2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Improvement Suggestions..., ...for the lovely gmc :)
Constie
Nov 4 2007, 07:21 AM
GMC:er
So I've got a few ideas for gmc and I hope they are welcome.

One thing that's confusing is the listing of the videos. If I choose a category I'm redirected to the last page on which are about 15 to 20 videos. But the other pages only contain 5 videos.
And the videos aren't sorted at all. On the first page I find old as well as new videos. I think chronological listing would be the best.

...and what about collecting the "lick of the day" for members? Could be some work of reference.

That's it for now. I really hope Kris will be reading this.
I know it's not my website but I only try to make gmc even better smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
You can't take the effect and make it the cause
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Nov 4 2007, 07:22 AM
QUOTE (Constie @ Nov 4 2007, 12:21 AM) *
So I've got a few ideas for gmc and I hope they are welcome.

One thing that's confusing is the listing of the videos. If I choose a category I'm redirected to the last page on which are about 15 to 20 videos. But the other pages only contain 5 videos.
And the videos aren't sorted at all. On the first page I find old as well as new videos. I think chronological listing would be the best.

...and what about collecting the "lick of the day" for members? Could be some work of reference.

That's it for now. I really hope Kris will be reading this.
I know it's not my website but I only try to make gmc even better smile.gif

yeah, chronological order would be good.

About the other suggestion, theres already the full "lick of the day" archive in the Members Uploads board , you can find it there.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Constie
Nov 4 2007, 07:28 AM
Thanks I didn't know!
I'm new to gmc wink.gif

Edit: A link to the Mainpage would be nice anyway wink.gif

This post has been edited by Constie: Nov 4 2007, 07:31 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Nov 4 2007, 07:29 AM
QUOTE (Constie @ Nov 4 2007, 12:28 AM) *
Thanks I didn't know!
I'm new to gmc wink.gif

In that case mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif ................... WELCOME!! biggrin.gif tongue.gif Have fun! Im sure you will ! smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Constie
Nov 4 2007, 07:57 AM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Nov 4 2007, 07:29 AM) *
In that case mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif ................... WELCOME!! biggrin.gif tongue.gif Have fun! Im sure you will ! smile.gif smile.gif

Thank you smile.gif I'm gonna try not to make as much trouble as usually biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Constie: Nov 4 2007, 08:06 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Nov 4 2007, 08:08 AM
QUOTE (Constie @ Nov 4 2007, 12:57 AM) *
Thank you smile.gif I'm gonna try not to make as much trouble as usually biggrin.gif

oh dont worry about that, im sure Andrew can handle it tongue.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif mellow.gif mellow.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Nov 4 2007, 08:54 AM
I just wanted to say while were on the subject of improvment on GMC.i AM SO impressed with how well and how much improvments have already been made here since i first joined in Feb smile.gif We have went from 2 instructor's to like hmm... i dont know how many now biggrin.gif .I just cant complain or find one thing to improve on cause there already doing it.

Also i love how Kris is always willing to add new instructor's,its great to have such a variety .I think that 1 year from now GMC is going to be extremly huge and make Kris a even happier man than he already is smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 4 2007, 08:57 AM
Instructor
Well said Dan,glory to Kris!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Nov 6 2007, 10:01 AM
Good suggestions. Some type of order to the videos pages would be great. Maybe not necessarily ordered by date maybe ordered by difficulty level within that group of videos....

For example I'd think that page 1 would have the easier videos for that group Page 2 would have something a little more advanced and page 3,etc more advanced than the previous pages. Kind of like a build of skill. Each page builds up skills you'll need for the next page,etc.

You know, you can't run before being able to walk and you can't walk before being able to crawl. I hop ethat made sense.

+Quote Post
JVM
Nov 6 2007, 10:05 AM
Learning Roadie
I think kris (and henrik and maria and all the instructors and moderators 8)) are doing an awesome job!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Nov 6 2007, 10:21 AM
Yes they are smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 6 2007, 04:47 PM
GMC Founder
biggrin.gif Thanks all for the kind words - and for the great suggestion!

The video lesson page is complete chaos - no doubt about it! It is very soon going to the bin - we have been working on the new one for a while.

Here is a test version of it (not complete at all but all the things mentioned in this thread are fixed I believe).

Again thanks for the kind words - I will make sure Maria and Henrik see this as they will be very happy! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
IzzyCom
Nov 7 2007, 03:41 AM
Hello everyone!

Nice topic, and I agree the site is improving really fast!!! amazing teachers joining!

But I also agree that few improvements could be made:

- List of videos by level: beginner, intermediate and advanced
It's hard to know sometimes for which category of player the lesson refers too

- A sort of personalized folder where every member could save his favorite lessons, that way we can directly go to the folder to practice (I know we can bookmark but this is better!) smile.gif

Anyways, Kris and the team are doing an excellent job!! I'm really becoming addicted to this website!!

