Blackstar Ht Metal 1h Any Good?
frazzgrun
Jun 16 2014, 03:56 PM
GMC:er
Hello all, i have used a solid state amp for some years now, line 6 spider3 and more recently an Amplifi.

After becoming a little unsatisfied with distortion tones that the Amplifi produces i'm thinking it is time to try a valve amplifier.

I have been looking at the Blackstar HT Metal 1H but i'm just wondering would it be worth saving and try to get the HT Metal 5H, is it worth what would be an extra £140?. Has anyone any experience with either amp?

P.s. I have Aspergers syndrome and as such suffer from anxiety attacks so trying them in a local store isn't exactly an option for me.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Todd Simpson
Jun 16 2014, 05:07 PM
I'm an aspie as well smile.gif I feel your pain. But I gotta say, as hard as it is sometimes to deal with people and crowds, it's worth going in to a music store to try it out. That's a big purchase and making it without putting your ears on it is just a bad idea. sad.gif But you can only do what you can do so.....

The line 6 spider series does have some underwhelming distortion imho. However, you can just use the clean channel and use something else for your gain. For example, you can try a multi effects unit which can be had quite cheaply and you can audition most of them on youtube. Still best to try on your own but at worst at least youtube is somewhat handy as a reference smile.gif

That way you can just add a mult and not have to spend as much and keep the multi when you change amps.

Still, if you are bent on getting a new amp, realize that even a spiff head like the one you are talking about might still need an overdrive pedal in front of it (tube screamer clone of some variety) in order to sound good.

I've tried those little mini amp heads you are talking about and I liked em smile.gif But I like solid state / harsher/mechanical distortion. The non metal versions sound more tubey. But until you play your guitar through it, you won't really know.

QUOTE (frazzgrun @ Jun 16 2014, 10:56 AM) *
Hello all, i have used a solid state amp for some years now, line 6 spider3 and more recently an Amplifi.

After becoming a little unsatisfied with distortion tones that the Amplifi produces i'm thinking it is time to try a valve amplifier.

I have been looking at the Blackstar HT Metal 1H but i'm just wondering would it be worth saving and try to get the HT Metal 5H, is it worth what would be an extra £140?. Has anyone any experience with either amp?

P.s. I have Aspergers syndrome and as such suffer from anxiety attacks so trying them in a local store isn't exactly an option for me.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
frazzgrun
Jun 16 2014, 10:29 PM
Been contemplating what you said. I know you are right but its just a matter of getting there and going in, i suppose just spending 5 minutes with It would give me a much better idea though.

One small problem though, the local store (http://www.reidys.com) doesn't stock the metal variant of the HT1 or 5. I could probably try an inexpensive distortion pedal with the standard ht while i'm there. At the very least it will let me gauge the difference between the 1 watt and 5 watt

Anyway thanks for your input

This post has been edited by frazzgrun: Jun 16 2014, 10:32 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 17 2014, 12:26 AM
Even a few minutes would be very helpful smile.gif I would say sure, grab a distortion box and also an overdrive while you are there. The overdrive will just drive the gain section harder which is what many folks do. A distortion box is typically better at running in to the clean side. Just typically smile.gif

Happy to help!

Todd

QUOTE (frazzgrun @ Jun 16 2014, 05:29 PM) *
Been contemplating what you said. I know you are right but its just a matter of getting there and going in, i suppose just spending 5 minutes with It would give me a much better idea though.

One small problem though, the local store (http://www.reidys.com) doesn't stock the metal variant of the HT1 or 5. I could probably try an inexpensive distortion pedal with the standard ht while i'm there. At the very least it will let me gauge the difference between the 1 watt and 5 watt

Anyway thanks for your input

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jun 17 2014, 03:51 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I have the HT-5, which is similar to the HT-1. It's a great sounding amp, with beautiful cleans and crunchy overdrive tones. However, it's not a gain monster. Maybe the HT-1 Metal is different. I put a Bad Monkey in front of it as a boost and get pretty saturated tones, I couldn't imagine needing more gain.

I actually kind of wish I got the HT-1 simply because the HT-5 is a bit too loud for an apartment with paper thin walls. I didn't though because I was insistent on having an effects loop. That may be something you would want to consider. Although I must add, I am using it through a 4x12 cab, so that might have something to do with the thundering lows laugh.gif I am considering getting a 1x10 or 1x12 open back cabinet. Hopefully that will please the neighbors.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jun 17 2014, 06:39 AM
I agree with Mudbone that the HT5 is too loud for home practice. I am using the HT1RH through a Orange 1x12 cabinet which is perfect for bedroom use.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:29 AM