4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Chords For Scales
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 1 2009, 06:22 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (utak3r @ Jan 4 2009, 11:20 AM) *
Oh man, I had prepared a full bag of questions about chords, after reading a whole stuff about scales and single tones... well, it's empty for a while now wink.gif fantastic job, it was a big lack in my knowledge smile.gif

just a quick & simple question:

Let's take we ain't sticked into power chords.... should I play in the second place something like:

---
---
---
-3-
-2-
-1-

?? It builds a good tension, a first thought is some old intro from one of Metallica's songs...

That's actually a flattened 5th, so technically not a power chord, but great for building an evil and tense kid of sound!

QUOTE (vampire14 @ Jan 23 2009, 11:39 AM) *
in the last paragraph you mentioned getting a chord progression first and than write your riffs on the scale that fits.
but how do i know what scale fits? how do i do this process the other way round?

You can figure it out through a process of elimination! Arrange all of your chords and pull the notes out and order them. That gives you a list of notes and if you know your scales you shoould be able to fit one to the notes you have with a little work!

QUOTE (Shiho @ Feb 1 2009, 11:17 AM) *
Hey Guys,

First I wanted to say that I'm a admirer of Andrew's Professional Work, here wink.gif
Thanks a lot.

But I got a question referring to the Em Chord of the D-Major scale.

I tried to figure out the notes myself using your "formula". So after getting done the D-Major chord I came up with the E Minor Chord. If I'm right it consists of the three notes E Gb/F# and B.

So if I wanted to try out the Chord on the guitar it must've got the tab (If I got that right):

-----2--
--------
--------
-----2--
-----2--
---------

But I'm familiar to playing it without the thin E string :

--------
--------
--------
-----2--
-----2--
---------

Why is it a Em, when one of the 3 notes of which it consists isn't played? Is it a power chord then?

It also could be true that I've made any mistake. If so - Please help me to fix it smile.gif

I'm looking forward to your answers.

See you soon smile.gif

Not quite right -

The scale of D major is D E F# G A B C# D

To make a chord from this scale with a root note of E we start at E, skip a note, pick a note skip a note and pick a note, which gives us E G B - these are the notes for E minor

So, looking at the way you normally play it (which is correct) from the low E string up you have:

E B E G B E

All of which are in the chord smile.gif

The not you had on the high E string, F#, whilst in the scale is not part of a basic E minor chord. In fact it is a 9th, which would make the first chord you showed an Em9 - nothing wrong with that, it's still in the scale, just not the chord you were going for smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shiho
Feb 1 2009, 06:40 PM
GMC:er
But is the G of the D-Major scale not the 3rd? And following your formula ("Minor 1,b3,5") the 3rd has to be flattened, hasnt it? So why do you get a G instead of a Gb?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
utak3r
Feb 1 2009, 06:45 PM
QUOTE (Shiho @ Feb 1 2009, 06:40 PM) *
But is the G of the D-Major scale not the 3rd? And following your formula ("Minor 1,b3,5") the 3rd has to be flattened, hasnt it? So why do you get a G instead of a Gb?

You're trying to apply this rule for the second time wink.gif It's already applied... you can't flatten or sharp any note from the scale while building a chord...

--------------------
Machines don't bleed that easily...
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
GrannyKiller
Feb 11 2009, 05:55 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 1 2009, 06:22 PM) *
The not you had on the high E string, F#, whilst in the scale is not part of a basic E minor chord. In fact it is a 9th, which would make the first chord you showed an Em9 - nothing wrong with that, it's still in the scale, just not the chord you were going for smile.gif

Actually it would be an Em+9 chord, since there's no b7 in there. Hope I got it right... biggrin.gif

QUOTE (utak3r @ Feb 1 2009, 06:45 PM) *
You're trying to apply this rule for the second time wink.gif It's already applied... you can't flatten or sharp any note from the scale while building a chord...

Yep...

@Shiho - The correct intervals are already there, in the scale -> that's what makes a bunch of notes a scale. To build chords from the scale, you just use the notes that are already in there and follow a simple formula as Andrew already mentioned a couple of times: take a note - skip a note - take - skip - take a note

@Emir - some of those augmented chord types sound awfully nice... thanx for the formulas bro biggrin.gif

--------------------
A kick in the butt is only another step forward...

.:G.E.A.R:.

Guitars: B.C.Rich Assasin QX6 // Jolana Galaxis (modded by me) // Melodija Menges nylon-acoustic // Vintage EJM-96 Bass

Amps: Marshall AVT50X combo // Roland MicroCube // some cr***y old Newport with a 12" speaker

Effects: Boss GT-10

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 14 2009, 11:53 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (GrannyKiller @ Feb 11 2009, 11:55 AM) *
Actually it would be an Em+9 chord, since there's no b7 in there. Hope I got it right... biggrin.gif

Yes, Em+9, sorry.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:12 AM