Theory Quick Tip - Modal Blues
The Professor
Oct 11 2013, 02:32 PM
Theory Instructor
Here is today's theory quick tip, designed to help you get that Bluesy vibe to your more modal approach to soloing over the blues.

"When playing mixolydian scales over a blues progression, mix in the b3 and #4 intervals to bring a bit of the blues sound into your modal playing. Check out any bluesy solo by Guthrie Govan for examples of how this approach sounds in context."

So, the next time you are using a mixolydian mode, 1-2-3-4-5-6-b7-1, to outline the chords of a blues progression, try to mix in the b3 and #4 to produce a 9-note, bluesy scale that mixes a modal and blues sound in your lines over the blues.

What do you think of this theory quick tip? Have you ever tried to mix these two sounds in your solos before? Share your thoughts below.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:30 PM