gif

Great ! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Feb 23 2009, 01:51 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Just to quickly update you:

I am progressing fairly well with the Modern Blues lesson and the other bending lesson as well.

However one thing that stalls the progress is the fact that after I practice these lessons seriously for about 1 hour, my fingertips are totally ruined each day (and becoming painful as well), so I have to stop practicing those bends at that time (as I don't have enough power in my fingers any more to control it). This only shows to me that I really need to develop this area of bending/vibrato much more in order to get used to it.

Until now, I did not manage to record a video yet which was good enough to show you for the modern blues lesson (but this will happen before Thursday smile.gif). The other bending lesson may take a bit longer, due to the problems with hours of playing these bends currently.

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 23 2009, 01:58 PM
Instructor
No worries Roger, it is quite natural to face issues with finger tips
when working more on bends plus vibrato.
Just do it as you do know, have a break when you feel you need one
and try not to over work it cause sometimes it leads to very serious
problems and you would have to take even longer breaks to heal,
of course you know what you're doing and that won't happen. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Feb 24 2009, 11:47 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Muris,

Here is my first reasonable take on the Modern Blues Soloing lesson. It took me quite a while to get a take without quite a few errors (unfortunately, in this take the 2 whole tone bend is somewhat ruined due to string noise in this take, whilst this was much better in other takes mad.gif ).

After watching the video, I am still not enthousiastic about my vibrato, but I have the feeling it's getting better since I started practicing the lesson.

I would appreciate any pointers to work on.

Gonna spend the remaining days on the other bending lesson smile.gif Could you send me the backing of that lesson?

Cheers
Roger

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Mar 7 2009, 09:05 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Modern_Blues_Lesson.wmv ( 6.24MB ) Number of downloads: 4

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 25 2009, 12:15 AM
Instructor
We're getting there Roger, have no doubt!! smile.gif

Ok, here are few pointers.
First of all, timing was bit wrong here and there
which isn't the must since we are focusing on bends and vibrato only
but you could try to fix that as well,
probably after few more listening to my take you'll get it in total, no rush.

Section 0:16-0:19, I believe you should you ring finger
for all those bends on B and high E string 11th fret,
you'll have much more strength instead of using pinky, give it a try. smile.gif

Now, you could also try to play every bend in the lesson separately for a while,
just like a pure exercise, bend it and add vibrato then repeat it few times,
after that go next bend etc.
This might be boring thing to do but bends need time,
your hand will get used to everything after a while.

Here's one more trick but it's mostly psycho effect tho. wink.gif
You can hit every note you need to bend very hard
and believe me, that will give some sort of confidence to your left hand
to perform even more accurate bends and vibratos.
As you can see in the lesson,
most of the time I was hitting strings like a mad man. laugh.gif

Good work so far Roger and here's backing you asked,
keep working, looking forward to more takes! smile.gif

Attached File  Blues_Bending_Lesson___BT_75_bpm.mp3 ( 982.4K ) Number of downloads: 3

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Feb 25 2009, 07:31 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks Muris,

I noticed that the timing wasn't perfect, but as you said I was focussing a bit more on the other things. I will certain try to bend with the ring finger on the 11th fret (I was even doing that when I started the lesson wink.gif ).

From now on, I will certainly do the bends only for a couple of minutes just to get them in my head.

Cheers!

Roger

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Feb 25 2009, 10:18 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Just a quick update here:

Starting seriously now with the Blues bending lesson, and to my own surprise the whole lesson goes much, much easier now compared to last week when I first tried it. The work on the other lesson really payed off already I guess smile.gif smile.gif

Anyways, gonna keep working on it tonight, and will probably record a video of it on Friday (tomorrow I am having my squash night smile.gif).

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 26 2009, 12:50 AM
Instructor
Thanks for great news Roger and looking forward to see
new clips, keep it up! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Feb 27 2009, 11:03 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hey Muris,

Here is my take on the Blues Bending Lesson. Not all bends are spot-on, but overall I am more or less OK with this take, given the relative short practice period. Done more bending the last week than in my whole life before tongue.gif

Looking forward to your comments and next assignments smile.gif smile.gif

Cheers
Roger

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Mar 7 2009, 09:06 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Blues_Bending.wmv ( 6.01MB ) Number of downloads: 1

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 28 2009, 01:45 AM
Instructor
Oh yeah, I can see you spent lot of time with bending since
this isn't easiest thing to play, no doubt!!

