Stale Jam Sessions
Yantos
Sep 3 2010, 07:50 PM
GMC:er
By buddy somtimes comes over my house to play guitar. He's almost a complete begginer, iv taught him a scale and after 6 months of playing he's finally learned to play a chord after a lot of refusal (a power chord). So I do get to play a bit of lead now and then.

But I mainly play rhythm 90% of the time tho. I like to try to improvise a rhythem for him too play lead over. The thing is i keep running out of idea's and keep playing the same stuff over and over again. Iv started to struggle to think up new chord progessions and ones i do come up with are mainly trail and error guess work.
blink.gif

Any ideas how i could put the spring back into our playing?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Yantos: Sep 3 2010, 07:52 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Sep 3 2010, 09:14 PM
Instructor
dude, start with pentatonics and 12 bar blues, that'll give a lot of fun

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Sep 4 2010, 11:55 AM
Jazz Instructor
Yeah, I think that pentatonic and maybe simple minor scale would be good next step...

+Quote Post
steve25
Sep 4 2010, 01:30 PM
GMC:er
Don't worry this happens to the best of us. When you're playing by yourself try to come up with some riffs that you could use with your friend even if you're repeating that riff over again it's better than just playing the same usual stuff. If you can come up with two that blend well together then use them both and mix them around a bit. Try different rhythms and timings and try to introduce little ornaments if you can just to make it sound a bit more interesting. It might not work so well, but then again it might do.

What sort of music are you playing? As you said you play a lot of power chords I'm going to have a guess and say rock or metal music. When playing the same chords over again you could do open strumming, some palm muting, varying rhythms, single note rhythms etc.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 11 2010, 11:24 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Yantos @ Sep 3 2010, 08:50 PM) *
By buddy somtimes comes over my house to play guitar. He's almost a complete begginer, iv taught him a scale and after 6 months of playing he's finally learned to play a chord after a lot of refusal (a power chord). So I do get to play a bit of lead now and then.

But I mainly play rhythm 90% of the time tho. I like to try to improvise a rhythem for him too play lead over. The thing is i keep running out of idea's and keep playing the same stuff over and over again. Iv started to struggle to think up new chord progessions and ones i do come up with are mainly trail and error guess work.
blink.gif

Any ideas how i could put the spring back into our playing?

Learn some GMC rhythm lessons and use those as inspiration and play them for your buddy to improvise over?

Try to use those progressions and/or to modify them.

Its normal when jamming to get back to comfort zone - but your experimenting will lead you to some interesting places too.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:47 PM