2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reading Music - Tabs And Music Notation, Part 2 - Music Notation
¤ME¤
Dec 24 2007, 05:47 PM
GMC:er
andrew, when you are explaining accidentals you do it first in the scale of E.
how is it scale of E when you said taht to define what scale it is we should look at the stave line that the last sharp symbol is placed on, and go up 1 degree of the scale? tha last note is C# and on degree up gives me D#? what did i miss`?

thanks for a really great and inspiring lesson wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Feb 10 2008, 10:01 PM
Awesome lesson andrew, But i have a question (as usual sad.gif tongue.gif), its about the rests:

specially the whole rest and the half rest.

You can see that they are located where C is. My question is, do these rests always need to be there? is it correct to put it in another space, say B?

Thanks.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 10 2008, 11:27 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Hi there!

Well a rest has no note so it doesn't matter where on the stave it is - it has no relevance. However, that is the standard way of representing the rests so it would probably be incorrect to move them up or down - I'm not even sure why you would want to do that?

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Feb 11 2008, 12:47 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 10 2008, 04:27 PM) *
Hi there!

Well a rest has no note so it doesn't matter where on the stave it is - it has no relevance. However, that is the standard way of representing the rests so it would probably be incorrect to move them up or down - I'm not even sure why you would want to do that?

Na, just curiosity rolleyes.gif , thanks Andrew smile.gif

Rules are meant to be broken andrew!!! mad.gif lol just kiddin, awesoem lesson! wink.gif

This post has been edited by FretDancer69: Feb 11 2008, 12:48 AM

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Kaneda
Mar 24 2008, 03:37 AM
Other side of the coin
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Feb 11 2008, 12:47 AM) *
Na, just curiosity rolleyes.gif , thanks Andrew smile.gif

Rules are meant to be broken andrew!!! mad.gif lol just kiddin, awesoem lesson! wink.gif

There are a few cases where the rests are moved up and down. Mostly when you're dealing with two different voices in the same staff. Then usually if there's a rest in the lower voice, you'll move the rest down -- both to indicate what voice it belongs to (making the notation more readable) and giving room for any notes in the upper voice. Same thing goes for a rest in the upper voice.

Example from Bach's Goldberg variations:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...dberg-var10.png

+Quote Post
adam1302
May 30 2008, 03:43 PM
thanks this should help me with my exam. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ijdgaf
Jan 2 2009, 02:31 PM
thanks a lot for all of this Andrew!

I used to be able to read music when i was 8 and playing flute (my parents idea tongue.gif) but when i was 11 I switched to drums and stuck to that ever since, so I forgot which note each line of the stave stands for.

I wanted to start playing guitar for years, but it was just about a couple of months back that I have actually come around to buy one. Now, not even a month from my 30th birthday, I am finally getting back on track with being able to read musical notes again.

And even though I live in Europe I know that song as well biggrin.gif

edit: and it's my first post here in this forum biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by ijustdontgiveaf: Jan 2 2009, 02:31 PM

+Quote Post
stevie ray hey h...
Apr 16 2009, 06:26 PM
I can play it , the mystery tune, but is it possible that I don't know it? It does sound familiar. I'm pretty shure that I played it right ... wait a minute I think I know now what it is. If I play the eight notes section (EF#GE) like this: just two times a fourth note (E E) it sounds like something I know, but wth the eight notes I'm not sure it is the same as you mean. This lesson did clear a few things up for me, thanx

Also your other theory lessons, they rock man!

--------------------
If I would have lived in a time where guitars not yet excisted, I would have probably invented suicide

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:53 AM