It's gonna be worth millions Kris soon!!! cross ur fingers smile.gif

Cheers!

--------------------
Guitar: Epiphone Black Beauty
Amp: Marshall MG 30DFX
Effects: Line 6 floor pod

+Quote Post
Constie
Nov 10 2007, 05:09 AM
Hey Kris,
I wanted you to know that a LOT of the 101 lessons ( I didn't checked the others) are not listed in their category.
You can only find them by using the search function. blink.gif
For Example: "Barre Chords", "Beginner Licks",
"How To Use A Metronome" and many many more. Must be something wrong with it!
for sure biggrin.gif

Oh I just saw that it works fine at the new beta page you posted above.
Next time I should take a look before I write long replys (I deleted the half smile.gif )

@IzzyCom: Nice picture, I think I know this guy laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Constie: Nov 10 2007, 05:09 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
jammer91
Nov 10 2007, 08:28 PM
QUOTE (IzzyCom @ Nov 7 2007, 06:41 AM) *
- A sort of personalized folder where every member could save his favorite lessons, that way we can directly go to the folder to practice (I know we can bookmark but this is better!) smile.gif

Cheers!

Yeah, that would be great.
We could also have a list of lessons with the most members practicing them on the main page.

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
IzzyCom
Nov 10 2007, 08:52 PM
@IzzyCom: Nice picture, I think I know this guy laugh.gif
[/quote]

smile.gif, guess we have a friend in common!!

--------------------
Guitar: Epiphone Black Beauty
Amp: Marshall MG 30DFX
Effects: Line 6 floor pod

+Quote Post
Constie
Nov 11 2007, 04:02 AM
QUOTE (jammer91 @ Nov 10 2007, 08:28 PM) *
Yeah, that would be great.
We could also have a list of lessons with the most members practicing them on the main page.

I would also like to have a list, where I can save my finished lessons. Right now I'm doing it in a .txt file.

I think about a button which says "lesson complete" or something like that, and if I press it the lesson is added to a list.
Please let me know if this is too much to ask for smile.gif I know that I'm way too comfortable biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Constie: Nov 11 2007, 04:12 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spiderusalem
Nov 11 2007, 04:19 AM
learning lessons is all great. but if we REALLY wanted to set a flagship marker for where we are in our guitar learning, I think a good thing to do would be to write our own pieces using the knowledge from that lesson.

To do so, you'd have to upload a video of yourself playing that piece, or a recording.

I never thought of the lessons themselves as something to be "completed" but rather they are a showcase of maneuvers, a collection of style and musical assembly which we must incorporate into our own playing (instead of trying to play them note for note perfectly).

So a greater victory than "learning the entire Eddie Van Halen Style Lesson" would be "writing/improvising using what I learned from the EVH lesson"

This post has been edited by Spiderusalem: Nov 11 2007, 04:20 AM

--------------------
Equipment: Classical/Jazz hybrid guitar. blunt/black humor.

Success is the best revenge.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 11 2007, 06:02 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Spiderusalem @ Nov 10 2007, 10:19 PM) *
learning lessons is all great. but if we REALLY wanted to set a flagship marker for where we are in our guitar learning, I think a good thing to do would be to write our own pieces using the knowledge from that lesson.

To do so, you'd have to upload a video of yourself playing that piece, or a recording.

I never thought of the lessons themselves as something to be "completed" but rather they are a showcase of maneuvers, a collection of style and musical assembly which we must incorporate into our own playing (instead of trying to play them note for note perfectly).

So a greater victory than "learning the entire Eddie Van Halen Style Lesson" would be "writing/improvising using what I learned from the EVH lesson"

I think there is a lot to be said for that, especially for the "in the style of" type of lessons. For technique lessons like Pavels and Muris' sweeps and altpicking though the aim is to nail it at a high speed IMO.

By the way Spider - don't think you can slip under the radar by changing your Avatar and Sig ... the GMC 24x7 spider-tracer is not fooled ... biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Spiderusalem
Nov 11 2007, 07:01 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Nov 10 2007, 09:02 PM) *
I think there is a lot to be said for that, especially for the "in the style of" type of lessons. For technique lessons like Pavels and Muris' sweeps and altpicking though the aim is to nail it at a high speed IMO.

......so you can combine that high speed with the techniques from the style lessons and become uber cool. again, I think it all comes down to what we can create using all the collective knowledge.

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Nov 10 2007, 09:02 PM) *
By the way Spider - don't think you can slip under the radar by changing your Avatar and Sig ... the GMC 24x7 spider-tracer is not fooled ... biggrin.gif

For a second there, I thought I did laugh.gif

You may be laughing now, but one day my time will come wink.gif

--------------------
Equipment: Classical/Jazz hybrid guitar. blunt/black humor.

Success is the best revenge.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:32 AM