Need Help With Some Guitar Maintenance, Truss rod, action etc
DaniHel
Dec 7 2008, 05:44 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Hi everyone!

This friday i finally received an ESP Horizon FR II See thru black aqua that i had ordered. It sounds gread, and looks awesome. Yesterday i changed strings to 0.10 (it came with 0.9) and lowered the action. (I like to play with lowest action possible)

But i´m having some trouble...
I have been noticing some fret buzz arround the first half of the fingerboard (open string to 12th fret).

I think i need to adjust the truss rod, and the floyd rose pivots, but i would really like some insight on the matter, on what i should do after i do up one gauge on strings.

Basicly what i want is to have the lowest action possible without fret buzz!

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by DaniHel: Dec 7 2008, 06:30 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FrankW
Dec 7 2008, 06:20 PM
GMC:er
Those are nice guitars. They are usually set up perfectly off the rack. You may have set the action too low. If you didn't have fret buzz before you changed strings and lowered the action, then I'd re-adjust accordingly. I've played those guitars, and they have low action as it is. Hope this helps. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by FrankW: Dec 7 2008, 06:20 PM

+Quote Post
DaniHel
Dec 7 2008, 06:31 PM
Learning Tone Guru
My bad, i said i changed from 0.10 to 0.10 (duh). I changed the stringsfrom SIT 0.9 (factory strings) to Elixir 0.10. Already edited

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Dec 7 2008, 06:33 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Im not an expert on this but would it help if you just changed them back to 0.09s?

+Quote Post
FrankW
Dec 7 2008, 06:44 PM
QUOTE (DaniHel @ Dec 7 2008, 06:31 PM) *
My bad, i said i changed from 0.10 to 0.10 (duh). I changed the stringsfrom SIT 0.9 (factory strings) to Elixir 0.10. Already edited

In that case, the string gauge difference is pulling your Floyd up, yes? You will need to increase the spring tension inside the back of your guitar. You may have to add a spring to compensate for the extra "pull" of the heavier string gauge. But, I'd still put your action adjustment back to where it was first.

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm

Check out this link for further clarification. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Dec 8 2008, 04:26 AM
QUOTE (DaniHel @ Dec 7 2008, 05:44 PM) *
Hi everyone!

This friday i finally received an ESP Horizon FR II See thru black aqua that i had ordered. It sounds gread, and looks awesome. Yesterday i changed strings to 0.10 (it came with 0.9) and lowered the action. (I like to play with lowest action possible)

But i´m having some trouble...
I have been noticing some fret buzz arround the first half of the fingerboard (open string to 12th fret).

I think i need to adjust the truss rod, and the floyd rose pivots, but i would really like some insight on the matter, on what i should do after i do up one gauge on strings.

Basicly what i want is to have the lowest action possible without fret buzz!

Thanks!

I haven't read anyone else's posts but here's my take:

If the 1-12th frets are buzzing, you might have a bow in your neck (read everything before you panic haha). This means that the mid of the neck has the lowest action. This makes for bad buzzing, because that's the part of the string that is going to have the most movement. Makes sense, because the 12th fret is exactly the mid point of the string.

BUT....since you lowered the action, it makes sense that the 12th fret is buzzing. Look down the neck (from the head to the bridge) and see if it is straight. A new guitar shouldn't have much a bow if any.

If the neck looks straight, don't touch the trussrod. Infact, don't touch the trussrod even if the neck is bowed (take it to a shop, it's only around $30-$50 for a complete setup at an honest shop).

Now, if the neck is straight just raise the action again. At the 12th fret, the strings sound be just over a quarter's thickness. Note: if your action is too low, you won't be able to do pinched harmonics very well.

Hope this helps ya out.

craig

PS - Awesome looking guitar man.

This post has been edited by Sircraigery: Dec 8 2008, 04:31 AM

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Dec 8 2008, 04:36 AM
Instructor
I recommend some material for that issue:

Video:
Dan Erlewine - Maintenance And Setup For Electric Guitars And Basses
Mark Arnquist - Guitar Setup And Maintenance

Books:

Dennis Waring & David Raymond - Make Your Own Electric Guitar & Bass
Martin Koch - Building Electric Guitars (there's an E-book)
Dan Erlewine - Guitar Player Repair Guide

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Dec 8 2008, 04:49 AM
QUOTE (Ramiro Delforte @ Dec 8 2008, 04:36 AM) *
I recommend some material for that issue:

Video:
Dan Erlewine - Maintenance And Setup For Electric Guitars And Basses
Mark Arnquist - Guitar Setup And Maintenance

Books:

Dennis Waring & David Raymond - Make Your Own Electric Guitar & Bass
Martin Koch - Building Electric Guitars (there's an E-book)
Dan Erlewine - Guitar Player Repair Guide

I agree.

Don't be afraid to do things yourself, but make sure you have the back round knowledge to know what effects turning the screws will have. If your really broke and can't pay someone to do it or really hellbent on doing it yourself, there's no harm in even heading to the shop and asking questions with a guitar in hand. When working with truss rods, only make minor adjustments at a time. Give the wood time to settle properly.

This post has been edited by Sircraigery: Dec 8 2008, 04:50 AM

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Dec 8 2008, 02:39 PM
It's because you changed the string gauge no doubt... I highly doubt it's the truss rod. I would suggest either bring your guitar to a shop and have it setup properly with your desired string gauge or go back to 9s.

+Quote Post
Tomas Santa Clar...
Dec 8 2008, 03:09 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Dude

i was in that situation not a month ago
i decided to go with 10 strings without knowing it would pressure my neck
i was told to go back to the 9s (and i also prefer the 9s better for bends and lead guitar)

i recommenc you change to .009 again

good luck mate!

+Quote Post
Xuestor
Dec 8 2008, 03:54 PM
If you remember how much u lowered the action, Then screw it back to the original position, and THEN, adjust the springs on the back. But, if you don't know how to do it, read and watch ALOT of videos, theres plenty about this on youtube. If you still ain't sure about it, take it to a tech. It's a shame to ruin such a beautiful guitar. It deserves to be set up top notch.

This post has been edited by Xuestor: Dec 8 2008, 03:55 PM

--------------------
Gear:
Epi LP with SD SH-2/SD SH-6
Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS Bourbon burst
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Vintage Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco burst
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head with 2*12 Celestion Vintage 30's Cab

Grammatic Professional auf Schweden

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Dec 8 2008, 04:25 PM
Instructor
Maybe the extra tension has caused the neck to bow forward a little, this is called relief, lowest action is achieved with little relief, all frets at same height. Check relief by pressing on 1st fret and 12th fret, look if there is space between the string and a fret in the middle of the neck such as fret 7. If you do, you might need to give your truss rod half a turn and check again, raise your bridge until there is no fret buzz, and start lowering little by little and testing the guitar for no fret buzz.

Sometimes everything seems fine except for one fret that is giving problems sometimes this requires filing the fret, but at this point take it to a pro, don't do this yourself

Also easy on the truss rod, if the desired amount of relief or straightness is not achieved within very few turns, leave it as it is, and take it to a tech

good luck

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Dec 8 2008, 04:43 PM
I am 110% sure that its because you change string guages, and now your floyd is our of whack...

the floyd needs to be parallel with your body...

this will solve all your problems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1c-7-VMY_w

if you still have trouble after that,

check to see how low your action is, it could be too low, but i doubt thats it

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:34 PM