Fret Buzz
GuitarZero
Apr 7 2008, 12:57 AM
GMC:er
Hey Guys,
I'm somewhat new to playing guitar, and in need of a bit of help. i recently bought an Ibanez RX4EXQM1, and lately I've been noticing a lot of fret buzz especially on frets 1-7'ish. I took it to my local guitar store, and the guy there said that i simply wasn't pushing hard enough on the string. so when i got home i took his advice and pushed harder on the strings. but
i still have been getting a lot of buzz.

Short(er) version: frets are buzzing, is the buzzing coming from my lack of experience playing? or do i need to go to a guitar tech and have them adjust the guitar?

Thanks for your assistance biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
skennington
Apr 7 2008, 01:13 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (GuitarZero @ Apr 6 2008, 07:57 PM) *
Hey Guys,
I'm somewhat new to playing guitar, and in need of a bit of help. i recently bought an Ibanez RX4EXQM1, and lately I've been noticing a lot of fret buzz especially on frets 1-7'ish. I took it to my local guitar store, and the guy there said that i simply wasn't pushing hard enough on the string. so when i got home i took his advice and pushed harder on the strings. but
i still have been getting a lot of buzz.

Short(er) version: frets are buzzing, is the buzzing coming from my lack of experience playing? or do i need to go to a guitar tech and have them adjust the guitar?

Thanks for your assistance biggrin.gif

Whats up GZ? Could be a number of different things. Old strings,sting height,frets worn. My guess is the action or string height. Some fret buzz is acceptable on the low E and A strings. Do a search as there has been lots of discussion here on this topic. I can't believe the shop did'nt offer you a pro set-up. They make quite a chunk on bench time but it is worth it! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
GuitarZero
Apr 7 2008, 01:23 AM
Sorry for not doing a thorough search, I'll do better at that in the future wink.gif. I did a quick one though and saw one related to neck adjustments could be the cause, i got a bit worried that i would have to take it to a tech i just wasn't sure if that would be the case or not.

Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated biggrin.gif ill have to try changing the strings and hope for the best.

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Apr 7 2008, 01:53 AM
QUOTE (GuitarZero @ Apr 6 2008, 08:23 PM) *
Sorry for not doing a thorough search, I'll do better at that in the future wink.gif . I did a quick one though and saw one related to neck adjustments could be the cause, i got a bit worried that i would have to take it to a tech i just wasn't sure if that would be the case or not.

Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated biggrin.gif ill have to try changing the strings and hope for the best.

No probs man. I would strongly advise you not to try and adjust the truss rod. Neck relief could be needed but leave that up to a pro. Befor you change the strings, Try and bring them up a bit. Not sure what kind of bridge you have there, but it is a pretty easy adj.

+Quote Post
GuitarZero
Apr 7 2008, 02:33 AM
Sorry to sound like a noob, do you know how i would adjust the string height with an edge III tremolo unsure.gif ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Apr 7 2008, 02:39 AM
The holes on both sides of the strings. You need an allen wrench though.

This post has been edited by ibanezkiller: Apr 7 2008, 02:39 AM

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post
skennington
Apr 7 2008, 02:59 AM
Like IK said, there are two allen screws on the front of the bridge.( furthest apart and on the base ) turn each side a little at a time and make sure the bridge is even on both sides. I think it's a 3mm allen that you will need. action differs with every player so find what feels good to you. if you like low action and cant get away from the buzz, then I would say it needs some neck relief. If you bring the action up, and find that you can play at a higher action setting, you may want to adjust the pickup height as well.

+Quote Post
GuitarZero
Apr 7 2008, 03:08 AM
Thank you both for your help and understanding biggrin.gif the height adjustment worked wonders!

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Apr 7 2008, 03:22 AM
Glad to hear man! This is what makes GMC. along with all the great instructors and the lessons they give us, You can always come to the forums and get help. smile.gif

+Quote Post
GuitarZero
Apr 7 2008, 03:27 AM
would i necessarily need to change my pickup height? or would it help my tone if i did so?

EDIT: im also curious, how do you like your Toneport? although its not the same as what you have, its somewhat similar I'll soon be getting a Toneport GX from a rebate offer from my HD150 head and was wondering how much use you get out of it?

This post has been edited by GuitarZero: Apr 7 2008, 03:30 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Apr 7 2008, 03:36 AM
Just depends on how it sounds to you. Again, personal preference. I tend to have mine just at the point of touching the strings when fretting at (on my guitars, the 24th fret).Keep in mind, to adjust to the neck p/u. then adjust the bridge, or if you have a single middle.

+Quote Post
skennington
Apr 7 2008, 03:36 AM
Just depends on how it sounds to you. Again, personal preference. I tend to have mine just at the point of touching the strings when fretting at (on my guitars, the 24th fret).Keep in mind, to adjust to the neck p/u. then adjust the bridge, or if you have a single middle.

+Quote Post
skennington
Apr 7 2008, 03:43 AM
I love my toneport. Great modeling with the standard package and you can always upgrade via Line 6's website. I'm even considering trading my Marshall half stack for a recording package that I've got my eye on!

Sorry for the Dbl post.

Steve

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:43 PM