Timing for mostly fine but some bends were kind a out of pitch
so I would ask you to pay more attention on these:
0:09 - you bended it nicely but then you released it not fully,
so you ended somewhere between F and F#, you should end of F#.
0:11 - this bend was too high, watch your steps here!
0:15 - there are 3 whole tone bends here in a row and they were all
pretty low in pitch, just bend them with more power to reach right note.
0:20 - this should be tone and a half bend on A string, pull it heavy!!
0:25 - this one was too high
0:30 - to perform this 2 whole tones bend on G string you have to bend it upwards,
there is no enough fretboard to pull it if you bend downwards.
0:31 - these half tone bends were mostly low in pitch

I believe the tempo is what makes you problems,
it's could be too fast for you atm to play on time
and execute all those bands correctly!
So here is one slower backing for you, it's actually 90% speed of 75 bpm (time stretching),
try it and let me know how it goes, you should have more time with it
to perform all those bends with steady pitch.

Attached File  Blues_Bending_Lesson___BT_Slower.wav ( 7.93MB ) Number of downloads: 1

Can I ask for one more take on each lesson and then we'll go with next assignments? smile.gif

This post has been edited by Muris Varajic: Feb 28 2009, 01:46 AM

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Feb 28 2009, 07:38 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
My fingers are not happy with you anymore Muris tongue.gif tongue.gif

But seriously, thanks for the comments and actually most of the bends you mentioned I already knew that they were not in pitch completely, but it was the best take I had after 1.5 hours from yesterday evening (quite frustrating biggrin.gif ).

What I find in particular difficult is to execute this many bends in a short period of time, all with different amounts of bending.... I find it much easier to occassionnally bend and working on that one to be in pitch, but I guess that's normal.

Anyways, I will work on both lessons this morning a bit, and then I have a big party, so will be away until Sunday afternoon and will see if I can record 2 video's at least by tomorrow or Monday.

Cheers mate!

Roger

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Feb 28 2009, 08:15 AM

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Feb 28 2009, 08:14 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Ok, already made a recording of the Blues Bending lesson with the 90% backing (a night's sleep helps smile.gif ).

I think most of the bends are now better in pitch, a couple are still off (e.g. the double bend in bar 4 is killing my fingers smile.gif ).

I would appreciate if you could let me know whether this one is indeed better than my previous take?

Will record a take of the other lesson maybe still this morning or otherwise tomorrow/monday.

Cheers!

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Mar 7 2009, 09:07 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Blues_Bending_take2.wmv ( 6.84MB ) Number of downloads: 8

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 28 2009, 01:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Feb 28 2009, 07:38 AM) *
What I find in particular difficult is to execute this many bends in a short period of time, all with different amounts of bending.... I find it much easier to occassionnally bend and working on that one to be in pitch, but I guess that's normal.

Absolutely and that's why I went for this lesson, to push you
further up right from the start! smile.gif

QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Feb 28 2009, 08:14 AM) *
I would appreciate if you could let me know whether this one is indeed better than my previous take?

Oh, it was MUCH better!!

I only have one question tho, at 0:16 you seem to play individual bend
instead of adding note with pinky on bended note,why?
That kind of licks is very useful and you can use it much often! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Feb 28 2009, 02:15 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Feb 28 2009, 01:52 PM) *
I only have one question tho, at 0:16 you seem to play individual bend
instead of adding note with pinky on bended note,why?
That kind of licks is very useful and you can use it much often! smile.gif

To be honest: because that particular bend is difficult for me to get right (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't). A matter of practicing this over and over I am sure.

Off to the party now, am glad that the take of this morning was better smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 28 2009, 02:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Feb 28 2009, 02:15 PM) *
To be honest: because that particular bend is difficult for me to get right (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't). A matter of practicing this over and over I am sure.

Off to the party now, am glad that the take of this morning was better smile.gif

I see, with bit more practice these bends will be piece of cake for you,
have fun at party and let me know when you record last take on other lesson. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:28 PM